Strut plate/bearing/mount?

Trevasty

I can hear the strut moving around (driver front) when it hits a bump. I just bought it a week ago and the girl told me it needed one. She also has (sometime fairly recently) replaced the struts. My gf's Camry needed the same thing on both front struts after I replaced them. When I test drove it, I could feel the jerk (thought it may be a cv axel, checked it, and it's not). I'm pretty certain it's only this small issue, but I get paranoid easily, especially with new (to me) vehicles. Thanks!

Seems to be a fairly common issue,, "Moving around" is a vauge description.. "clunking or popping"is a term we hear more often.. is this a more accurate description of the noise? if so.. strut bearing could be thee culprit.im sur others will chime in.. :coffee!:

I'm not sure where "Woodlands" is, but make sure that the strut tower recall has been addressed for your new-to you Pathy.

If it has not been addressed, take it to a dealer. Should the strut tower be deemed repairable, have them look into any further issues w/the struts at the same time.

I'm not sure where "Woodlands" is, but make sure that the strut tower recall has been addressed for your new-to you Pathy.

If it has not been addressed, take it to a dealer. Should the strut tower be deemed repairable, have them look into any further issues w/the struts at the same time.

I looked it up, and by the recall's guidelines, I'm not affected, as the vehicle was purchased in south carolina (by the original owner) and I (second owner) live here as well. Should I still call/take it to the dealer?

I looked it up, and by the recall's guidelines, I'm not affected, as the vehicle was purchased in south carolina (by the original owner) and I (second owner) live here as well. Should I still call/take it to the dealer?

I would imagine your Pathy is not affected. You could also take a look and see if there is any rust around the strut towers though.

Point being if it was going for the recall fix, depending upon the level of rust, the struts are removed anyways. Since the struts are removed for the repair, you could have them put in new bearings at that time. Doesnt sound like the case for you though. I wish I had been reading the boards when I had my recall done, I would have known only to use Nissan bearings, and would have had them done at the same time...oh well...

The previous owner replaced tr struts (recently) but not with Nissan struts. She was certain this was the issue (strut plate/bearing) and I know this often becomes an issue when struts are replaced on vehicles. I was just lpoking for a bit of reassurance, that's all.

Well I looked it up and it had a list of states where pathfinders sold and/or owned in we're affected, and my state wasn't on it. And this pathfinder has only been owned and driven in my state as well. Should I at least call my local dealer and give them my VIN to see if it's affected?

I live in Florida and still got inspected. There is a separate recall bulletin (R1108; this PDF is R1107, which is what you must be referring to) for non-salt states that involve an inspection without preventative undercoating, but if significant rust is found the repairs are still performed as per R1107 TSB. Give your dealer a call.

I believe that non Nissan strut bearings are subject to very premature failure (like within months)...I certainly could be wrong though.

You are not wrong about the after market strut bearings (from what I've read here). It's crazy that the darn things (Nissan included) are made of plastic. :thumbsdown:

Trevasty, does the strut make the sound when you are sitting still while turning the steering wheel full lock to full lock? I get that it does it on bumps and turns but, I want to know if the sound is only made from steering travel as opposed to "up and down" travel.

Why don't you take a look at your strut mounting bolts. Pop the hood and check the three bolts that mount the strut to the body. Visually inspect them and even grab a socket wrench to see if they are torqued tightly. Check for loose nuts, heck, might want to look at the strut assembly bolt that is located under the removeable rubber plug while your there. I may be way off (usually am) but, I've been in that area of my Pathy many times recently. :shrug:

Can't post pix from iPhone!!! Raaaaaa! I have no socket here (at the shop) but I took the caps off and checked the assembly bolts. They look fairly new/clean. The three "prong" (as I refer to them) where they mount look fairly old. Didn't seem to be "loose" though. But then again, I don't have any sockets or a ratchet here.

Hmmmm? At this point I'm thinking that it's not your strut bearings. The bolts/nuts don't seem to be loose (your observation). The springs are sitting in the correct orientaintion. Could be a bad strut? I'm out of ideas .. anyone? anyone?

Well the struts on my gf's Camry were recently installed, and a week later I heard the noise (same one). Took it back to work an our mech said it was the strut bearings. Replaced them and it's been fine since. Idk, I'm going to get it done tmrw. Well see what our mech says

The struts are "Sensatrac" brand. Again, she also told me that she was told by some shop that this was the issue as well, but I'm just trying to learn here

You know I just took a look at this front end, and it's got the "nose dive" going on. I think the front suspension may actually be bad like you said, devonianwalk. It's just I've never known heard a bad strut make THIS kind of noise. It always been a squeaking screeching groaning type noise, not a clunk thud noise.