Cruise Control not working

gr8xr7

Hoping for some help. So far you guys are batting a thousand on all my fixes. My cruise no longer engages. The stopper on the brake pedal is there and the light comes on when I push the on switch. Before it completely stopped working, I had to press the engage button on the steering wheel many times, (then it would work). Now no matter how many times I press it the cruise doesn't engage? Could it be the relay? Any suggestions?

If as suggested the horn only works intermittently than I would pull the steering wheel and clean the contacts on the backside of it, they have a type of grease on the copper but over time a lot of stuff can get on them. My cruise didn't work when I bought my pf and it turned out to be the vacuum hose was not connected on the vacuum pump.

Search my posts for.cruise...does the horn work? Or only work sometimes...u prob need a new contractor in the steering wheel

Horn works fine. I'll check the vacumn hose and keep you posted.

Out of curiosity, how does the horn affect the cruise? Are they connected electrically somehow? My horn works when it wants to but my cruise is dead to. I need to search for that post...hmmm.

The horn does not effect the cruise at all, it's just an indicator to tell if the contacts between the back of the steering wheel and the contact on the steering column are dirty,corroded,etc. If the horn does not work or works when the wheel is turned to a certain position (like mine was doing when I first bought it), than that would indicate a problem with the contacts.

Does your horn only seem to work when the steering wheel is in a certain position? If so I would pull the wheel and clean the contacts.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 3 months later...

My cruise will not work if my headlights are on. If the cruise is on and I turn on the headlights it disengages. Anybody have any ideas about that?

I never thought to try that BUT with lights off and I hit the brakes my dash lights, PRND21 and ashtray light come on and my radio display/clock light dim. With my lights on every thing works normal except the cruise. The lights aren't a big deal but I miss having cruise after dark. Is it trying to tell me I should be home and playing on the computer after dark? In Ontario it's against the law to drive with just your parking lights on so I never thought to try that. Which proves government is like diapers; they both should be changed often and for the same reason.

Edited by kdj

I'll bet the power feed for the cruise switches comes from the same place as the power feed for the lights, and the sliding contacts behind the wheel are a little dirty... when the lights are on, there's just enough power to get through the gunk/corrosion. Anyway, the having to press the button several times thing definitely sounds like dirt in the contacts.

My horn quit a while back because of built-up crap in the sliders, but worked again after a little cleaning (through the side, I couldn't figure out how to get the wheel off). I've never actually used my cruise control, so I don't know if it works.

There are three pins on the backside of the steering wheel that slide in channels. it's how your horn and cruise buttons work without wires getting constantly twisted. That's why everyone is asking about your horn ;) I actually just went through this, the pin for my horn contact was so worn down it wasn't even touching anymore! My cruise stopped working at the same time, coincidentally. drilled the hole out for the horn pin, stretched the spring, cleaned all the grooves on the column contact piece, and good to go! it's worth a look, and an easy fix!

When you take your steering wheel off, be sure to mark it so you put it on the same way as you took it off ;)

There are three pins on the backside of the steering wheel that slide in channels. it's how your horn and cruise buttons work without wires getting constantly twisted. That's why everyone is asking about your horn ;) I actually just went through this, the pin for my horn contact was so worn down it wasn't even touching anymore! My cruise stopped working at the same time, coincidentally. drilled the hole out for the horn pin, stretched the spring, cleaned all the grooves on the column contact piece, and good to go! it's worth a look, and an easy fix!

When you take your steering wheel off, be sure to mark it so you put it on the same way as you took it off ;)

The wheel and shaft should be marked, and if you do not have a puller for the wheel you can loosen the the nut and pull on the wheel it will usually come off that way, make sure you leave the nut on while pulling on the wheel otherwise you might end up with a fat lip or worse :laugh: and no thats not the voice of experience talking

What if just the parking lights are on? Does the cruise still not work?

It disengages with the parking lights and my horn works fine. What about brake lights?

• 5 years later...

Replaced the steering wheel and it works great now. The metal circles on the back of the steering wheel were all indented at contact points. Thanks for all the help everyone.