sticking starter

feyd313

The starter in my 91SE often continues to run after the engine is started. Not completely though. The starter motor continues to spin, but it's not engaged. It's really dragging the battery/alternator down (the voltage often reads just under 14 when I'm driving), and I'm ofter needing a jump after I've reached my destination. I'm not sure if it's the ignition switch or maybe the inhibitor relay.

Either that or I'm completely delusional. I'm pretty sure it's the starter I hear running, and I'm not really sure why else my voltage would be running so low. If the alternator was failing I would think I would have bigger problems.

Unless the contacts in your solenoid are truly knackered, it shouldn't be running at all unless it's engaged. There is a one-way clutch in the starter gear (which engages the flywheel) to prevent the starter from flinging apart when the engine starts. Once the engine's going, if it's still engaged, it should turn without too much resistance... maybe easily enough that you wouldn't hear the gears.

The only thing I can think of (short of an extreme case of noob-rigged wiring) is that your ignition column switch is sticking. I'm not sure which wire does what, but the lower part of the dash is easy to remove, and the ignition contacts are right out in the open once you remove the cover around the steering column. Disconnect the battery and mess around with a voltmeter (or a battery and a tail light bulb) to figure out which wire goes to the starter, then see if it's sticking. If this is the case, I'm not sure how your starter is still functional. I'd expect the motor to burn out pretty quickly, though perhaps without a load it doesn't heat up as much.

You might also try rigging some kind of switch to the starter's positive lead. Start the car, disconnect the lead, see if it's still making the noise. If it is, it's not the starter, though I can't think what else it could be.