AZ Crown King

The_Magicians_Eye

Who wants to go 4 wheelin up the back road to Crown King on the 17th? Need to fix my truck before then but we plan on heading up early on the 17th taking our time taking pics and what not. Staying the night in crown king and then heading back down the same way we went up as long as nothing is broken on my ride.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got one interested. Anyone else interested in going? I'll be going over my truck from top to bottom here over the next two weeks to make sure I'm ready. Most likely will hit the JY this weekend to find some spare parts just in case. Truck is still running funny but I think I found it. Air filter was clogged and the mas are meter was dirty. I'll find out tomorrow if that does the trick. Cleaning the K&N right now.

Ok let's plan for that date then. Koveman are you planning on camping out up there and coming back down the back road? I was thinking about renting one of those nicer cabins in CK so I can avoid hauling all my camping gear this time.

Wish I could go with you guys!!!! I just picked up a pathy but I need some decent tires. I also want to install a tranny temp guage and cooler before I go wheeling. Take some pics please

Ok let's plan for that date then. Koveman are you planning on camping out up there and coming back down the back road? I was thinking about renting one of those nicer cabins in CK so I can avoid hauling all my camping gear this time.

I was planning on renting a cabin from Bear Creek. HERE is a directory for everything in CK.

• 2 weeks later...

So I figured I'd try and send a group message to everyone interested in going but I couldn't figure out how to send a message to more than one person on here. Anyway we only have a week before this trip. KovemaN suggested we meet at a staging area around 8am - 9am. Put this into google maps and let me know if this is the staging area you were thinking about.

33.936288,-112.324404

I don't have a CB but I do have a set of two way radios. How about the rest of you?

Who for sure will be going? The only way I'm not going is unless something catastrophic takes place between now and then. From the looks of it all the rooms in town are booked. KovemaN and I have rooms but unless you guys are lucky you may have to plan to camp out at one of the sites near town. That's free camping but it's first come first serve. If you've never been on this trail it's pretty rough while driving through the river rocks but all tough obstacles have a bypass. My buddy's stock Cherokee made it without a problem on all season tires.

So I figured I'd try and send a group message to everyone interested in going but I couldn't figure out how to send a message to more than one person on here. Anyway we only have a week before this trip. KovemaN suggested we meet at a staging area around 8am - 9am. Put this into google maps and let me know if this is the staging area you were thinking about.

33.936288,-112.324404

I don't have a CB but I do have a set of two way radios. How about the rest of you?

Who for sure will be going? The only way I'm not going is unless something catastrophic takes place between now and then. From the looks of it all the rooms in town are booked. KovemaN and I have rooms but unless you guys are lucky you may have to plan to camp out at one of the sites near town. That's free camping but it's first come first serve. If you've never been on this trail it's pretty rough while driving through the river rocks but all tough obstacles have a bypass. My buddy's stock Cherokee made it without a problem on all season tires.

I have a extra CB that you can have, if you interested let me know.

Put this into google maps and let me know if this is the staging area you were thinking about.

33.936288,-112.324404

That's the spot I was thinking of. If there is anyone that can't get a CB in time, I have a pair of handheld units that I will be bringing so we won't have to have a relay operator between FRS/GMRS and CB.

After the storms this weekend the trail should be less dusty than usual.

Got mine from 918pathy today. Thanks again buddy. Let's hope I can get it hooked up and working before Saturday. I'm going to install the MM hubs tonight. At some point this week I'll be taking back the wrong steering box that I got from the JY and getting another one. If I don't get it installed I'll just make sure I bring plenty of power steering fluid with me just in case lol.

I saw on the news tonight that the storm put 18 in of sow in Crown King. Should be melted by Saturday but it might be muddy.

Sounds like fun lol. I could be wrong but I don't think the trail will be too bad. There was snow up by horse thief lake that was melting and had that road pretty muddy the last time I went up. Even if it's muddy we should be fine so long as no one does anything stupid. The obstacles should be interesting to say the least if their wet. I was wondering how much water will be in the rock beds.

Just think, I was trying to plan this trip for this past Saturday. We'd have woke up to that mess on Sunday morning if we went then.

Edited by The_Magicians_Eye

I'm putting my mud tires on. The trail to Horsethief Basin will not defeat me this time. I was up there two years ago and had to turn around half way in because the ruts were too deep and my 32" A/Ts were too warn.