Random headlights

Guest chrisek

Guest chrisek

Hi, everyone! Loving the Pathfinder, almost got everything right. Before I explain I want you to know that I did search. The closest I found was a '93 Pathy. This one is an '88. Passenger side low beam only, and NO high beams. Popped off the end cap of the turn-signal stalk (low-beam switch) cleaned, took off the steering column covers and checked the pertinent contacts (I think) but all the contact look brand-spanking-new. Almost like the previous owner (my brother-in-law just bought it used with 135k miles) went through the steps I read! :unsure:

So my question now is: should we just go to the dealer and have them go through it? The only switch we couldn't get to was the high-beam/turn signal switch. Didn't seem openable (big white box for those that have been there). Took apart ALL the contacts behind it until they dissappear into the "black tube". Thoughts/ideas? If anyone has links about this in decent detail that would be a great reply. Mr. Pickles, I did read about it in the "problems" link you zapped me in my last question, that's how I realized it is a more "normal" problem than some eccentric one.

Thank you, and I hope everyone is having a fun T-day weekend. :beer:

I had the same probs with my '87SE: driver's side lowbeam would stop working when switching down from highbeams, etc. Took it to an auto electrical place & they just scratched their heads(idiots). I bought a new combo switch (directional/high-low/cruise control) from the stealer and 10 minutes later no more problems.

By the way, I thought I'd get reamed on this seeing how it was multi function, but if I remember right it was around 50-60 bucks* or so... I was figuring a couple of hundred at least... :aok:

Thanks, T-day was fine, nice & relaxing... Hope your's was too :beer:

*this was about 5-6 years ago ~ so figure inflation... :contract:

Cheap fix on the combo switch is to remove it and clean the contacts. After you pull it outyou'll se the back has a thin translucent plactic cover, pop it off of the little plastic pegs in the 4 corners then use some sand paper, emery cloth or a jewlers file to clean up both sides of the contacts.

Just did it on mine, fixed it with out $$$ :D

plus it beat taking the dang thing apart every 3-6 months, cleaning will only do so much ya know ? :huh:

Every 3-6months? We'll see, I did the clean up on my 93, it's the original switch and it was in good shape aside from the contacts. It's been 2 months already now without trouble.

Just me, but I try to fix things first, and only replace when beyond repair. :shrug:

Well, O.K., I may have been exagerating about the 3-6 month thing... :P Point I was making was that mine were wore out, after all, they were 6 years old when your Pathy was born. Then again, near as I can tell I use my directionals more than most people I see on the road, so maybe that contributed to their early demise... -thnkboutit-

• 2 weeks later...

this is one i cant figer out so ...

both low beems work but only one(passanger) high beem works at first i thought the fillament but it was good and to be sure i switched the headlights and still the same side works.

I've checked the connetion at the light and the switch and all looks good :huh:

Smith,

I had the same problem until I took the column switch out and fixed it. Inside the switch there are thin metal reed-like tabs that either get dirty or bent a little with use and don't make a solid connection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason you get both low beam and only one high is because they are independent of one another (your low beams turn off when you turn on the high beams). I've seen this topic on this board a lot and it's usually a problem at the switch.

If you remember the switch, there are 5 "reeds" 1 in the center for the parking lights, 2 for the low beams 2 for the high beams.

So the problem is probably the high beam connection in the switch for that side.

• 14 years later...

Both my high beam and low beam on my passenger side went out the other day.  I swapped bulbs with my driver side to see if bulb was bad, but it worked fine there, so that wasn't the case.  any thoughts on how to fix this issue? I'm thinking wiring issue somewhere, but I have no idea where to even start looking when it comes to electrical issues.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:06 PM, Mr_Reverse said:

Crazy thought, but have you checked the fuses? The left and right headlights have their own fuse in the box under the hood. 

Actually a fuse was my first thought, but I haven't had a chance to check under the hood yet.  Cold rain moved in and has kept me inside the past couple days.  it stopped raining today, so should be able to get out and check it tomorrow. I can handle the cold, just not cold rain lol. 

Found a few relays, but no headlight fuse or fuse box under the hood, but didn't spend a lot of time looking.  I can handle the cold, just not 27 degrees cold lol.  Also, plug don't look burnt, but again, didn't spend a lot of time under the hood this morning.  I'll look more later today if it warms up.

Found the headlight fuses under the dash on driver's side, both fuses were good.  Decided to check the connector to see if I have power there. Had power to the plug, had power coming out of the plug until I plug up the headlight, then no power to the plug at all.  Would it be possible to run the RH low/high beam off the LH side by running a wire from each connector to the RH side? if so would I need to change the fuse for the LH headlight since it would be running two lights instead of one?  Would this even work? At least until I can come up with the money to take it to the shop and have them chase the problem down.  If I had the time and energy I'd buy a new wiring harness and replace it myself, but if a frog had wings.....lol.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I cannot visualize having full power to the socket until the light is plugged in. The voltage drops to 0 when the bulb is plugged in but showing 12+ when the bulb is unplugged? Does the ground wire have high resistance? 

Only safe way to power the right headlight off the left circuit is to build a harness that is using relays, powered off of the battery and triggered with the stock wiring. Pretty simple to build and does fix a few problems with the factory set up. The headlight switch will last pretty much forever and the headlights will be brighter due to getting full power rather than the lower power the factory set up provides to the bulbs.