Making it run like new!

5523Pathfinder

I'd have to agree. I'm wondering what contributed to the major improvement? The 3 M product or BG intake treatment?

Having had worked for 3M for years, I will say 2 things. 3M quality standards are generally impressice, there is a reason their products are expensive and that I have never used a 3M product that didn't perform at least as well as it claimed to. :shrug:

Thanks for the write up Derek!! :aok:

I know I have 2 or 3 3M intake cleaner/fuel treatment 'kits' in the garage. 3 different bottles shrink wrapped together that I wasn't sure what to do with, but now I'll have to re-investigate... :D

B

I would have to say that the 3M injector cleaner is probably what made it run good again.

If you choose to ever clean your throttle body, use a sensor safe cleaner and use a rag to wipe out the carbon. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF SCRUB/WIRE BRUSH. Our throttle bodies have a coating on them that needs to stay. Also, DO NOT MESS WITH ANY OF THE SCREWS ON THE BODY OR BUTTERFLY PLATE!!!. Doing so will cause the plate to shift and the throttle will be toast. I have seen this several times, just dont do it.

I used a toothbrush before and it worked fine. This is not the VQ engine, it can tolerate a little cleaning in the throttle body.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

For those who want to do it themselves, you can use the intake cleaner in a aerosal can as in the link below...

http://www.bgprod.com/products/aerosol.html

(its about half way down)

BG Throttle Body & Intake Cleaner

Safely and rapidly removes accumulated deposits from the butterfly/throttle valve, throttle body and idle air control valves of the air induction system. Contains lubricants and anti-corrosion ingredients. Safe on oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

Part No. 406 Net Wt. 14.75 oz. (418 g)

Volume 19.17 fl. oz. (567 mL)

Part No.4068 Net Wt. 5 oz. (142 g)

Volume 6.46 fl. oz. (191 mL)

The smaller can works great for just cleaning your throttle body. Make sure you have pleanty of rags around to catch the runoff.

How much does your dealer charge for the intake service? I'd love to get it done on my truck, and my local dealer is on the BG website. I'm just thinking they'll want an arm and a leg to do it. I'm gonna assume an hours labor plus the stuff itself?

Our price is $219. But I work at a luxury dealer. It should be the cost of the chemical kit and 1 hour of labor, so your nearest dealer may charge less. IIRC, at my old dealer, it was $179. See if you can watch it being done so you keep the tech honest.

Hey guys....

Doesn't using SeaFoam in the Gas, Engine, and through the Intake & Vacuum hose, and maybe also using MCCC Mopar Carbon Cleaner do all the same things the BG Inductions do???

Isn't that the cheaper and easier way to go for the layman, and it does the same exact cleaning?

BTW, O'Reilly has SeaFoam on sale, buy 2 and get one free.

Edited by leeuniverse