How to: Replace Strut Rod Bushings

hcr32

Yea my strut rod bearing just gave out its clunking on every turn....waiting for the new bushing kits to arrive and hoping the labor costs to have all the bushings in the front end wont cost me an arm and a leg though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well got all the work done along with replacing every other rubber component in the engine & front suspension (ugh $$$$ timing belt, water pump, upper / lower oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, cam seals, Upper & Lower control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, inner & outer toe links, center link and upper & lower ball joints etc) the noises are 99% gone in the front and the engine has never run this good!

They also tightened the torsion bars so the front end isn't sagging as bad... but when I go over a speed bump and the front end bounces, there's still a little bit of squeaking. So I'm guessing the only thing left to do is replace the torsion bars? Are there bushings that go with the torsion bars? or did they not lube some of the bushings properly? Thanks

If they're not black, they're poly. My strut rod bushings were Moogs IIRC. And yeah, from what I've heard ungreased poly bushings make all kinds of noise. Chances are a shop would know this. I got rid of a little squeak on mine by greasing the sway bar links, dead simple and it helped.

And yeah, the T-bars aren't really a thing that can squeak.

• 4 weeks later...

Took it back to the stealership to make them fix the noise since none of these new parts fixed the issue and I rode along with the technician over speed humps and told him to go over it about 15-25mph and he said "oh yea all trucks make that noise even new ones" im like seriously dude? wtf? and then he said "you're not supposed to drive that fast over speed bumps anyways" and then he said "its your front bumper that's loose" which makes no noise whatsoever.. then they said yea its $524 for a new bumper im like uh no.

ugh....... then they kept going back to blaming the aftermarket parts... what else can i do? It sounds like an old spring somewhere that is rubbing up against something... hard to describe. And can not be reproduced by bouncing the truck by hand when its parked......so annoying.

Can you get the sound on video? Sounds like that mechanic is an idiot.

This same shop tells you this, and in your other thread you don't have fusible links. Adamzan sounds spot on, these techs suck.

Yea agreed....its Glendale Nissan dealership and I've argued with the service Manger for at least 2 hours over this...... and they pretty much forced me to replace the sway bar end links bc the bushings weren't installed in the proper order... They wouldn't just remove the aftermarket bushings and put them back on in the right order... anyways im pretty much SOL as they've already got $650 in parts & labor in this thing + the $330 starter that won't fix the problem... I'm going to go back on monday afternoon and show them the part numbers for the fusible links and make them show me where they go.... this is inexcusable.

I rode along with the technician over speed humps and told him to go over it about 15-25mph and he said "oh yea all trucks make that noise even new ones" im like seriously dude? wtf? and then he said "you're not supposed to drive that fast over speed bumps anyways"

He is undeniably right about this part anyway. Speed bumps are there to slow you down and 90% of the ones I have seen are in 25mph zones in the first place. The only vehicles that I have owned that wouldn't complain about that kind of treatment were enduro motorcycles. They may be jacking you around on other things, but this one is spot on.

We really do need to stay on the topic of replacing strut rod bushings or take it elsewhere though, this is a How To write up after all.

Thanks,

B

my point was that this is the only way to reproduce the sound.. I was just irritated that they're trying to deflect the issue saying that its normal... not that anyone *should* be hitting speed bumps at 25mph.. I do it all the time and its fine. Even in my NSX.. the road humps here aren't that big of a bump and most suv's can glide over them without disrupting the car... and for the record the speed limits on these roads are 35. Anyways back on topic.

• 3 months later...

I am planning to tackle this on the weekend, I have the bushing (from local nissan dealership $70) and I am getting inside washers as well (on order 4 washers $30) after reading threw this thread I'm not to happy on the price... Anyhow I'm not buying the rods just yet mostly because they want 70$ each. Where else would I be able to grab this rod for cheaper? I'm located in Vancouver yo...