Is anybody running 285/75/16 Goodyear DuraTracs on an AC 2" lift?

snow4me

These Goodyear DuraTracs have a narrower section width and tread width compared to other all terrain tires such as the BFG. Wondered if anybody has run the Goodyear DuraTrac 285/33" on just the 2" AC lift. Wondered if they rubbed the wheel wells. Looking at some of the Pics of the 31's that Phantom has on his, there looks to be plenty of room???

appearances are deceiving. There looks to be plenty of room in the wheel wells for 33's

The 31's I have barely clear the front and rear of the wheel well/inner fender when going forward at full lock. it rubs the front when going in reverse.

And there is approximately 3/4 - 1" clearance from tire to bottom or strut with the -3.75bs i have. So i wouldnt say its impossible, but lots of trimming would have to be done to make 33's work

I ran 285 75 16 bfg at's on my 2in lift with stock wheels. I required 1.5in wheel spacers in order to keep the tire from rubbing the bottom of the strut.

Here is a pic of that setup...little baby stage :)

100_1338.jpg

I have read through your thread and many others. My question is really targeting the Dura Tracs specifically because they will clear the strut with no problem using a 3.75 backspace wheel and NO spacer. My main concern is will using that specific tire and backspace allow me to keep from having to clear out the fender opening tight spots to eliminate rubbing. Basically, will the DuraTracs rub with their narrow tread path? Thanks 01. :-)

Hmmm? I looked at my 31's (DuraTracs) and there is not a whole lot of space between the shoulder blocks and the bottom of the lower spring perch on the strut. This, of course, is on the AC lift. I also experience Phantom's rubbing issue on full lock in reverse.

*edit .. It does look like it will clear 32's using a 11.5" wide tread. :scratchhead:

Edited by devonianwalk

Devon, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the axle centerline to the strut bottom where tire touch could occur a fixed distance? If you look at Rick13's pics, his 285 dura tracs clear that bottom area just fine.

Devon, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the axle centerline to the strut bottom where tire touch could occur a fixed distance? If you look at Rick13's pics, his 285 dura tracs clear that bottom area just fine.

Yes. The distance is static because the strut assembly is attached to the axel (spring perch and tire move together). Rick13 is running with a SFD so, I don't know if that distance is skewed by the extra lift? :shrug:

Yes. The distance is static because the strut assembly is attached to the axel (spring perch and tire move together). Rick13 is running with a SFD so, I don't know if that distance is skewed by the extra lift? :shrug:

I am no expert but I think that while the SFD will definately get rid of the rubbing issues with the wheel well liner and fender/bumper, I don't think it has anything to do with where the tire sits in relation to the strut. Rick13 chose the DuraTracs specifically because the notch in the tires profile that makes running the 285/33" possible without a wheel spacer as long as the wheel has the 3.75 BS.

On a side note Devin, what was the reason for the 1" NX spacer in the front combined with the 2" AC lift? Did you add an extra inch in the rear or something?

Just an FYI that I purchased the 3.75 bs rims when I still had the 31" BFG AT's. The decreased basckspace changed the turning arc enough to create significant rubbing at full lock. I had already trimmed a little when I purchased the 31's on stock rims, so I just trimmed a bit more plastic out front.

BUT, please be aware that even after I put in coil spacers in the back (to help level the rake after the SFD) I almost ruined both rear fender flares. At full tuck, with 3.75 bs rims, on 33's, rubbing was ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I've heard tire rub out back since installing longer coils (6.5" lift) with higher spring rate (200 lb).

Edited by Rick13

So from what I can gather from what you said is... the 3.75 BS with the 285 DuraTrac will work on the front with some wheel well trimming for full lock. On the rear, the 3.75 BS with the 285 DuraTrac catches the fender flares because the wheel sticks out farther and it catches the flares even with a SFD unless you use the stiffer springs. Correct?

So from what I can gather from what you said is... the 3.75 BS with the 285 DuraTrac will work on the front with some wheel well trimming for full lock. On the rear, the 3.75 BS with the 285 DuraTrac catches the fender flares because the wheel sticks out farther and it catches the flares even with a SFD unless you use the stiffer springs. Correct?

Basically, sorry, not describing things well today. The 285/75/16 on the 3.75" bs rims barely clear the struts...but they definitely clear on my rig. I have 0 deg camber on one wheel and very slightly positive camber on the other wheel. They will NOT fit if you have any negative camber with my setup.

Even with the SFD I had to trim out the wheel well and bumper in the front, but I was well past the point of no return on this rig. 01Silva can probably better describe how much he trimmed for his 33's (I think I even watched a short video of what he did a while back).

I just wanted to make sure I said something about the back flares rubbing. And yes, your description might be more accruate - it didn't just rub, its more like the wide pattern outer lugs caught/pulled at the flares.

I almost went with 2" coil lift, NX4 strut spacers, wheel spacers up front, and 32" tires. I still think that is a seriously sweet setup (just my unsolicited opinion).

01silverpathy, your truck is what inspired me to lift mine in the first place. I was really hoping to engineer my way out of having to run wheel spacers and still run 33's on a 2" lift, looks like that's pretty much impossible no matter what tire brand or pattern you choose.

Would it look dumb to get new wheels with 3.75 BS for the front and 4.25 in the rear? Hard to believe that 1/2" of BS would keep the rear tires from hitting the flares. :-(

That is dumb...rotation would be impossible. Guess if the 4.25 will tuck, I'd only need a 1/2" spacer to get the front to keep from hitting the strut using the DuraTrac tire. Hmmm...

And if I did things over, I would have gotten all 5 rims at once - I still have a stock spare rim with a 33 on it. So, if I blow a front tire, I have to technically change 2 tires instead of just one = lame.

I may purchase a new rim soon, just waiting on a sale.

Guess I was just hoping that with the goodyears funky notch that it would tuck out back with the 3.75, apparently not. I am really shocked that Rick had rubbing issues with the GY 285/33's even with his first attempt at his rear lift which was 6" in the rear but softer springs than he's running now.

So, being that this IS my daily driver, should I just go with the AC lift with an NX spacer and do the GY 285's on my stock wheels and run the spacer on the front? I think that I might be able to run less of a thickness front spacer than your 1.5" since I have the narrower tread width than your BFG's 01silverpathy, and I can be closer to the strut than you. OR... did you need the 1.5" spacer for different reasons other than the strut? I really appreciate the help guys, got money burning a hole in my pocket but not enough that I can afford to make a mistake. The SFD is tempting but it would probably worsen mileage over the AC lift no?

Edited by snow4me

Wow that's a TIGHT fit! Are those 33s on 2" lift?

Yea, Unreal huh? That's why I come here, lots of very knowledgeable and very helpful people on here. Some will tell you to use the search function but I will never say that. I come here so I can learn and soon share my knowledge with others, that's what a forum is all about. Who cares if a question has been asked before, what the heck else do I have to do on here. Not much being posted lately, I say the more the merrier. The W21 guys seem to be the angry ones anyhow, sniffing around our little section of the forum, must be 3.5 envy. ;-)