Improvements?

Trevasty

I just bought my first pathfinder, a 98 LE (I think) 4x4. It has 149,xxx miles and is automatic. What are some basic/routine things I can do to make it run/hold up better. I will be installing a a strut plate to the drivers side strut (it's moving around), alignment, and a 3-step fuel system service. It looks as thought the coil pack is fairly new, but idk if that necessarily means the plugs and wires have been replaced as well. I was also thinking of replacing the radiator. It doesn't "need" a new one, but looks to be original, and since a new one through my work is only $69, why not? Are there any other fairly cheap fides you guys would recommend I get done in the near future? Thanks!

Make sure you get it checked out by the dealer for the recent rust recall if you haven't yet - read here.

You should change out all of the fluids, preferably with synthetic all around.

Read this thread on NICOclub forums for a lot of general information - it'll be quicker than me attempting to paraphrase it all. :)

I researched that while I was still lookin at it. Once I bought it, I took it to the shop I work at. Our master tech (who was a tech at Nissan for 17 years) said he didn't notice any rust on it. I'm in South Carolina, so that's usually not a problem ever.

And I posted on NICO (username Troll_Star) and haven't heard anything :/

You've indeed posted on NICO, but you didn't post anything about this specific subject (general maintenance/upgrades etc) yet. Perhaps your connection burped while you were trying to submit the topic?

Welcome to NPORA, by the way.

This forum (so far) seems a lot more friendly than NICO. I asked simply of there was an app in the making for that forum in the general discussion area, and was swiftly raped for doing so by reasons as to why that's a dumb idea

Well, I guess I'm biased since I moderate the Pathfinder / QX4 section on NICO, but I pretty much stay out of the general chat and try to help in other subforums when I can, too. I took a look at the thread you posted. I think the reasoning for not needing a mobile app is sound - browsing that forum on say, an iPhone or even my ancient T-Mobile G1 Android phone from 2008 is quite tolerable, and I don't think their replies were out of line in terms of harshness, but I digress at this point. I'd still suggest you take a look at the thread I linked even if you plan on never visiting NICO again, it really has a lot of information about R50 Pathfinders specifically that you'll likely find useful.

Edited by Towncivilian

That transmission flushing procedure you posted about in another threa on here (the one about mpg), is there a link w/ a picture to the hose I'm supposed to disconnect? I feel as though I could do that service myself, and this pathfinder does need it.

You're quite welcome. :)

If you don't know the last time the fuel filter was changed, replace it. A partially restricted or clogged fuel filter can impact the ability to reach higher RPMs and potentially cause more strain on the fuel pump. Use a NAPA Gold 3023 (it's a Wix rebrand), it's about $14 (but there might be a sale, 40% off NAPA Gold filters starting March 4th, so maybe wait). See page MA-16 of the factory service manual for instructions.

If you haven't yet, download the entire factory service manual - it's an invaluable resource. To save a copy of the FSM, right click -> Save As on every PDF, save them into a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

Edited by Towncivilian

Is there a step-by-step of sorts for doing that as well? Because I was going to clean the throttle body and injectors at the shop Friday already. And I'm getting way worse gas mileage than I should (most with my age and mileage being stock are rated at around 11-12.5, but I'm getting more like 8.5-10).

Could I be getting that bad of gas mileage because the throttle body and all is REALLY just that dirty and clogged, akin with the injectors? I know pathys never have gotten "good" gas mileage, but like I said, mine seems terrible, even by pathy standards.

I don't think a throttle body could impact MPG that much, unless it's like an inch layer of carbon or something. How will you be cleaning the injectors?

Replace the PCV valve too, it's real easy - guide on NICO as well. A malfunctioning PCV system can cause oil consumption, and the OEM part is like $15 so it's "cheap insurance". A PCV catch can install is also a wise idea to condense blow-by vapors to avoid oil potentially pooling up in the intake manifold and leaving deposits on the throttle body and the rest of the manifold. The blow-by vapors slow down and condense in the container and eventually must be dumped when the catch can becomes full, which is the only downside to a PCV catch can set up (constant maintenance). Some people use an in-line air tool filter. NICO also has a guide for installing a catch can on a Maxima, but the basic concept is the same for almost every vehicle with PCV. See the guide here.

Edited by Towncivilian

Strut plate? Do you mean strut mount or bearing? I'm not intimately familiar with R50's suspension setups (not sure there's something like a "strut plate") and I only got 4 hours of sleep, excuse my potential ignorance. :)

Edited by Towncivilian

In that case, I'm not sure what it'll do to the alignment. I've read that KYB strut mounts/bearings are to be avoided. Make sure you torque everything properly - see SU-9. Some nuts are supposed to be replaced according to the FSM as well, but if they're in good shape I wouldn't bother.

The Pathfinder section of NICO is weak & is a bunch of guys wanting to know how to check their oil & how to smoke their rear tail lights...

It's definitely a different crowd over here.

*edit .. "over" not "than" there .. sheesh.

Edited by devonianwalk