94 pathfinder project (where to start)

MCrowe

I dont know weather this snorkel is good or not? It is in Australia though..

1: Its expensive, at $365 plus $20 postage.

2: It says its for Pathfinders up to 1997. But thats a bit vague. Are they all the same up to '97? It also says further down its for 4 cyclinders?

3: Has any one every tried an airflow snorkel? It looks good but its a lot of money to spend if its not going to be awesome. lol.

Pathfinder Snorkel

It looks good, and it does look like it's fitted for the WD21. Due to the price, I'd be more inclined to try forming some PVC pipe. If you stuff the pipe with sand, and heat it, you can bend and shape it, which might look better than plumbing joints. Not as nice as a legit snorkel, but not four hundred bucks either.

There's ebay/Craigslist Australia, right? You might get a better price on there.

Gall bladder? :unsure: Good to hear you're back on your feet.

Going insane!! :headwall:

So, Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com) sell UCAs for pathfinders.

:clickdalink:AC UCAs with Rear Springs

I couldn't find any UCAs in Australia, so I though I would order these.

They say that they correct ball joint angle, but someone has mentioned in a previous post that they don't??

Which is true? Please help me not to go crazy. Im getting a tan from my computer screen ive been on here so long.! :puterpunch:

• 1 month later...

Going insane!! :headwall:

So, Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com) sell UCAs for pathfinders.

:clickdalink:AC UCAs with Rear Springs

I couldn't find any UCAs in Australia, so I though I would order these.

They say that they correct ball joint angle, but someone has mentioned in a previous post that they don't??

Which is true? Please help me not to go crazy. Im getting a tan from my computer screen ive been on here so long.! :puterpunch:

ok as for the snorkel, im in the process of making my own out of fiber glass. never used fiberglass b4 this project, so far its turning out incredible.... i bought the top ram from ebay delivered for under $30..... chicken wire from hardware store $10 and fiberglass from local auto store plus extra fiberglass material under $50..... I molded the snorkel the way i wanted with the chicken wire and covered with plastic wrap u would use for food..... super easy.... when finished i also bought an inclosed air filter to get rid of the stock 1 and spectre 3" tubing. super easy to make..... cost is way under what you would pay for online and u can create ur own look. the write up is called project breathe easy @ off-road.com. hope that helps.... crap i meant to reply on the snorkel part... sorry everyone

Edited by jmd21682

I didn't read all this crap so forgive me if my post is off beat. Basically here is what I'd do if I was in your shoes.

If you plan on doing any kind of regular off roading at all just step up and SAS it. I say this because once you start off roading you'll soon look to push it more and more and more no matter what you tell yourself or others. It will happen unless you're scared of mild wheeling anyway. It's just not worth it to do anything else. Think about it. After spending the money on a completely new front suspension/steering and maybe even new axles like I did you'll have spent a pretty penny. Go beat it up off road for a year and see how quickly you'll be understanding why the sas was the better option. You'll save money in the end on a sas than you would making the IFS off road worthy. If I had to do it all over again that's the route I'd go. Hell I may be going that route here real soon if I find an axle for the right price and someone to help me with it. Or if Steven over at Rugged Rocks get's off his ass lol and puts out that SAS kit for around the same price as his rear 4 link kit.

Anyway everyone's want's and needs are different. If you plan on beating your ride up off road I say spend the time and money to sas it rather than doubling your expense by waiting. You'll wish you did.

BTW here is what I'd use as a gauge for whether or not you need a sas. If you wheel hard enough to need a locker you should sas it. I don't have a locker and believe me I should have done the sas. I'm reminded of that every time I hit the trail. I say that simply based on the cost. If a sas cost you a ton of money I wouldn't be so adamant to have it done.

• 3 months later...

Quite a few months on and the car is coming along.

Been following the list of reccommended mods.

Went for 32" tyres. Glad I didnt go any bigger because they required a bit of fender trimming so they wouldnt rub.

3" body lift, 3" suspension lift.

AC UCA's

And a heap of smal mods iv done my self. Like the Panhard rod drop bracket, raising the bull bar and rear bumper and Tow bar.

But now I have the problem everyone said I would have.... The IFS / Steering was all replaced 6 months ago and now its shot.

So, what I would like to know is, does any one know of a steering system upgrade similiar to the Calmini one but for Right Hand Drive vehicles?

Also, do people generaly modify the Airbox to get a more water tight seal? Because mine filled up with water...

Also here is a video of my Pathfinder. Its not the main attraction but it still features.

Still need to re-spray it, add rock sliders, and upgrade my steering.

For the snorkel your better off build one out of pvc piping to save alot on money. Maybe using some silicone sealant in the joints to help make it more watertight. For your steering have a look at THIS post it may be what you need. From what you've posted it doesnt look like you need an sas to fix your steering issue. The trails in Australia arent as tough as in the US. We don't have much places like moab.

Jos cruiser is fine.... Was completely full of water obviously. We all the air intakes off and the turbo and everything else we could remove while sitting beside the river. Then tied it to my car and dragged it around for a couple of minutes with out the battery or anything. Stopped to see if we had pumped the water out of his cyclinders and found out his car was ideling by itself.... Yeah turns out I know nothing about diesels and neither does he. We hadn't even got in to the cyclinders adn being a diesel it didnt need power so it was happily running. Took a while to get home still as all his electrics were screwy and both his car and mine stopped fora while with water it them but both all good now.

Your right, I dont need to SAS. But I do want to upgrade the steering. I wore it out in about 6 months. I'll have a look through that steering upgrade but I really wish I could just buy a kit. I have had a great time fabing up all my custom parts but its got to the stage where the steering is not good and I dont really want to be messing with steering components. Ill keep looking. Any extra suggestion are definitely welcome though.

Your right, I dont need to SAS. But I do want to upgrade the steering. I wore it out in about 6 months. I'll have a look through that steering upgrade but I really wish I could just buy a kit. I have had a great time fabing up all my custom parts but its got to the stage where the steering is not good and I dont really want to be messing with steering components. Ill keep looking. Any extra suggestion are definitely welcome though.

I know exactly what you mean. There are barely and decent parts for these vehicles in Australia. All the good stuff is in the US which costs a bucket load to post.

Did you remove the resonator stuff when you hooked the snorkel to the airbox? They have little drain holes in them (and lousy press-fit connections) which I imagine would let in a whole lot of water.

Yeah, I removed the resonator stuff. I think all the water got in around the lip of the air box. Maybe it needs a new rubber seal.