Hello From North Carolina!

MahPathy

Hey guys I just got my first car which is a 1997 red pathfinder!! I found this forum while browsing the web for a forum on this car so my answers could be answered!

Well anyways.. I do have a few questions and I hope you guys can help me with them! (just a btw.. If I ask a stupid question it its cause my pathfinder doesn't have a manual) well one of my questions is how do you operate the back window??? Lol.. My dad said if he couldn't get it to work (as in its broken) cause in NC you have to have a inspectionand he didn't want to get up their and fail it cause of that. (we moved here 2 years ago and this will be our first vehicle we have gotten NC tags) another question I have is does anyone have any good ideas on how to get the glass in the back window to loosen up cause it won't open. (the guy we bought it from had three vehicles and didn't drive this one much. Thanks in advance! And I apologise for any spelling our gramer errors.. I posted this from my phone! And I'll post some pics later!

Welcome, if you mean the "back seat passenger side and driver side door's windows, then try the "lock out" switch on the operators left arm rest where you control "your" window. There is basically on on/off switch where passengers can't controll the windows. The rear hatch glass is key operated.....turn the opposite of what opens the whole door....,could be just sticking to the weather stripping, try not to rip if that's the problem. Good Luck and :welcome:

First off thanks for the reply!! Secondly I'm sorry I wasn't clear with my question! When I said operate the back window I meant the wiper! Lol. I think that wiper id broken and will end up getting ripped off lol. And I thank that its what might be wrong with the very back window.. Lol..

Thanks!

The wiper issue could either be a bad switch (my case) or a fuse issue. I recall someone having a problem with a wiper motor amp as well? Hmmm ... any way, welcome to NPORA!

* do you think that you won't pass inspection because of that?

Thanks for the welcome! and yes my dad was worried about not passing the inspection cause they check wipers. But personally I think everything in the inspection if something a dim wit could do lol.

Thanks for the guesses! I'll tell my dad when he gets back. (He just put in a starter and was going to try and get an inspection d done)

I do have another question! Lol. How does the security thing on these cars work? Cause we can't get the key to unlock any door what so ever.. Thanks in advance!

I do have another question! Lol. How does the security thing on these cars work? Cause we can't get the key to unlock any door what so ever......

Another unclear question.....huh? Do you mean the Key FOB Remote? Put a new battery in it.

I'm really sorry about the unclear questions.. I'm posting from my phone. XD . I meant the security function on the pathfinder itself. There is a thing that says security and has a flashing red light. Is that thing stopping us from unlocking the doors with the key?

Hope that is easier to understand!!

No, the key actually over rides everything.....test it out....roll the windows down and lock the doors as if you were locking it up.....(windows down to simulate a window broken into) and open the door by reaching in to open....alarm should go off until key start or key FOB. The alarm should also have a motion sensor as well if your car gets hit or something or violent shaking. Blinking light is more of a visual deter ant .

Welcome bro, I'm also in North Carolina and no they do not check the rear wiper for being operational. Just make just they are in good shape. For a 1997 I believe they will plug into your vechicle's computer,so if you have any codes stored in the computer you need to disconnected the battery for 30 mins(I.M.O.) to clear all codes. They also check the high/low headlights, your left and right blinkers front and back. Your front wipers need to be in good shape, no broken light lens, ie....foglights,headlights,turn signal lights and brake lights.. You need to have good tires of course, and make sure your air filter is good. These are some of the things they look for when they inspect my rig, the only thing they don't do on mine is hook up the vehicle's computer because its a 90 model. I hope this helps some.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! I just wanted to say that I did mange to get my NC plates, but I still have a check engine light which is multiple misfires. Which had to do with emission which I got a 1 year waiver for.

I do have a question though. Which is can anyone give me any idea on how to go about fixing my back wind shield wiper for when I go mudding it gets dirty and when it is raining.. Thanks in advance!

Look for a blown fuse for the rear wiper (there's one for the rear wiper amp as well) located in the fuse box under the steering column. If those are good then I wouldn't know what else to check for?

*edited for fuse box location

Edited by devonianwalk

:scratchhead: Maybe the switch on your steering column is bad. Have you tried twisting the handle both directions to see if the intermit works? My rear wiper will go a few inches and then freeze up until I "hit" the switch repeatedly until it returns to the "home" position.

My thing is a button on the dash near the lighter. My dad said he had gotten it to move like a little bit.. So I don't really get what you said unless your back wiper is on your steering wheel. Any other suggestions?? Lol

Nice to meet you unccpathfinder! Small world after all! Haha!

My dad and I took off the back where cover under the back windshield wiper (inside the car) and can say that it is definitely fried! Haha.. So, right now my plan is when I get some money saved up I'm going to go buy a replacement one. Which I've found one for about 40 bucks so that probably won't be so bad!

On a side note.. I just recently learned that my pathy only has a 10 gallon tank! I put 20 bucks in it on the way to school the other morning to see that it put me right above half a tank! So, that is a interesting little thing I found out the other day. hah.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

you have a ~20-22 gallon tank...these trucks are notorious for having stupid fuel gauges...the gf's 95 will go to E after about 50 miles or so but still have 17 or so gallons left in the tank...

just saw that you're in a 97 so the R50 is a lil different than the WD21 but still pretty sure you have more than a 10 gallon tank

Edited by unccpathfinder

First off thanks for the reply. And secondly that is interesting.. Lol. is there any way to go about fixing this problem? And I could have swore that I read somewhere on here that there were some pathys put there with 10 gallon tanks? I don't remember the years these were...but yea lol.. Is there anyway to test how much gas it has in it? Thanks in advance!

First thanks for the replies regarding my gas tank! Secondly, @Uncc i think mine is like that to.. Cause I have went almost 50 and it is rearing toward the empty mark at almost 40 from after putting $15 in it! :O

@devonianwalk

That is good to know! (No sarcasm) cause I didn't know if it had a gas marker on it or not for it never came on! That would definitely explain why!! I am really happy right now cause that means my pathy has a lot of gas left!! Yay!! Lol

Thanks for clearing that up devoniawalk.. It seems I may be investing about $20 dollars into a new sensor thing! Lol.