Alternator Top Thru Bolt & Nut install, HOW?!

Okay, so I'm about ready to wrap my lips around my shotgun. No, not really, but I'm beyond the point of frustration. So I successfully removed my fried alt and I'm 80% done installing the new alt. I am stuck on the bloody upper thru bolt and back nut. Right now I have an 18mm socket holding the square backing of the thru nut bracket. I can see the threads of the thru bolt on the back of the alt. I can somewhat line up the back nut with the bolt but for the love of Pete I cannot get the threads to grab on the nut. It is bloody freezing where I live and I'm working on the driveway. My hands are numb and I'm grumpy. Please, if anyone knows a trick or someway to get easier access to get this back nut onto the bolt let me know!!

Thanks in advance :headwall:

Are you trying to install that nut first, or do you have the other bolts in place? I recently replaced my alty and did not have any trouble at all other than removing all the drive belts and the upper rad hose. I recall installing the top bolt/nut first. Then again, I had a comfortable sunny day and a few beers to encourage me to get through the job.

I can completely sympathise. I went through the same issue last year. I tried contorting my wrist in some ugodly fashion to get that bolt to thread into the nut. I ended up removing some surrounding items and accessing the back of the alternator from under the vehicle IIRC.

I remember getting several cuts and scrapes from this job.

my alt has so much oil residue and dirt on it from an oil cooler leak I wouldnt even know where to start removing it.

Im to scared to clean it :doh: incase it stops working from the cleaners being sprayed on it and washed off

I can completely sympathise. I went through the same issue last year. I tried contorting my wrist in some ugodly fashion to get that bolt to thread into the nut. I ended up removing some surrounding items and accessing the back of the alternator from under the vehicle IIRC.

I remember getting several cuts and scrapes from this job.

Lol! Well I finally got the biatch back together! I ended up lining up the "nut" with an 18mm wrench then reefing on the back of the nut with a long flathead screwdriver while cranking the bolt with a socket/ratchet until I finally caught a thread. When it finally caught the threads I was almost in disbelief! Thank the heavens!! I had an easier time swapping the transmission in my STi lol!

working around the engine if my hands get cold I fire it up to add some heat. being that the alty/ water pump belt is off it should take a VERY short time for heat to radiate enough to make work conditions a little better.

Don't do this more than a FEW min w/o the water pump.