Transfer Case or Transmission Griding

01silvapathy

So I was messing around with a friend yesterday off road climbing highway embankments and doing some hillclimbs and mudding. After the session was done I seem to have a grinding noise thats either coming from the transmission or transfer case. The noise seems to come from right under the drivers seat area. When accelerating from a dead stop there is a metal on metal sound and you can feel it too. Noise only seems to be there when im getting going like 1-2 gear, and its a little bit louder while turning. The front hubs are unlocked so the front driveshaft and diff ect are ruled out. The truck still seems to drive and shift fine, the rear driveshaft has no play in it so it wouldnt be a ujoint. The transfercase still works as should shifting in and out of auto 4hi and lo without issues.

One thing that I will say i did do like a idiot was shift it from 4lo to 4hi without being in neutral and i may have been moving too. I quickly realized the mistake and threw it in neutral but could that have caused something like a chipped tooth or something? When driving and feeling/hearing the noise if you throw it in neutral both the noise and feeling go away....so it has to be something thats under load. The truck feels normal in reverse....silky smooth without the noise or vibration. The other thing I will throw out there is that the brakes seem to be acting strange. For instance when im coming to a stop the rear brakes seem to suddenly catch and grab....or feels like the transmission or transfercase or something is "kickingout" or something.

Things I think it could possibly be

-Chipped tooth in the transfer case

-Something stuck in rear brakes? Highly unlikely

-Transmission is grinding

-Broken transmission mount or something? Motor Mount possibly?

Any suggestions or ways to try and figure out whats going on would be greatly appreciated. I know im in the right place to ask for help :beer:

If it was a mount your whole console would rock side to side. Mount problems are almost always obvious. If it was the brakes then you would still be hearing stuff even when you throw it in neutral. I'm thinking it's most likely the transfer case.

Gook Luck with the check! Our tx10 t-case is pretty durable but I guess you have 35s :shrug: what diff gears are you running?

If you do have to replace the t-case I have researched this recently and the 2002 and up tx10s have a narrower drive chain and are considered less durable.

Edited by DanAK

I have the atx14 which is the allmode case....has the electronic shifting and such. It has a lower lo range compared to the tx10 and is bigger in size. This unfortuneately means its more expensive to fix or replace. And yes im running 35's on stock 4.363 gears in the axles

I have the atx14 which is the allmode case....has the electronic shifting and such. It has a lower lo range compared to the tx10 and is bigger in size. This unfortuneately means its more expensive to fix or replace. And yes im running 35's on stock 4.363 gears in the axles

Sorry, I forgot about those fancy auto transmissions :blond: Bummer.

Pretty sure my problems are narrowed down to the transfer case. Tried out the 4wd again tonight and found out a few things. First off it goes FROM 2wd to auto and 4hi no issues at all the switch is immedate and works everytime. Going from 4hi into 4lo was giving me issues. There was some grinding slash ticking noises coming from the case and it had problems locking into lo. It would go into lo and you can feel it...but the 4lo light was still flashing...its not truely locked in til the light goes 4lo light goes solid and it beeps at you. Those of you with the allmode case know what im talking about. It took a good 6 or 7 times to get it to actually lock and be good to go with the beep and the solid green 4lo light illuminated. Going from lo into hi was not difficult but from 4hi into 2wd was. It was to the point where I was afraid I was not going to be able to get out of 4wd....took me a good 15 minutes of playing with the switch and going forwards and reverse in the lot to get it to kick out. Its pretty apparent by now that whatever is wrong and causing my noise is inside the transfer case. What exactly is still to be determined.

Edited by 01silvapathy

Sounds like the relay or motor that switches it isn't engaging all the way sometimes and gets stuck, unfortunitely I think you might have to pull the case and look inside it to better figure out what the problem is. When is the last time you put new gear oil in it, maybe try flushing it first....

it could be 2 problems also... one could be the electric motor that switches from 2 to 4 and if it has been 'lazzy' like this for an extended period , it might have only partially engage on the last attemps which could have resulted in some gear grinding... and now most probably some gears are damaged ?? definitley, drain the TC oil and use a magnet to pickup anything in there...

good luck.

S

I was having trouble with what seems like the same thing. Found out it was the transfer case CHAIN. Youtube that phrase and see if that is the sound you were having, there are quite a few videos out there. after a while the chain will actually stretch a bit. ( who would've thought that a metal chain would stretch right?!? ...but it does. )

From looking around and doing my own research, and taking my pathy into a shop to have it looked at, I arrived at the tcase chain conclusion.

Just my mytwocents.gif...

I found a local guy that had it happen to his friend, and he worked on that with him. He offered to do it for 200. The belt itself is only like 30 bucks, but its quite labor intensive (5hrs....)

Mine had been grinding for quite a while before I decided to have it looked at. Then before my appt to have it taken care of I was out wheelin' and the grinding stopped.... my 4WD gave out. So for MY SITUATION I'm not sure what all was damaged inside ( ground down teeth on the gears...broken chain... whatever else...) so I found a tcase at a local junkyard and am planning on just replacing the whole thing. total cost? 150 for the new-to-me tcase + my own labor rates~

.... it's a planetary tc versus a multiple gears.... totally different... since the problem only occurs on 4l,

it looks to me more oriented towards your H-L sleeve and/or the H-L fork... definitely oil change and verify metal shavings.... if there is then it's open time... if you have a second vehicle , I would take my time and open it up... look at the fsm page TF-151, you will see the parts...

Edited by fleurys