OME or AC Coils for Towing & Light Wheeling?

Hey Guys,

I tried searching on this topic and didn't come up with anything.

So this past summer I bought an 18' fiberglass boat. It weights around 3500lbs all loaded up. I have a 2001.5 automatic Pathy. My Pathfinder pulls the boat no problem. The rear suspension does sag with all the weight tho and I HATE that. I want to upgrade my suspension and I'm not sure which coils to go with i.e. AC or OME (heavey front, medium rear)? I want a spring that will support more weight than factory and not wear out and start sagging after a year. I also have plans of putting on some 31s and doing some light wheeling. I don't really want to do any custom fabrication work to fit other coils. Basically OME or AC are my choices. Thank you for your input in advance and happy New Year!

Funny you mention this. Recently i helped my girlfriends dad move some heavy equipment and wood (not a boat, but it was heavy). My AC springs did great, they can definately handle more weight then factory. it was sagging in the rear tho because i filled it with so much wood, i might have been over capacity :lol: and i was towing a trailer

Over all i think the AC springs handle extra capacity very well

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

+2 for the AC's.

We do a lot of tailgaiting during college football season and haul some fairly heavy gear (tables, chairs, tv, sat., stereo, coolers, canopy, etc.) and four large adults. In fact, the whole worn our factory suspension on "game day" led me to lifting my Pathy and hanging out here with you guys. My brother occasionally borrows my R50 to haul his fiberglass fishing boat to our local lake and he claims he has no problems "bottoming out" on bumps and pot holes.

I have the OME MD springs in the rear and they can definitely handle both towing and rear payload. I cannot compare to AC springs, however the OME springs are a much heavier gauge than OEM springs. I personally wouldn't hesiate to prucahse them again had I a need on another R50.

I can not compare to others experience, but I have had both OME mediums and AC springs in the back, I am no great fan of OME but I feel like the AC springs really let me down. The weight of my new bumper has cause them to sag and for the ride to become too soft in the back. Also the driver side spring is wearing out faster than the passenger side causing the back driver side to be about 1" lower than the passenger side. I had this happen with the OME but that was after 3 years not 7 months. I would say that the OME springs are better for heavy loading but keep in mind they will only lift that back about half an inch to an inch. :my2cents:

I tow a 1800-2000 lb trailer (depending on water weight) several times a week for work and im runnin the ac coils. It does not sag much at all and tows very well

Okay, thanks. That gives me a little more confidence in the AC coils.