Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

Kmk2zf

I've noticed alot of oil puddling under my car so I took a look. I noticed that under the oil filter was covered with oil and this piece was also covered in oil and I think that this is what is causing the leak. Is this the oil pressure sending unit? if so how much does it cost to replace it and how long would it take? Thanks!

http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/ss108/Kmk2zf/?action=view&current=OPSU-1.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs566.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss108%2FKmk2zf%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DOPSU-1.jpg

Edited by Kmk2zf

OPSU-1.jpg

The part that you circled in red is your starter. The oil pressure sending unit is directly above the starter and to the left of the oil filter. It is entirely possible for the sensor to come loose and leak oil. I'm not sure that it would create a puddle though. And I think it would only leak oil when the engine is running. When the engine is off, the oil line is below the sensor. Only the oil pressure gets it up to the sender unit.

When taking a 2nd look at your picture, I don't see a wire for the sender unit. It could be out of view, but see if there is.

OH yeah. Just because there is oil on your starter doesn't mean that the sender unit is leaking. With the placement of the oil filter, it is common for people to get oil on their starters when doing oil changes.

Edited by 1994SEV6

That is the oil cooler, not the starter.

A better picture of a leaking oil cooler:

30042400043_large.jpg

(from the thread I linked in my previous reply)

But yes, the oil pressure sending unit is directly next to the oil cooler. I'd think the oil cooler O-rings are more prone to leak than the sending unit. Kmk2zf, read the thread I linked above. It's an easy and cheap fix to replace the O-rings on the oil cooler.

That is the oil cooler, not the starter.

A better picture of a leaking oil cooler:

30042400043_large.jpg

(from the thread I linked in my previous reply)

But yes, the oil pressure sending unit is directly next to the oil cooler. I'd think the oil cooler O-rings are more prone to leak than the sending unit. Kmk2zf, read the thread I linked above. It's an easy and cheap fix to replace the O-rings on the oil cooler.

oil cooler....?

waaaaat?

The thing in the picture you linked, and the thing in the OPs picture don't look anything alike.

It's not exact, but it looks pretty similar to my truck. I don't have an oil cooler and if I didn't know better, I would make a hefty bet that that's a starter.

Edited by 1994SEV6

His truck is a 2004, and if you look at the picture circled you can see the same lines on the part as in the second picture. Isn't that part sort of an adapter that the oil filter mounts too? I seem to remember a thread on here about replacing the o-ring as it is a common thing that leaks on the newer PF's. Someone more familiar with the newer PF's will correct me if I am wrong.

The oil pressure sending unit and oil cooler are right next to each other on the passenger side of the vehicle on VQ35DE equipped R50s. The starter is on the driver's side and looks like a longer black cylinder.

vq35de_oilcooler.png

The oil cooler O-rings leaking are a common cause of an oil leak on VQ35DE equipped R50s, and the thread I linked above details the replacement procedure.

Edited by Towncivilian

oil cooler....?

waaaaat?

The thing in the picture you linked, and the thing in the OPs picture don't look anything alike.

It's not exact, but it looks pretty similar to my truck. I don't have an oil cooler and if I didn't know better, I would make a hefty bet that that's a starter.

Yes, oil cooler. Yes, it looks the same. No, it does not look anything like a WD21 starter. Yes, newer caR50s had coolers from the factory.