in your opinion...

captandy

Whats the best most aggressive looking but still reasonable all terrian tire i can buy that looks mean and still performs well on the street? looking for a 33 11.5 15

Hi,

I dont know if its the most agressive tire but I am running BF MT KM2 on my truck and I am very pleased with the performance and the looks of them.

Not the best pics but you get the idea...

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Whats the best most aggressive looking but still reasonable all terrian tire i can buy that looks mean and still performs well on the street? looking for a 33 11.5 15

i'm a big Michelin/BFG guy and the only AT tire made in the 33s (33x12.5x15) are the BFG ATs. they're a great tire and have been around forever and haven't changed much, if at all. there's a reason why they're still considered one of the best AT tires around.

the tires that ramdala has on his truck are MTs so that won't fit your needs.

I'm currently running BFG AT's, I like the look and how they handle on and off road, but I find they lack a bit in the snow, especially now that they are down to about 40% (not sure if this would be an issue for you). I've heard good things about Goodyear Duratracs, I think I might try them next time round (not sure if they are considered an AT or MT though?).

Evan.

i'm a big Michelin/BFG guy and the only AT tire made in the 33s (33x12.5x15) are the BFG ATs. they're a great tire and have been around forever and haven't changed much, if at all. there's a reason why they're still considered one of the best AT tires around.

the tires that ramdala has on his truck are MTs so that won't fit your needs.

Uhhh, There are several A/T tires in 33x12.50. If your truck isn't lifted, try and fit 33x10.50's. Those are the ones that are only made by BFG and they have the A/T KO and M/T KM2 in 33x10.50. You'll notice a pretty significant drop in gas mileage with the bigger heavier tires.

I'm currently running BFG AT's, I like the look and how they handle on and off road, but I find they lack a bit in the snow, especially now that they are down to about 40% (not sure if this would be an issue for you). I've heard good things about Goodyear Duratracs, I think I might try them next time round (not sure if they are considered an AT or MT though?).

Evan.

And I've heard the opposite. A/T's do much much better in the snow than M/T's do.

Uhhh, There are several A/T tires in 33x12.50. If your truck isn't lifted, try and fit 33x10.50's. Those are the ones that are only made by BFG and they have the A/T KO and M/T KM2 in 33x10.50. You'll notice a pretty significant drop in gas mileage with the bigger heavier tires.

And I've heard the opposite. A/T's do much much better in the snow than M/T's do.

I'm going to comment on that.

I'm coming from a fullsize halfton past in to a pathfinder (my first suv, besides my bronco) (Yes, I have alwyas been a domestic man, fords actually -- now in to a honda and a nissan, and next will be a toyota!) Anyway. The MT's are great in deep powder snow, but thats never the case where I live, its deep powder only before its plowed off, then its packed snow, and ice. MT's perform terribly in this, the AT's in my experience are much much better.

On my halftons I have ran many tires, but the most recent have been: Kelly Safari, BFG ATKO, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, Goodyear Duratrac, and my pathfinder came with Micky Thompson baja ATZ on it. (All in that order)

The Baja ATZ compares to the Safari TSR, OK summer tire, horrible in snow, and the ATZ louder on highway.

The BFG ATs were an upgrade as far as snow goes, but about half wear turned terrible, and are terrible in mud of any kind or wet snow from new to 50%.

The Silent armors were an upgrade from the BFG ATKO in terms of traction in snow, but the treadwear suffered a bit I found. I got about 60k kms out of them (These were 4PLY THOUGH!!!) My next tire on the halfton was duratracs, got substantially better wear, and snow traction was better, and wear was better also (got 80k kms out of them).

These Mickey Thompson baja atz are possibly the worst tire i've ever had on anything, and they will be coming off after my lift and before next snowfall with likely 75K kms on them (the truck came with them or I would have put duratracs on).

The new tires for me will be 245/75/16 duratracs 6 PLY or 265/75/16 if i choose to go bigger (which i'm not 100% convinced I want to do!)

So, theres my summary, and to summarize, get a Duratrac!

The

I should clarify a bit, I meant hard packed snow (highways etc.). I find the performance pretty good actually in deeper snow. The wear I got out of them wasn't great IMO, but I haven't really tried other AT's.

