2013 Pathfinder

jwblue

True in regards to safety stuff. Too bad they don't realize its sometimes (imho more often than not) due to bad driving skills, not the cars safety skills.

And don't hate on us spineless caR50s, it's bad for moral around here.

They do realize that...

The auto makers are making vehicles for the lowest common denominator to get the highest amount of sales.

Their target market is Joe Average who commutes to a boring job 5 days a week and goes to the mall on the weekends and holidays. Joe Average wants a cheap to lease disposable piece of junk that's good on gas and can be replaced every 2 years without worrying about repairs. That is why no matter what car style you pick today, they are all pretty much set up the same way. Don't blame the auto maker, blame the person in the beige appliance.

Kinda sad, how the SUV's gone from a work truck with extra seats to a fugly bloated station wagon. Part of me wants to go into auto design, but I'm afraid I'd end up stuck making committee-designed disposable cars that aren't worth fixing.

Whenever I start talking about new cars, I start sounding like an old man, and I'm not even old enough to buy beer yet. That's just not cool.

• Like 1

So, the Xterra can't meet the new fuel economy rules, but the Wrangler can?? :scratchhead:

B

It helps that the Wranger has zero power. ...ok. nvm. I just checked Jeeps and apparently Chrysler is now putting a 3.6l in the Wranglers? It puts out 285 horsepower apparently.. WTF??? 10 years ago they had the I4 or the I6, neither if which put out more than 140hp.

Even now, the wrangler is only rated at 21mpg highway. and that's with inflated numbers

The Wrangler can't and won't die. It's the same Wrangler (or YJ or whatever they call it) that's been around for 60 years. It's almost identical. Except for the engine and interior. It's the same thing as in the 1960s.

If Nissan still sold the 720, D21 or WD21, I'm sure their sales would be THROUGH THE ROOF.

Even though I am not a Jeep fanboy, the Wrangler has a superior drive train design compared to the Xterra, which is why the Wrangler sells better.

but the thing is..nobody knows this. I just looked at the sales figures, and they sold something like 90k Wranglers in 2011. 90,000 people didn't buy the Wrangler because of its "superior drive train". Nobody knows or even cares about the drivetrain that the Wrangler has.

2011 Explorer = 2011 Taurus XL

People are soft dickuses. They want softmobiles. Theses days, auto makers sell what the consumers demand the most.

yep yep yep.. people buy the same Toyota Camrys over and over. The blah camry. A white or biege car that does nothing. It has no power, it has nothing special. It's smooth and that's it.

funny thing is, all these CUVs get mileage that isn't so great as the station wagons and sedans of yesteryear. Our 96 camry with the 2.2(?), 5 speed and 181k miles consistantly gets hand calculated 42ish hihgway.

Yet the brand new ford whatevers are "boasting" 40mpg. . . . 16 years later. You;d think that given the amount of time, they'd be offering us a 60mpg car. el oh el.

Consumer demand works only so much. There is a demand for a small, fuel efficient pickup. Not really happening here, aside from the Ranger. (Frontier and Taco are somewhat fuel efficient, but no diesels here)

So sorry to get off topic

On topic- the "new" pathfinder isn't much of a pathfinder at all. Ill take my unibody (that carried about 200ish lbs of wood chips today)

yeah..you really don't understand American vehicles at all.. like Tungsten said, they have to add heaps of government regulated features. safety this..safety that. cars nowadays have like 9 air bags? wtf. do you know how much those weigh? they have to add tons of emissions stuff. they have to add metal in random places for reinforcements so they won't get 3 stars on a crash rating test.

To compensate for all of the extra weight, auto makers have to put in more powerful engines. These engines weigh more. This creates a vicious cycle. The transmissions have to be beefed up to handle the extra power AND shift smoothly at the same time. That transmission is heavier and more expensive. The rear diff has to be beefed up. The auto maker has to do all that just to compete and it all breaks down in 5 years because a car can't manage all that. sensors here, sensors there, temp this, temp that, knock sensor, timing to the thousandth degree, tire pressure sensors..wtf? everything adds up. Cars are supposed to be cars..not super computers.

