Looking for substantially longer than stock rear spring options. Want more flex .

Nefarious

hey everyone just wondering if there are any options for rear lift springs for the pathfinder that use a LONGER and fatter spring to achieve the lift... I have 3" longer than stock rear shock extension length and when i max out my flex my springs sit loose, one side more than the other. I could use limiting straps but if possible I would like to just use longer springs so I can utilize all of the articulation. Any options for me here??? thanks

edit: i have in JGC springs now which i believe were 17" when i measured them.

Edited by Nefarious

Get some 3" lift springs for a regular jeep Cherokee. They are .55 dia, instead of the .6 dia and taller than the GJC V8 springs but give you about the same lift. I had a set of these that I found in the pic a part. They rode better than the V8 GJC springs but one of them broke when I jumped a hill.

James

Get some 3" lift springs for a regular jeep Cherokee. They are .55 dia, instead of the .6 dia and taller than the GJC V8 springs but give you about the same lift. I had a set of these that I found in the pic a part. They rode better than the V8 GJC springs but one of them broke when I jumped a hill.

James

I am running springs that are meant for front 3" lift on an XJ Cherokee. stock springs are 16" the 3" XJC springs from rough country are 19" and the same spring rate as stock.

Most other spring options; GJC, Ford coils, AC/ 4x4 parts, calmini. achieve their lift partially through higher spring rate so naturally they get loose with 3" longer shocks.

I installed my springs without a compressor and I had to lift the frame a few inches past my extended (27") shocks in order to get them in.

My springs would probably get loose with 30" shocks but I'm not there yet and when I am I can use the 4" or 6" XJC spring instead.

Hey my1path that's exactly what i was looking for. 19" sounds like it would be the perfect length to stuff in there so they wont fall out, as my stock springs basically fell out at 16", the JGC barely stay in at 17", one side more than the other. 2 more inches on top of this would be PERFECT. My only question is i will be running a spare tire carrier + 33x12.5 spare on the rear and want to retain most of the height, this is a travel/expedition rig so it will be loaded down quite often. will these springs be okay for that or will i sag down when i am loaded up ?

p.s. i have a spring compressor so getting them in is no problem.

Edited by Nefarious

When you install them, heat up the pigtail with a torch and straighten it out. this should give you an extra 1/2" for sag VS just chopping it off.

They behave exactly like a stock spring only taller so if you sagged 1/2" loaded up with stock you will sag 1/2" with these.

I think the jeep lift springs I had were rough country. They were on a 2wd Cherokee and it had stickers all over the dash and one was a rough country sticker. They were around 19" long and a bitch to get in. They rode like the factory springs but had to be a little stiffer rate because the wire diameter was .55 where as my factory springs were .5 but I really couldn't tell the difference. I prefered them over the V8 GJC springs, I wish one wouldn't have broke!

James

I think the jeep lift springs I had were rough country. They were on a 2wd Cherokee and it had stickers all over the dash and one was a rough country sticker. They were around 19" long and a bitch to get in. They rode like the factory springs but had to be a little stiffer rate because the wire diameter was .55 where as my factory springs were .5 but I really couldn't tell the difference. I prefered them over the V8 GJC springs, I wish one wouldn't have broke!

James

In order to maintain the spring rate the wire must be thicker the longer it gets.

Example:

If the stock spring compressed 1" under 180 lbs but a 3" taller spring with the same wire would compress 1.25" under 180 lbs

In order to maintain the spring rate the wire must be thicker the longer it gets.

Example:

If the stock spring compressed 1" under 180 lbs but a 3" taller spring with the same wire would compress 1.25" under 180 lbs

That makes scene. Earlier you mentioned they make a 4" and 6" lift spring too? I didn't measure when I changed mine but I don't think I got three inches of lift and would like to get just a little more. When I had it aligned the tech raised my front end a little to help get it in spec I guess because of the AC arms. So now it sits level and sometimes a little lower in the back. a set of those 4 inch lift springs should put it right where I want it.

James

My mistake, they are 4.5 and 6.5.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html

call them up and say you just want the spring it should only be about $150 (the 3" were $120 when I got em)

Chop the pigtail off and try it, if its too high remove about 1/4 of a coil at a time. Keep in mind that your CV's will not like being used if the truck sits higher than 3" lifted up front.

Mine sit right on the limit, Just the raise from stepping on the gas is enough to make them chatter in 4x4.