Hey Washington State People!

5523Pathfinder

Ok, so this probably should be pinned until something changes.

I went out to Tahuya for a little play on the 4th. Half way through, out by Mud Lake, we were greeted by a forest ranger and I was ticketed for not having a Discovery Pass. I did some lying and showed him a Fish and Wildlife pass and just told him I grabbed the wrong on. No Discovery Pass will fetch you $205 fine, and goes against your license. Like I said, I did some smooth talking and got mine dropped to the $99, no traffic infraction. Do yourself a favor and if you go out on any state forest land or park, buy the $30 pass.

I would go and contest this as there was no signage stating that we needed the pass, and the ranger suprised us by waiting by the entrance to mud lake. I think this state has done a poor job of making it known to the public(plus I dont think I should have to pay for going on open land, especially one that is maintaned by volenteers). Im just going to pay the fine and get my pass as it would cost me more to contest than just pay the fine. Hopefully my money will help keep something opened or staffed.

Thanks guys.

http://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/

You can buy the pass online and print it off!!!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I heard about this before it was in place, and it's so confusing where you do and don't need a discovery pass. It's just best to spend the $30 and have it and not need it, etc etc. Also, it helps keep places like that open. You may or may not find these links interesting.

This is a link to where a discovery pass is needed. Some places require both this pass and the NW Forest pass.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/amp_rec_discover_pass_statewide.pdf

http://easternwashingtonadventures.com/showthread.php/10338-Discovery-Pass-fund-theft-bil-SB5979

Good info as I am going to be in that neck of the woods Christmas week and plan on going to Tahuya. I grew up in Tahuya area and never would have imagined I would have to be scared of getting pulled over by rangers/dnr and getting ticketed for not having a pass. I don't mind paying extra money to help keep these places open...I just hope the state starts using money wisely and balancing there budget. I still have a feeling that even with these passes, that places are still going to shut down.

W3rd, it is popping up all over, I shoot down here at a place called Larch Mt, and when I was driving up, I was stopped by another person and he warned me a ranger was up there for this pass. I turned around not wanting a fine for needing some dumb pass....Apparently they put a sign up, but its like freaking 15-20 feet up on a tree. I think they are intentionally trying to snag us. Who puts a sign up so high on a tree...

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

There are a few ORV parks on the peninsula but I have not gone to them. There of course is the whole national Forest, but you are not allowed to go off established roads. However, I have found that most of the established roads are pretty over grown and/or washed out, so it is light to moderate wheeling.

I have only lived over here for a year, so I am not all that familiar with the area. I have heard of a few roads going from the hood canal area over passes and into the Wynoochee lake area that are supposed to be washed out difficult to cross. Sounds like a challenge to me.

• Like 1

If I can get it running better. The engine is weak, it struggles to go up steep hills. I have had it stall under load a few times up steep hills, which is no fun. I think an engine rebuild or replacement is in order.