Even in the mid 90s, cars didn't even have a single air bag. my HB doesn't even have an air bag in the steering wheel. The only emissions technology it has is a carbon canister that is useless. That and a cat. I'm sure it has other stuff but whatever

Crumple zones? on a wd21 Nissan Pathfinder? LOLOLOL

Crash test ratings? um..what do we need those for? In the 90s, people could actually drive worth a damn.

meh it was dead since 1995 :tongue:

x2

It helps that the Wranger has zero power. ...ok. nvm. I just checked Jeeps and apparently Chrysler is now putting a 3.6l in the Wranglers? It puts out 285 horsepower apparently.. WTF??? 10 years ago they had the I4 or the I6, neither if which put out more than 140hp.

Even now, the wrangler is only rated at 21mpg highway. and that's with inflated numbers

The Wrangler can't and won't die. It's the same Wrangler (or YJ or whatever they call it) that's been around for 60 years. It's almost identical. Except for the engine and interior. It's the same thing as in the 1960s.

If Nissan still sold the 720, D21 or WD21, I'm sure their sales would be THROUGH THE ROOF.

but the thing is..nobody knows this. I just looked at the sales figures, and they sold something like 90k Wranglers in 2011. 90,000 people didn't buy the Wrangler because of its "superior drive train". Nobody knows or even cares about the drivetrain that the Wrangler has.

yep yep yep.. people buy the same Toyota Camrys over and over. The blah camry. A white or biege car that does nothing. It has no power, it has nothing special. It's smooth and that's it.

yeah..you really don't understand American vehicles at all.. like Tungsten said, they have to add heaps of government regulated features. safety this..safety that. cars nowadays have like 9 air bags? wtf. do you know how much those weigh? they have to add tons of emissions stuff. they have to add metal in random places for reinforcements so they won't get 3 stars on a crash rating test.

To compensate for all of the extra weight, auto makers have to put in more powerful engines. These engines weigh more. This creates a vicious cycle. The transmissions have to be beefed up to handle the extra power AND shift smoothly at the same time. That transmission is heavier and more expensive. The rear diff has to be beefed up. The auto maker has to do all that just to compete and it all breaks down in 5 years because a car can't manage all that. sensors here, sensors there, temp this, temp that, knock sensor, timing to the thousandth degree, tire pressure sensors..wtf? everything adds up. Cars are supposed to be cars..not super computers.

Even in the mid 90s, cars didn't even have a single air bag. my HB doesn't even have an air bag in the steering wheel. The only emissions technology it has is a carbon canister that is useless. That and a cat. I'm sure it has other stuff but whatever

Crumple zones? on a wd21 Nissan Pathfinder? LOLOLOL

Crash test ratings? um..what do we need those for? In the 90s, people could actually drive worth a damn.

x2

bunch of off info there... to start with, I've driven many jeeps from many different platform basis.. from 4 cylinder yj's on 33s (which is gutless) to the almost indestructable 4.0 in many different ones (not a drag racer but will power over a wd21 with no problem given both maintained equally) to v8 zjs and a bunch of different swapped mixes. Seat time weighs hand over fist from reading wikipedia. And though "Wranglers" still share a similar cosmetic design and the fact they are body on frames with solid front and rear axles, a JK is a far cry from a CJ or MJ. Image ain't everything remember.

Older stuff all have their followings but those followers are not going to buy that new fancy 5 years of payments version that's noting like what they already have, they keep piecing their old stuff together. The average car buying public is 'beige' (which has nothing to do with the cars paint color choice by the way) or bland. Enthusiasts need some catering as well, then we end up with a bunch of flat billars running around in Raptors that will never see a gravel driveway.

