Adding a AUX input to Stock Head Unit?

MahPathy

Hey Guys,

I was, at one time (about 3 days ago), looking at getting a new head unit, mostly so I could get a AUX input and be able to play my custom CD's. Well, after getting my check I decided that I needed to worry more about getting my misfiring problem fixed (caused it is leading to me barely getting 10 MPG!). So, I took to Google to see if it was possible to add a AUX port to a stock head unit.. Well, I found some interesting results and was just wondering if I could get your guys' opinion on if it is possible with my pathfinder and if so how much different it would be from the links! And, if you guys could give me any advice that would be great.. Thanks in advance!

Link 1

Link 2

I would tend to think anything is possible in regards to adding an auxiliary line-in to the factory system. I'm not sure how much amplifying the head unit itself does, because there is another amp located in the trunk. Feed that amp your audio and there you go. There is mention in the links you provided that the stereo will need to be on and playing for the pass through to work even though the signal is coming from outside. I hope someone who knows something about car audio chimes in, as this would be a good mod for a number of reasons.

1: Save the cost of an aftermarket head unit if all you want is the AUX line-in.

2: Wheeling on rough washboard or rocky roads and in dusty conditions seems to take a heavy toll on aftermarket head units (particularly the detachable face plate kind) aforementioned new HU might develop problems quickly. (Mine is)

3: No flashy stereo to tempt would-be thieves to break in to your pathy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I just got done doing this to an aftermarket stereo that didn't have an RCA output. I bought the adapter from wal-mart for $20. Just plug in two wires from the head unit to the front/or rear speakers, and splice the wire to the speaker from there out.

First off thanks for all the replies!

@devonianwalk

I found a really nice aftermarket head unit that has a harness etc etc for $65 (shipping included) buy there are 2 main reasons I want to go about doing this. One is I am a HUGE DIYer and this is a project that I think is interesting! And, secondly I am more concerned about spending money to fix the probems I have now like my misfiring problem and this is/was like a 5 dollar job! So I was like "what the hay; why not?" haha.

@clkindred

I totally agree! People who like there head unit, or just don't want to buy a aftermarket one could benefit from this.. Or, if your like me and want to play your custom CD's and you can't haha! And that is a good thing to know about the aftermarket one.. I don't go mudding a lot but still I'm going to keep that in mind cause I have a few friends who do.

@Towncivilian

thanks for the link!

@amfq120

Would that work the same way with the stock one? (And, it sounds like you know what your doing so if you could answer my question below that would be great!)

Thanks for all the replies guys! Now on to another question! If I go about about buying that $3 aux port will I need to buy additional wires or will the ones running through/for the CD player will work? If so can you tell me (or better yet link me) to the wires I would need and like a simple diagram on the first link (that is if it needs to be different?). Now this will be the first time I really do anything with audio but I am technology inclined and I am willing to learn! Big thanks in advance!!

Tape adapter...

Fm Transmitter...

FM modulator...

Splicing the connection like in the link isn't the greatest solution because it's never a good idea to send signal to an output and it might cause some impedance issues which would compromise sound quality.

But if you want to try it, what can I do to stop you? :shrug:

Chances are you won't fry anything, but you certainly could in the long run.

Tape adapter...

Fm Transmitter...

FM modulator...

Splicing the connection like in the link isn't the greatest solution because it's never a good idea to send signal to an output and it might cause some impedance issues which would compromise sound quality.

But if you want to try it, what can I do to stop you? :shrug:

Chances are you won't fry anything, but you certainly could in the long run.

First off I just want to say please don't take my reply to be a "smart elic" one or anything of that sort.

Now, on to my response/question! (haha :) ) Why is it a bad idea to send signal to an output? And, I have borrowed my friends fm transmitter, and it was 'ok' I just wanted to at least try the aux port idea to see if it would be any better. And, it was just going to be for a few months anyways probably till summer or so! :D

The problem is if the iPod's rigged in, and the wires to the stereo are intact, some of the signal will be lost to the stereo.

Probably best to try whatever you hook up with a cheap old CD player or something first. I accidentally plugged my iPod into a line out instead of line in once, and pretty well fried it. It still worked, it was just a whole lot louder on one side than the other.

IIRC the end of the plug is ground, and the two bands are signal R and L... double check though, I could be wrong.