SAS kit finally available?

albino

Hey everyone. Just a side note. This is what I did. My wife likes going wheelin but was afraid to drive my pathy on the trail.She said it was to high and hard to judge where the wheels are going.(In her defense we are talking about trails like the Rubicon.It does get hairy even for seasoned wheelers). Any way I bought her a suzuki samurai.It was fully decked out with 31" tires, winch, and 5" lift. It was only $3500 and performs wonderfully.I have even towed it to the trail behind my pathy. If I had to do it all again I would have saved a lot of time and money by leaving my pathy mildly stock and bought a trail rig for less then mods on pathy. That is just my opinion hope it helps.

Eh, if I had the money for the SAS I would. Piss on everyone acting like they wouldn't. "I'd rather just buy some POS Jeep or Chevy K5 Blazer or old Bronco & SAS that for another $3K & be like everyone else" THEN GO TO SOME OTHER JEEP OR CHEVY BOARD! Or come over to Pirate & see what its like to really spend money on something to wheel. "Oh I'm happy with 31s's no ground clearance & limited wheeling capabilities" not me! I want to continue beating the piss out of mine on the trail.

Its time to save up for the SAS, the rest of you can just sit back & watch us have real fun

Wow, I can literally respond to all of these posts... *Deep breath*

Staangsfab's kit is worth EVERY PENNY!!! First off, its LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! Secondly, the maintenance parts available for all the front end parts are DIRT CHEAP, AVAILABLE and tough as nails. And finally, the performance improvement is pretty much indescribable. Its a totally different truck... with-out having to go to a vehicle that comes with a solid axle from the factory. To buy something that comes with a solid axle for 5K would put you back to square one (as far as modifications go) So you'll spend another 4-5 on getting your POS Jeep up to where your SAS'd R50 would be with the StaangsFab kit. If you can come up with this kit on your own, this well made, with a warranty, go ahead. I promise, YOU can't.

As for how much can you break your IFS to drive you to the SAS? In 8 months I did 4 sets of wheel bearings (NEW SPINDLES EACH TIME because the 35's vaporized the bearings in minutes), Did my inner and outer tie rods 3 times in a year, the struts literally do nothing after a couple "top-outs" and need to be replaced. All of this stuff takes out waaaay too much of my time/money. All of this stuff is eliminated by the Over-engineered parts in the SAS components. If you don't get the hype, come out wheeling with me and see if your IFS can get you over and through the things I can now crawl over with ease.

I love my Nissan, I've loved it as it grew from the 2" lift to what it is now. I feel much better knowing that I don't have to settle for a Jeep that is gonna land me back in the shop every time I go out.

So how does it drive on the street? Do you ever take it on the highway? Just wondering how well it's road manners are.

"Oh I'm happy with 31s's no ground clearance & limited wheeling capabilities"

Dude, I almost spit out my drink on that one. Yeah, to each his own, but that's funny shtuff right there.

Speaking from personal experience, Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim trails in Moab are doable in an R50 with just an AC 2" lift, sliders, a rear ARB locker, 32" BFG AT's, and no sway bars. Numerous trails in around Ouray, CO are also doable so equipped.

Yeah, but if memory serves from the last time I looked those are low end 5-rated trails with 7-8 rated optional obstacles. I ran a ton of 5-6 rated trails with a 2" lift and 31's with open diffs and sliders. I just seriously doubt I'd ever see an R50 with those mod's on the optional obstacles on the trails you mentioned. It's those optional obstacles, that in my opinion, can make a trail a blast to run. I got tire of always being the one in my wheeling group to take by-passes, so on went the SFD. And Ouray is basically easy...it's beautiful, but most passes/trails are easy none-the-less.

I was talking about trails more like Behind the Rocks (Moab) and Holy Cross (CO) where I'm quite positive I currently couldn't make it without breaking things or serious body damage.

Any ways, my only point is that I don't think the SAS (or it's cost) are totally out of order. So if I ever reach the point that I'm bored or frustrated with restricting myself to the trails I'm running, I'll bet I'd consider a SAS. To each his own...

It is truthful that I only started breaking parts once I went to the sfd and mostly 35's on the ifs. My cv's took a beating and my ujoints as well as the wheel bearings. Im not saying that I dont want to sas...but believe me I still want to. Its just that paying 5k for a kit shipped to my door is not something I can just go ahead and do....im a 22 year old college student for crying out loud. I bet I can do a sas for less than the staang kit. You have to keep in mind even with the price of the kit you STILL have to find an axle and build that as well as a steering box. I have friends with welders that can fab really well and have shops I can use. Its not that hard to take some measurements and put it into a link calculator and make up a 3link system then go to a local cnc shop and have some parts laser cut such as the coilover mounts ect. Id be alot more proud of my work if I did it myself and said I sas'd my truck and did it in my garage than if i was like yea its a kit I bought online. Sure there might be a few more bumps in the road along the way but hey thats to be expected when you make this much modification to a vehicle

Wow this thread has gotten huge since the last time I checked it...

Im sure it is possible to homebrew a SAS in your garage for less than the charge of buying the kit but that takes a lot of resources that not everyone has. I don't even have a garage so its out of the question for me. I doubt my pathy would like to be out in the rain for a month sitting on jack stands. If you have the resources, good for you.

Staang has a kit that is tested and reliable and I think it is more than worth looking into. Any company that is willing to design something for r50's deserves some support. Plus, who doesn't want to have some functional suspension in the front?

Hey Albino I'm in NC as well. We should try & get up some time & do some trail running

Yeah that would be good, I've had a hard time finding people to go off-roading with around here. Do you live anywhere near Uwharrie?

Yeah that would be good, I've had a hard time finding people to go off-roading with around here. Do you live anywhere near Uwharrie?

My buddies go about twice a month during the OHV trail season. I'd love to wheel with other Pathfinders. I live about thirty minutes south of Charlotte (approx. 2 hour drive from URE).

Edited by devonianwalk

We should organize some trail runs this season. I always see packs of wranglers and broncos riding through, it would be nice to have a pack of pathy's roaming around for once ha

• 2 weeks later...