My life is constantly surrounded by bent and mangled metal, you really think there is no crumple zones engendered into older stuff? I've seen many a bent d21 and that's honestly just ignorant to think 'they don't have crumple zones". And there have been crash test ratings long before the 90s...

now please, stay on the topic at hand a little here...the mess the Pathfinder is becoming

Ok, you guys gotta look at this different. Cars are designed not by some dude sitting behind a desk and thats it. No, cars have come what they have become due to people whining. Now this whining may be a something as small as a cupholder, or as large as a multi-million dollar lawsuit because some idiot drove, well, like a idiot. The person either was badly injured or killed. This puts lawers in the drivers seat. Must of been the cars fault the guy got hurt or died. So they go after the automaker. Form has to follow function in most cases. Crumple zones= sleeker cars. Multiple airbags=rounded huge dash. They make the cars try to fold up on themselves to protect the passengers inside. Remember, they make cars for the masses, not the few.

Rather have no 4x4 than a crossover deemed SUV (a la 2011 exploder, anyone?)

Yeah, I read up on the new Exploder in a recent Popular Mechanics issue and sniggered at what it has become (not that it was ever great) and now Nissan went and did the same thing to the Pathy. Shame on you Nissan!! P...

A sad day.

Yep. *sniff*

And don't hate on us spineless caR50s, it's bad for moral around here.

Nope, it's poking fun at a younger sibling, not hate. Our R50 drives far nicer with noticably more power than my WD21, but I know which I'd rather drive off road and which I'd rather drive cross country. :shrug:

I was just telling my wife today that if Nissan was to put out a bare bones, tough as nails, utilitarian 4x4 (be it P/U or SUV) with some good factory options (lockers, winch bumpers, etc) they would sell like crazy, even taking a significant market share from Jeep. Not everyone loves Jeeps, most are rebuilt before they are impressive, but they are the most common and best supported so they have the boggest following. :shrug:

B

The way I see it is the people that are serious about buying 4x4s will look at all the models and compare their factory setups. Right now the Wrangler is set up much like your old school WD21 with a SAS while the Xterra offers much less with its retarded design. Therefore all the 4x4 buyers will go with Wranglers while the Xterras will be left for the people that would consider it against cars like a Honda CR-V and the CR-V would win their dollar with better MPG numbers. You have a point about the retro vehicle aspect of the Wrangler though.

The redesigned Pathfinder is rumored to switch from a traditional real wheel drive to a front driver.

It is said to be more aerodynamic that its predecessor and still retain three row seats.

www.autoweek.com/article/20111219/DETROIT/111219900

Yup, and has an AWD option... woo hoo. So much for a 4x4. It will no longer be on the truck structure, but will now share platforms with the Murrano. Boring! It might look sleak, but it has followed the trend to becoming another on road family transport and not a truck.

Edited by HitMan

no more are SUVs 4wd station wagons for families.

Kinda funny how Nissan is making their biggest, beefiest vehicle (except the trucks) into a half-sized, fwd, crossover whatever whatever..

How is Nissan going towards fwd when GM is going to have all of their vehicles RWD within 3 or 4 years I think

no more are SUVs 4wd station wagons for families.

Kinda funny how Nissan is making their biggest, beefiest vehicle (except the trucks) into a half-sized, fwd, crossover whatever whatever..

How is Nissan going towards fwd when GM is going to have all of their vehicles RWD within 3 or 4 years I think

We still have the Xterra but...im not hoping for too long. Where did I read they were planning to do away with the X?

FWD wheeled drive works fine in smaller, non-performance vehicles and mini vans and, lets face it, are cheaper and easier to build while saving space. :shrug:

Good thing the new FWD pathy is one or they would have ruined it... :rolleyes:

I have a little bit of hope for the 2005+ generation when they get cheap enough to buy and modify but I haven't taken a close look at one either.

Time to merge.

B