New Springs

DanAK

My AC springs are too soft for the weight of my new bumper and my tires rub when I bounce the rear suspension too much. Looking at new springs from a few different vehicles and the best I have found is from a Land rover defender but they are narrower (smaller diameter) than my current springs. they should fit on the top perch if I get rid of the isolator and the bottom I can adapt.

AC springs are ID of 126mm and the Land rovers are 116mm. Will the smaller ID/OD be a problem with stability or are there other problems that might come with a smaller spring? Opinions?

Thanks

-Dan

P.S. I know about the jeep springs, I cant get them here.

Edited by DanAK

The guys running the SFD are using Jeep springs.

yeah I know about that but I am looking at what I can get here in the Middle East. Mainly wondering if there are any foreseeable consequences to running a spring that has a smaller diameter than the stock springs.

Are you only concerned with the rear??

If so the airlift 1000 is exactly what you are looking for. It is just an airbag that goes inside the spring.

I had the same problem as you, my stereo cause my rear end to bottom out, I put the bags in at low psi (5-7) and it no longer bottomed out. If you run 20+ psi the rear end is SOLID and barely squats at all no matter how much force

Its a nice cheap kit, and aside from the cheap airline that comes with it, the bags are very sturdy and reliable

Are you only concerned with the rear??

If so the airlift 1000 is exactly what you are looking for. It is just an airbag that goes inside the spring.

I had the same problem as you, my stereo cause my rear end to bottom out, I put the bags in at low psi (5-7) and it no longer bottomed out. If you run 20+ psi the rear end is SOLID and barely squats at all no matter how much force

Its a nice cheap kit, and aside from the cheap airline that comes with it, the bags are very sturdy and reliable

Yes I know that this would work for not bottoming out but they are designed for towing, not for off roading. If I use those the rear end will loose most of its flex.

I'm guessing that the less than 1/2" difference in diameter is so small that it might not affect much. I'm thinking that as long as the upper spring fits decently and the lower spring can be secured with an adapter of sorts, it won't result in anything adverse.

Just my thoughts.

Okay I am now looking at front springs from a Patrol but they have a 250lbs spring rate, will that break my back :shrug: ?

Dose anyone know the Spring rate for the AC 2in lift springs?

I am beginning to think that spring rates ate more complicated that I think because I am finding some strange information. The spring rate for the rear of an R51 is like 350lbs/in which is terrible because they fit the R50 almost perfectly :headwall:

Edited by DanAK

Hope this formats OK. Its from an Excel spreadsheet I made last spring:

Lift ID OD FL Spring Rate

Stock Coils 0 4.9" 6" 14.38 115 lb/in

AC Coils 2" 5" 6" 15 160 lb/in

Iron Rock WJ 3" 4.625" 6" 15.25 175 lb/in

Rusty's WJ 4.5" 4.75" 6" 16.25 150 lb/in

Iron Rock WJ 4" 4.625" 6" 16.5 175 lb/in

TeraFlex 4" 4.625" 6" 16.25 190 lb/in

Custom Coils 5.5 5" 6" 18.75 160 lb/in

Iron Rock WJ 6.5" 4.75" 6.125" 18.625 200 lb/in

Edited by Rick13

Hope this formats OK. Its from an Excel spreadsheet I made last spring:

Lift ID OD FL Spring Rate

Stock Coils 0 4.9" 6" 14.38 115 lb/in

AC Coils 2" 5" 6" 15 160 lb/in

Iron Rock WJ 3" 4.625" 6" 15.25 175 lb/in

Rusty's WJ 4.5" 4.75" 6" 16.25 150 lb/in

Iron Rock WJ 4" 4.625" 6" 16.5 175 lb/in

TeraFlex 4" 4.625" 6" 16.25 190 lb/in

Custom Coils 5.5 5" 6" 18.75 160 lb/in

Iron Rock WJ 6.5" 4.75" 6.125" 18.625 200 lb/in

Thanks Rick that's some great info, very helpful. Is there any reason you only looked at jeep springs?

Its a holiday weekend here now so all this will be put on hold for a few days.

I actually started with the custom spring research (towards the bottom of the list I attached). But after a few emails with Andrew at KR Fabs, found that the cost for his adapter plus aftermarket WJ springs was actually a pretty sweet deal. I also found fairly wide selection of spring lengths/spring rates for the WJ. I've purchase 2 sets of rear springs and KR Fabs adapter and I still haven't spent as much money as if I had gone the custom spring route.

So my reasoning was originally to save money but I think I have a pretty sweet setup in the end (pun intended).

Can't wait to see how you figure things out.

I actually started with the custom spring research (towards the bottom of the list I attached). But after a few emails with Andrew at KR Fabs, found that the cost for his adapter plus aftermarket WJ springs was actually a pretty sweet deal. I also found fairly wide selection of spring lengths/spring rates for the WJ. I've purchase 2 sets of rear springs and KR Fabs adapter and I still haven't spent as much money as if I had gone the custom spring route.

So my reasoning was originally to save money but I think I have a pretty sweet setup in the end (pun intended).

Can't wait to see how you figure things out.

I also have Andrews new adapters welded on my purches with a set up new 4" WJ springs

I also have Andrews new adapters welded on my purches with a set up new 4" WJ springs

How much of the spring did you have to cut off to install to the new adapters and to the top perch???? I got a line on some lightly used 4" terra flex WJ Springs that have been cut to fit KFabs original adapters......is there a difference? Pics? I want to make sure before I purchase! Did you ever post pictures of the end result of your SFD'd Rig yet?.... I've been keeping an eye out for it! Did I miss it somewhere?

How much of the spring did you have to cut off to install to the new adapters and to the top perch???? I got a line on some lightly used 4" terra flex WJ Springs that have been cut to fit KFabs original adapters......is there a difference? Pics? I want to make sure before I purchase! Did you ever post pictures of the end result of your SFD'd Rig yet?.... I've been keeping an eye out for it! Did I miss it somewhere?

I cut the top part of the spring to fit in the upper purch. The adapters that Andrew makes fit the WJ springs. I need to take some pics of my lift and post them still.

KR%20Purch2.jpg

My link

So since I did not get springs in time for last weekend I went a ahead and reinstalled my old spring spacers to keep my tires from rubbing while fully loaded.

006-01.jpg

My solution to not having a spring compressor.

014-01.jpg

Safety at work :suicide:

001-01.jpg

So the weekend went well (a few pics in the photo forum) and now I am back on the spring hunt. Looking at FJ/Prado springs now, I will let everyone know the results.

• 1 year later...

"So the weekend went well (a few pics in the photo forum) and now I am back on the spring hunt. Looking at FJ/Prado springs now, I will let everyone know the results. "

Any luck?

Edited by Iceman2989