Full size spare

Spare Tire  

22 members have voted

1. 1. If you have a fullsize spare, do you include it in tire rotations?

• Dont have a fullsize spare
    • Yes
    • No
    • Shhh....im not telling

yes I do... not only do your tires wear 20% slower, but you end up having a spare that is always the same size than the others... It`s more work but it well worth it... think also when you sell them...

yes I do... not only do your tires wear 20% slower, but you end up having a spare that is always the same size than the others... It`s more work but it well worth it... think also when you sell them...

thanks steve, i only have about 6k on my new(ish) duratracs and i was thinking of throwing the spare into the rotation. I just got them rotated a few hundred miles ago. i ended up buying the spare later the the original 4 :headwall:

this may be a dumb question but, how exactly do you rotate?

I was thinking that when i do ill take the spare and put it on the right rear, then just take the right rear and put it in the cargo rack. (and yes i ended up buying a cargo rack already :hide: ).

Then the next rotation, should i go counter-clockwise around? and always take the left rear and put in the cargo rack or...

Absolutely rotate it in, if it's close to the same tread depth as the others. As Fleurys said you'll get 20% more wear out of your tires. I wouldn't rotate a brand new spare into 4 already well worn tires. This will wear your spare out quicker and could wear out drive train components due to the different rolling distance front/back in 4WD, or side to side. At 6K I would rotate it in, tires are expensive, the more wear you can get out of them the better. I've always understood the best way to rotate is front Left to rear right, front right to rear left, then just randomly rotate the spare in.

I voted no, but...

I should have rotated it in, but never did. Now I can't. It's still the original tire (note to self...check my spare...).

I now run 4 upsized tires 3 seasons, and 4 studded snows winter.

Wait.... we're supposed to rotate our tires? I bought mine used with camber wear, so not much I can do with rotation. But if I bought 5 brand new tires... depending on if I REALLY liked them. I would rotate all five. if I didn't really like them, I'd just rotate the four and keep the spare "NEW" to be able to sell it for top dollar when I switch tread/brand later on down the road.

I don't include it in the rotation because the rim it's mounted on is a steel rim, unlike the others. So rotating the spare would mean unmounting and remounting the tires on the rims, which I don't have the equipment for and I do my own rotation.

I just rotate my rear tires straight forward and cross the fronts to the rear. I always check the psi in the spare, though. I think the spare is about 10 years old, but it still holds air!

I don't include it in the rotation because the rim it's mounted on is a steel rim, unlike the others. So rotating the spare would mean unmounting and remounting the tires on the rims, which I don't have the equipment for and I do my own rotation.

I just rotate my rear tires straight forward and cross the fronts to the rear. I always check the psi in the spare, though. I think the spare is about 10 years old, but it still holds air!

Sadly, just because it holds air, doesn't mean it's a good tire.

My spare is the factory as well, (I want to say Bridgestone Dueler HT? But i haven't looked down there in a while).

I was thinking next set of tires I buy that I should buy 5. Does anyone know if a 31x10.5x15 will fit underneath? I have a roof box so putting it up on the roof isn't an option.

My factory spare held air until the day we got rid of it... despite deep cracks in the tread and sidewall. Glad I never had to use it!

Mine had the cargo area spare mount when I got it. The tire had a cloth cover, so it has no cracks or anything. Still looks new after 16 years! I was told that since it was never really exposed to uv light and road salt, that it should be fine.

I voted don't have a full size, because tires are pricey, and when I bought my 33" duratracs, I couldn't afford a 5th tire. I have no spare right now but am getting a matching size spare in the spring.

Edited by adamzan

I was thinking next set of tires I buy that I should buy 5. Does anyone know if a 31x10.5x15 will fit underneath? I have a roof box so putting it up on the roof isn't an option.

Mine didn't fit.

I suggest adding it into the rotation (preferred to have a matching wheel) but I personally don't do it as my spares are normally not super happy and generally on a wheel that is different design/width/offset/etc so that it would look funny... and image is everything :lol:

I no longer carry a spare. I figure if I get a flat I'm getting a ride home to get a "real" jack and a four way so I'll get the spare at the same time.