Multiple Radom Misfires?

MahPathy

Hey Guys,

I have had this problem sense buying my pathfinder and I was wondering if I could get some help from you guys! First off let me say that my dad knows a lot about cars and we have replaced a lot of things that might have led to this problem! And the funny thing is while we have changed many of the things associated with this problem that might have fixed it, but while they didn't fix it they obviously needed to be changed anyways!

First off my pathfinder is a 1997 pathfinder and has about 187k miles. Secondly, we have done many things so far and that includes putting a new starter in it(doesn't have to do with this particular problem, but just wanted to mention it anyways!), replaced the fuel pump (i'm pretty sure on this one..) , air filter, and some little part that has to do with the fuel this is located in the back and is about 7 centimeters big with two opening that does something with the fuel.. (Sorry for not knowing the name on that one but I will check with my dad later)

So, basically from what we have read the only real things left are the fuel pressure regulator ($62), spark plugs (my dad checked these and said they don't look bad), distributor cap and ignition rotor.

Now we read it could also have something to do with the cats (catalytic converter) but my dad said it would be misfiring all the time. Cause it is almost random on when it missfires..

I hope someone can help me cause right now my truck is eating my wallet inside out for gas.. Cause it is getting 10 mpg and probably less than that! Not to mention accelerating is kind of scary.. It will be a while before I can get anything but any ideas so I don' have to kill myself even more money wise would be great.. C

Thanks in advance!

The fuel-related component you describe sounds like the fuel filter.

Misfiring rarely has anything to do with the catalytic converters, but constant misfiring over a long period of time will severely harm the cats.

Can you get the current engine codes pulled at an auto parts store like AutoZone?

I'd start with replacing the distributor, cap, and rotor.

Yes, exactly. Your vehicle has a OBD2 system so you just need to get the codes read (usually for free at large auto parts stores). You can buy a reader (a worthy investment in my book) but just get the cheap base model, all it needs to do is read the codes and clear them. If your CEL isn't on, I suspect the bulb is burnt out.

Anything ignition (wires, cap, rotor) could be suspect but rather than inspecting for obvious issues, check the codes! The break down for the codes can be had by downloading the Factory Service Manual by going to the Garage section/pinned Factory Service Manuals thread and downloading a copy of your year. It also will have a Diagnosis section that is always a good read.

B

Thanks for the replies! First off I asked my dad and what I was trying to explain was the fuel filter.. The old one you could just very blow through it lol.. So you were right! haha. The distributor cap and rotor ignition will probably be what we try next. And my dad has one of those code readers which is how I knew the code s said multiple random misfires :) (sorry if I didn't say that!)

Thanks for the replies!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys my dad and I have replaced every part that was leading to the misfires! (And, fixed a spark plug wire leading to cylinder 5) Which means we did get that problem done!

But, I have ran into another problem and I thought I would just ask it here instead of asking another question! We got the code P0100 which is a MAF (mass airflow sensor) circuit malfunction. Which, after doing some research, could be a malfunctioned MAF or a circuit error (a circuit or something being screwey). Basically I just wanted to ask you guys how we could go about checking the circuit running to the MAF cause the MAF is $200 at our local AutoZone and if it turned out to be something as simple as that apposed to replacing the MAF that wold be great!

So, a little extra info is that we cleaned the MAF with commercial MAF cleaner from AutoZone (and we let it soak over night). And it has a rough idle and dies if you don't keep revving it (from the MAF/MAF circuit) and even when we can get it to idle correctly when you put it in drive (or reverse but not neutral) it shakes and the such like it isn't getting enough gas and just dies.. Even if it idles 'ok' or 'good'. And just to add this this all started when my dad took it to the bank and it ran out of gas. At first we thought it might have sucked up tomuch air cause that is what the truck did one time.. But, thanks in advance for any/all help!

Hmm, sounds like a Air flow meter. Try disconnecting it and letting it run in failsafe(it may throw another code). If it idles normally, then it might be time for a new unit. It could also be a vacuum leak. Make sure all hoses are plugged in(even the small ones that are on the back of the intake) and clamps are tight.

If you ran it low enough to run out of gas, a new fuel filter can't hurt, especially if it hasn't been changed for a while. You tend to suck up any crap on the bottom...

As for the MAF, I have heard people complain of problems after using MAF cleaner (seriously). I recommend removing the MAF and clean the elements with a Q-tip and alcohol. Be gentle, of course. Make sure that no connection is broken. Reinstall and look at the wiring clip. Are all the pins there, all the wire attached? Reconnect and run it; any difference??

B

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies! (And, sorry for my late reply!)

My mom and dad went back to Tennessee for the week (and will be back this Thursday)and my dad took the MAF with him so he could go talk to our old local mechic to get his opinion and to see if he another one we could get.. So, after he gets back I'll mkae sure to post and tell you guys if that fixed our problem.. Which I hope it does cause I really want to start driving my Pathy again!

Have a great day everyone!!