Washed Pathy, stumbling idle.

NissanNismoZ

Don't see how the computer would get wet, unless he's got some serious rust issues!

Does sound like water got into a plug or sensor... pull apart whatever plugs you can, shoot some WD-40 in there, and see if that helps. Try reading the codes, might tell you which connector to focus on.

I was under the impression he washed out his interior! Not the engine compartment. In which case he should pull the dist. cap and spray it out as well as all the plug wires. Or grab the plug wires while the truck is running and see (Feel) where the spark is jumping from ! JK!lol Probably getting a spark jump or ground somewhere causing the stumble or hesitation.

Didn't mean to give such a vague description..I was in a hurry to get to work and freaking out..

Anyway, I was washing the exterior..inside I meant the engine bay, which I never touched..

I thought it may have just been a loose spark plug cable..and it wasn't, I will note that before this happened it was running fine, I pulled it over to where the hose would reach, turned it off, washed it, moved it back to its spot and turned it off then got ready for work, and that's when it did it..

It may have been where I didn't let it complete it's warmup cycle twice in a row?

It didnt do it once I got to work, I even turned it off then back on to see if it would, and it wouldnt.. The CEL never came on.

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the help! If anyone has any ideas just drop them by! :) it just worried me a bit is all. It was stumbling and acting like it wanted to stall out.

happened to me last year....when it snowed or rained(even parked overnight) it would run like crap...i tried everything...spent weeks....finally i grabbed the dist cap by accident and,it grabbed me right back,wow....turns out i had hair line cracks in the cap.....pull it off and use a bright light on the other side :my2cents:

While we're on the topic of washing engine bays....

What are the do's and dont's? I really want to clean mine but everyone says leave your engine idling..why is that?

Is there any harm in running it 50 ft to the hose and turning it straight off to wash the engine bay? or would i HAVE to leave it idling?

Just wondering..thanks!

It keeps the engine and electronics hot enough to prevent moisture from developing on the electrical and causing the problem you described. I personally, like to spray down the entire engine and surrounding bay area with WD-40 to prevent any water / moisture from seeping into the electrical connections and it keeps everything looking good as well helping prevent corrosion from building up.

• 2 weeks later...

The rule is to cover up well with a zip lock bag the distributer cap and use a rubber band to make it snug, then spray your engine, avoiding the cap.

The bag prevent's the problem you originally had, and prevent's any WORSE problems. You want to cover up in the future.

Also try not to spray your spark plugs much, because apparently water can seep into the engine and cause a little of the problem also.

Another thing, yes, also run the engine while washing it. However, running it WILL NOT prevent the distributer problem, you MUST still cover it up.

BTW krmill07, the WD40 guy.... Are you spraying your entire engine including all electronics, wires, etc. with WD40 and THEN washing it???

Thanks... BTW, for those of us who don't off-road in mud, would people recommend the better way to go is to use an engine spray, that's designed for cleaning engines etc.? Don't know, haven't seen, just heard I guess dealers do that?

Thanks... BTW, for those of us who don't off-road in mud, would people recommend the better way to go is to use an engine spray, that's designed for cleaning engines etc.? Don't know, haven't seen, just heard I guess dealers do that?

I use the "gunk" citrus engine degreaser and the engine dressing on my road cars. The Pathfinder just gets pressure washed with water.