H233B Differential Options

drewp29

So I posted this over on nicoclub, but at Towncivilians advice I am going to post it here as well.

I had a buddy of mine take a look at my 02 Pathy on Saturday, due to some vibration issues at 45mph and 55-70mph, and while the truck was up on the lift we accelerated to about 55mph and the rear differential was making some horrible noises the whole time, but particularly when the speed was increased to 55 and under engine braking. We drained the differential and the amount of metal shavings and chunks that came out was incredible!

So it was determined the rear diff is pretty shot and I'll need to get it fixed in the near future. I have only had the truck about 4 months and the noise has been present the entire time (156k currently on the OD). I got a pretty sweet deal on it so I am not too worried about putting money into it to fix the issues it has.

I am not planning on any hardcore wheeling, just some off the beaten path trailheads for mountain biking.

So what would you recommend? Looking for a used but good condition rear axle? Or should I look for an aftermarket upgrade?

If I go aftermarket, please give me some recommendations . . .

Thanks!

There aren't any aftermarket replacements, so I would recommend looking for a used (junkyard) third member (the front part of the rear diff, bolts to the axle housing, and contains all of the important stuff that's causing you grief right now).

Thanks XPLORx4 - so no options other than a used one? How about if I went with like an ARB Air Locker or a Detroit . . . or are there parts in mine that I need to use with the ARB or Detroit and thus would need a new one anyway? Not totally sure what all gets replaced with the Locker. Or is that overkill for my limited wheeling application?

It's the LSD rear, so I am assuming 33 spline? or am I wrong on that?

Edited by drewp29

Check and make sure the ratio's the same, there should be a plate on your door jamb (?). If it's a different ratio, it'll work, but your speedometer will be inaccurate.

The gear ratio is on the certification plate on the passenger firewall. HG43 = 4.363 ratio, HG46 = 4.636 ratio.

Around these parts the local pull a part sells complete axles for $149 plus a core fee of $9.00.

As long as you find the right ratio as mentioned above you will be good to go.

I looked under multiple R50's today in Nashville and Lavergne... All had the H233B, most were disc brake with LSD... several of each ratio...

It really depends on what parts are shot... Even if you went with an arb, it does not come with the ring gear... Check if the chunks of metals came from the ring gear and/or the spider gears (inside the core)... You might just have a bad ring and pinion and could be ok just changing these.. This you could easily find in a junkyard without having to go check in person..just use www.car-part.com .

Not sure if you have a lsd or open diff. but for limited wheeling there is no point of buying a 1000$ arb plus the time and side parts (bearings, seals) that goes with it... I would look fo an lsd and there is even a great how-to from laxman somewhere when he added friction disks to his..

Start with the 1st step and verify what exactly is shot...

What? R50s with rear discs? There was no factory option for discs on any year R50, and I've only seen pics of one or two rear disc swaps and I don't know how that was achieved.

That's my understanding too . . . but a boy can dream right? :)

I checked the firewall on the passenger side and the stamped tag says it is a HG43 rear drive assembly.

SNIP . . . there is even a great how-to from laxman somewhere when he added friction disks to his..

I was actually reading that and thought it would be a great idea. I'm fairly handy with a wrench but projects usually take longer than I expect. I drive my Pathy currently to work during the week and would need to have everything back together in a couple days. I might take a longer look at that thread and compare to the service manual to see if I feel the job is doable for my skill level given time restraints.

So I searched Colorado on car-part.com and came up with a rear axle assembly with a locking diff, with only 70k miles on it and graded an A. It shouldn't make a difference that it came from an automatic transmission and mine is a 5spd should it? Just wondering why they would include AT in the description if it doesn't matter.

Edited by drewp29

I might be wrong here, but couldn't one swap in either an HG43 or HG46 geared H233B and not worry about gear ratios at all, since both are paired with the R200A front differential from the factory? :shrug:

Edited by Towncivilian

I might be wrong here, but couldn't one swap in either an HG43 or HG46 third member and not worry about gear ratios at all, since both are paired with the R200A front differential from the factory? :shrug:

I think you are right. I would be very surprised if the core between the hg43 and hg46 are different. It's really just the ring and pinion that's important (between these two)... but I cannot confirm 100%... some part numbers comparisaon at courtesy would need to be done between a core of a hg46 and one of hg43... I would expect them to be the same part number...

I might be wrong here, but couldn't one swap in either an HG43 or HG46 geared H233B and not worry about gear ratios at all, since both are paired with the R200A front differential from the factory? :shrug:

I think you are right. I would be very surprised if the core between the hg43 and hg46 are different. It's really just the ring and pinion that's important (between these two)... but I cannot confirm 100%... some part numbers comparisaon at courtesy would need to be done between a core of a hg46 and one of hg43... I would expect them to be the same part number...

Maybe I'm missing the intent here but your R200A front is going to be geared to match the HG43 rear end you had. You're going to want to swap either a full JY axle or third member from an another HG43 truck. The gear ratio is important, don't pull an HG46 rear unless you plan to re-gear the front diff also. Unless your gears are good and you're just replacing the carrier even then not 100% sure. Best to have a look first.

yes of course if you change ratio, change the front too !

I just compared part numbers between pathfinders of 96-97 (hg46), pathfinder 2001+ (hg43) and even xterra and frontier 2001+ (hg49) !Yess 4.90:1 ratio...

It's all the same core diff part number : 38421 so it's confirmed... the internal is the same..just the ring and pinion ratio changes... happy hunting !

Now just to be clear... I was under a ton of Pathfinders today... and a few isuzu's too! I may have mistaken one of the WD21's for an R50. I don't know for a fact that the R50 did not come with a rear disc option...

Seriously, I apologize if I posted wrong information...

So what you are saying is the Auto rear axle is a HG46? Apparently so according to Desert Rat . . . Damn now I gotta start hunting. Of course it wouldn't be as easy since the 5spd is different and there are almost ZERO 5spd Pathfinders.

linky What Axle Do I Have

Now just to be clear... I was under a ton of Pathfinders today... and a few isuzu's too! I may have mistaken one of the WD21's for an R50. I don't know for a fact that the R50 did not come with a rear disc option...

Seriously, I apologize if I posted wrong information...

No worries . . . but you kinda got my hopes up :blush02::rolleyes:

I have a 5 speed with a 4.6 I have seen auto's with 4.3 when looking for a rear for my pathfinder so all you can do is make sure what you get matches what you have.

Sweet, good to know . . . I was afraid with the rarity of the 5spd trannys that I would be SOL and have to change gear ratios front and rear, which would suck.

Thanks!

So I found a used Rear Axle Assembly HG43 (confirmed) in excellent condition for $450 out of a 2002 Pathfinder. I can get it to my place for free because the salvage yard makes regular trips to my neck of the prairie.

This seems like decent price compared to the others I have seen, and I don't have to trailer it myself. What do you think? Should I pull the trigger?

So who has some extra friction plates/discs they'd like to give me a good deal on so I can build this thing before I swap it in? :laugh::jig::lmao::aok: