tension rod removal

trenton163

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the tension rod off so I can can replace the bushings? I have used a .5" breaker bar and a electric impact wrench and they still wont come off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to get a alignment soon and I dont want to have to pay a shop to do something as simple as this.

Thanks, Trenton

There are 3 fasteners to remove. The big nut on the end and the two bolts holding the rod to the control arm. The big nut is a pain, but I think tends to be less of an issue since it tightens against the rubber. You can use an imperial wrench (15/16" I believe) on this nut.

I'm guessing you are having trouble with the other two bolts though. Personally I used a 3/4" ratchet (which is quite large) and an adapter to 1/2" drive. These are probably expensive but I use it all the time when working on my truck. Basically never fails to undo a nut or bolt (or breaks it). But I would think the impact should work too.... the trick with the small electric ones is to keep trying. When I first used my electric impact on a tough bolt (maybe the crank pulley bolt?) I had to let it run, hammering away) for about 5 minutes or something that seemed like a REALLY long time, but it came off in the end!

Other than that, you can try heat. Get a torch and heat the part you are trying to undo (the nut presumably) up to red hot, and then take it off. You should really replace anything you get this hot afterwards... which means being careful with the control arm, or possibly replacing the tension rod too (though they aren't so bad to replace).

Oh, and of course, the obvious, soak in PB Blaster or other TRUE penetrant (not WD-40).

Good luck!

Yes, give them a dose of penetrating oil and let them sit for a bit, over night, a day when you drive it around some... Then hit the bolt heads hard with a hammer once or twice, careful not to hurt anything or anyone. This shock often helps break up corrosion between the threads.

Then use an impact gun (any type) or breaker bar and give it another try. If it still doesn't budge you can try flame on the A arm or nut if there is one and then cooling the bolt or stud quickly using a can of air up side down.

Biggest thing is to be patient and careful, you are obviously going to need a bit of force...

B

Back nut is like a 22...i use a box wrench and patience...remove it forest then remove the other 2...I found it better to leave it sitting on the ground and don't turn the steering wheel at all BC then that makes it fun to get back together....use 3/8" drive extensions to help align things back up and prob have a good pry bar...the first one i did took 2 hrs...now I can change both sides out in about 15-20 mins...I've got practice now

• 2 weeks later...

You are welcome, glad you got it done!! :aok:

How did you finally get them loose?

B

I used a lot Of pb blaster, in series with the impact wrench. It just took a long time for them to finally break free.