Wet alternator

1990pathy

So when I take my rig mudding, I notice when I go thru big puddles of mud and water. The alternator will drop to about 10 volts. Is there a way to get a cover or something to prevent it from getting wet?

A skid plate would probably help a bit, especially if you make your own so it has wider coverage. You could weld wings to a stock one or make one from UHMW PE. There are threads here on that...

B

Do you use your air conditioning? If not you could remove the compressor and move the alternator up top. You'd have to custom fab a few things but it shouldn't be too bad. There's plenty of slack in the factory charging harness to allow it. I don't think the factory alternator/water pump belt would clear the timing belt at an upward angle so you could get a smaller belt for the water pump and use the air conditioning belt and tensioner to to run the alternator. :shrug:

How would you tension the water pump belt then?

Hmmm... a pulley where the alternator was maybe with factory alternator tensioner attached to it. It's just an idea I've been kicking around.

i used to carry a big jug of water with me and after each dirty water crossing, i would shut the truck off, douse the alty with clean water and then spray it with WD40 to force the last little drops out. nismojunky taught me another trick - rev the shiat out of the engine after going through the water hole and it clears a lot of the grime out. Best to carry a trail spare with you and keep an eye on your volt meter. Clear water doesn't hurt them very much, it's the chocolate milk and packing it with mud that ruins them.

if you cant afford a skid plate, at least go to the JY and get a factory splash guard. Something is better than nothing.

Good info about the clear water, makes sense. I'm thinking hook a line to the jug and hang it from the hood catch, let gravity give you a bit of flow, eh?

if you cant afford a skid plate, at least go to the JY and get a factory splash guard.

LOL, that's what I meant...

Hell, I have 2, one with the rubber wings still attached and flexible.

A trail spare for something I don't use!! :D

B