I vote for the duratracs...they have been great so far and have great traction in snow and ice. they clean well in the mud and do decent on the rocks...

Do you do much driving on snow covered highways with the Duratracs?

Edited by erathge

Do you do much driving on snow covered highways with the Duratracs?

I have done my fair share of highway snow driving with them. I keep mine around 25-29psi so that it gets a solid footprint and so i dont wear out the center lugs.

In one instance, what is normally a 20 min drive to my girlfriends house took an hour due to whiteout conditions. I put it in 4wd and hit the road. we probably only had 6inches of snow but the wind was blowing around 35mph.

I was cruising along at 25-30mph, while other cars were creeping along. Traction is incredible compared to my old Yokohama's.

And they are not near as loud as MT's are...:aok:

I bet this topic could be discussed until everyone is blue in the face, but we all have our own experiences and opinions. But I love to talk tires, so here's my opinion based on my experiences:

I've run Bridgestone Desert Duelers, BFG AT's, and now GY DuraTracs. The DuraTracs are my favorite. They have been extremely compliant on dry/wet paved roads, they have paddled through 30" snow drifts and maintained decent traction on hard packed snow (better then my BFG's), have gone through 2' of mud (which I know is NOT super deep but was happy to see the outer lugs clear), they air down well and make it through craggy granite rocks, loose sharp shale, and up/down sandstone (slick rock). I like that they look super aggressive from the side but seem to be a combination between an AT (good amount of factory siping and semi-close lugs in the center section) and an MT (wide/deep outer lugs). The sidewalls are even holding up well after taking a lot of abuse last summer.

Just my opinion and it is fairly limited to my small tire sample size, but none-the-less...

I bet this topic could be discussed until everyone is blue in the face, but we all have our own experiences and opinions. But I love to talk tires, so here's my opinion based on my experiences:

I've run Bridgestone Desert Duelers, BFG AT's, and now GY DuraTracs. The DuraTracs are my favorite. They have been extremely compliant on dry/wet paved roads, they have paddled through 30" snow drifts and maintained decent traction on hard packed snow (better then my BFG's), have gone through 2' of mud (which I know is NOT super deep but was happy to see the outer lugs clear), they air down well and make it through craggy granite rocks, loose sharp shale, and up/down sandstone (slick rock). I like that they look super aggressive from the side but seem to be a combination between an AT (good amount of factory siping and semi-close lugs in the center section) and an MT (wide/deep outer lugs). The sidewalls are even holding up well after taking a lot of abuse last summer.

Just my opinion and it is fairly limited to my small tire sample size, but none-the-less...

Sounds like the same results i've had. they are the best clearing AT i've ever had or seen work. I would put them against the BFG MT which i have not had, but seen in action.

Why does Goodyear class them a "Commercial" AT? and the Silent Armor "AT"

Regardless of what other types of tires people have tried, everyone who has ran the Duratracs seems to like them.. That's gotta say something! How many miles are you guys getting out of a set?

Regardless of what other types of tires people have tried, everyone who has ran the Duratracs seems to like them.. That's gotta say something! How many miles are you guys getting out of a set?

I wore my set to 80k KMS (49k mi). this was about half gravel roads and half highway (60-65mph). Not one flat. that was on an ext cab F150 2wd. 2008.

IRRC I have just over 13,500 miles on my DT's. Based on tread depth measurement, I think I'll get about 30-35K miles (so another 2 years (about 11,000/year for 3 years = 33K miles).

I know that seems like a short range, but I don't wear my tires down too far because I'm part of an emergency 4x4 driver group (for severe snow events) and we have a minimum tread depth requirement. BUT it can make it nice when I go to sell them on Craigslist - I put that money towards the new set (I get between $120-160 each set).

uhhhh, re-read my post.

i'm a big Michelin/BFG guy and the only AT tire made in the 33s (33x12.5x15) are the BFG ATs.

the ONLY AT tire made by Michelin in 33s (Michelin owns BFG) are the BFG ATs. period.

there's no point mentioning the KM2s because he wanted an AT tire.

Edited by esy