Alarm Help

todd96

Hello all,

I have a 1995 xe 4x4 with an automatic. From what I have been able to find on this forum my pathy has the optional dealer installed factory alarm. I have an on/off "contact" switch on the center console, and I can deactivate it with the key fob (which says pathfinder) I hate the alarm system with a deep, burning passion!!! Twice the thing has left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. It seems to have a starter kill switch, which appears to be getting randomly activated. Some times all I have to do is use the key fob to be able to start it. Other times I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery, and then it will work. On yet other occasions I just need to wait a few hours. There appears to be no pattern to it.

How do I fix this? Wiring and electrical work is my weak point. Is there something wrong with the alarm? The ignition? Is there any easy way to disable the alarm. I really do not need it (or the key fob), particullary if it is going to keep doing this. Should I just take it to my loacal Nissan Dealer and ask them to remove it? If this happens again my wife is threatening to make me sell the pathy and buy a 4runner. Help! Thanks.

Since we are on this, my alarm is doing stuff also.

When I have the switch in the "Off" position, the alarm will just randomly go off by itself, and I don't think because of wind or anything.

But, when I put the switch in the "Middle" position, in between on and off, it stays nice.

I don't know yet what will happen when it's in the "On" position. Have bigger issues I'm trying to resolve first.

One thing though, both my door locks are broke (won't work), one door won't open from the outside, one door using the electric lock the nob won't go up and down, and one door the light switch that comes on and off is broke. Don't know if any of those things might be related to the Alarm problem, thought I might mention just in case.

If you pull the driver's seat, you'll see the alarm underneath (it's got an antenna). The truck (well, mine anyway) will run with the alarm unplugged. I don't think the alarm has a starter kill to it, so you may be looking at another problem there. Unplug it, see if you still have issues. If nothing else it'll help you track down what the actual problem is.

And Lee, yeah, I'd wager that the broken locks are part if not all of your problem.

Ok, so I unpluged and removed the alarm unit from under the seat and the alarm seems disabled. I don't know if this will fix my issue or not, but should I also remove all the related wiring and equipment? In the past I have replaced the starter, so I am pretty sure it is not the starter. I also had a mechanic replace the wiring harness to the starter, so it should be ok. Thanks for all of the advice so far. Any additional input wold be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, so I unpluged and removed the alarm unit from under the seat and the alarm seems disabled. I don't know if this will fix my issue or not, but should I also remove all the related wiring and equipment? In the past I have replaced the starter, so I am pretty sure it is not the starter. I also had a mechanic replace the wiring harness to the starter, so it should be ok. Thanks for all of the advice so far. Any additional input wold be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd just leave the wiring. You may decide you want to fix it one day.

Factory alarm, it's more of a keyless entry than anything, does NOT have a starter kill switch. Something else is your problem. Could be a bad ground.

Also, I'm in need of an alarm fob.