R50 center console swap in wd21

wd21overland

Yeah I was thinking it would be fun.... I may just make my square dash gauge console fit the round dash and then extend any switch wires to fit where needed. Some gauges change signal from 90 to 93 and 94 to 95 right? I have a 93 and I HATE the square ugly red dash lol. Which gauges change between square and round?

Yeah I was thinking it would be fun.... I may just make my square dash gauge console fit the round dash and then extend any switch wires to fit where needed. Some gauges change signal from 90 to 93 and 94 to 95 right? I have a 93 and I HATE the square ugly red dash lol. Which gauges change between square and round?

check your Pm

• 2 months later...

Picture Time!

1998 Green R50 4x4

1994 Black/Green Wd21 4x4

Color is Right on.

Console Front/Back alignment

0527121752a.jpg

Gap caused by Ashtray Mount - will have to be removed

0527121752b.jpg

Thats the ashtray mount that is holding the console up. you can also see the parking brake

0527121752c.jpg

Console to Lumbar clearence, this didnt seem to be a big issue?

0527121753b.jpg

This is the R50 console cover plate (this is what changes between the auto and manual consoles) covering the WD21 shifters. You can see the WD21 shifter is much closer to the center of the truck then the R50 one would be.

0527121753c.jpg

This is the transmission tunnel plate from the R50. The WD21 also has one. I plan on swapping the tunnel plates as well as swapping shifters.the R50 shifter mounts on that flat portion to the right with the 4 vertical studs.

0527121754a.jpg

Edited by Inyourface1650

As for the shifters, looks like the end of the Ignition interlock cable is different, so I snagged the R50 one, though of course this is not required. Not installing that cable would allow the shifter to be moved from park even if the ignition was off , if got past the interlock. Also it looks like the electronics are different between the two shifters. Wd21 has two connectors, R50 has one. I will splice.

When I do my swap I plan on even switching over to the R50 auto shifter, so that won't be a big deal for me.

I used the qx4 console and shifter and I had to raise it about a1/4 inch for a nice fit. It looks like the difference in the qx4 is the position of the switches, theyre at the front of the console

yeah I have the shifter, just gotta throw it on. I wanted that transmission tunnel plate cause everything bolts so nicely too it ;). The pictures were just to show WHY I got the shifter.

Edited by Inyourface1650

• 1 year later...

just wondering I found a R50 console and was wondering is $50 is a reasonable price. i know it's a used part and $50 does seem like a decent price but i'm gathering info on what others have paid for the same part to see if i should walk to get it.

• 1 month later...

resurrection..

best method to adjust the parking brake? tac weld? or is there another trick? Thats the only hold back i have now, dont want to weld, if there is a better way. ideas?

Looks great! Is the CC one whole piece from where it surrounds the shifter all the way to the back of the storage compartment? I want to do this with my 93 SE when I do the interior stuff.

TXPower

I found one in the local junkyard one time out of a 2wd and tried it in a WD but I thought it fit too tight so I didn't pick it up. After today won't have to worry as my next truck will have cup holders, 2wd hardbody !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...