Custom Center Console

iceageg

I think the pictures may show some of the mistakes he can ultimately sort out in fiberglass. with that said, i would have used something a little bit smaller in stature for the wood. There's a lot of potential to do something really cool sitting right there. Remember your OEM console probably has a few switches in it, and is shaped to fit the tranny tunnel. If you can find a battered stock console in a J/y for a template it would probably help you out a great deal.You can even use 2 part epoxy to glue roving to it. If you do it right, it should look like it belongs there. If you do it wrong...well....It'll be on thereifixedit.

I look forward to seeing the rest of this build. So there.

I have been considering custom options myself. I found a guy that made one out of an ammo box :sly: I just so happen to have one laying around too.... hmmm. I might even check into affixing cup holders to it. Or maybe a drop in tray that you can remove to access the junk... err, i mean tools and necessary center console things. The tray or insert could even house a usb/power outlet. I could find a removable cup holder insert from almost any later model car in a junk yard that is about the same size as an ammo box. (thinking of a 2003 and up altima or maxima). Then build a frame from wood/fiberglass/ or some other creative fashion to set the cup holder inside the ammo box. I think it would look really clean and definitely custom.

:clickdalink:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/finally-made-my-ammo-can-console-788505/

p.s. and then follow the idea of the last guy to post on the thread... grenade shift knob :crossedwires:

Edited by bmcgawain

:clickdalink:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/finally-made-my-ammo-can-console-788505/

p.s. and then follow the idea of the last guy to post on the thread... grenade shift knob :crossedwires:

THAT is pretty sweet. That whole thread reeks of BOSS-ness. A center console made out of an ammo box? hell yeah. And then he used a picture of a jeep in a magazine to paint his ammobox center console for his jeep. This is a man who has life planned out

I think the pictures may show some of the mistakes he can ultimately sort out in fiberglass. with that said, i would have used something a little bit smaller in stature for the wood. There's a lot of potential to do something really cool sitting right there. Remember your OEM console probably has a few switches in it, and is shaped to fit the tranny tunnel. If you can find a battered stock console in a J/y for a template it would probably help you out a great deal.You can even use 2 part epoxy to glue roving to it. If you do it right, it should look like it belongs there. If you do it wrong...well....It'll be on thereifixedit.

I look forward to seeing the rest of this build. So there.

Exactly, it needs to fit the trans tunnel properly. The skeleton could have been a bit neater and used better material to save time in the fiberglass stage. There should be room for at least two switches but that depends on the options that came with the truck.

I never intended the skeleton to conform to the floor/tunnel. It is much easier to get the fiberglass to conform to the rounded shape of the tunnel than it is any wood product. As for crooked, its not. There are a couple of places where the wood split. Using one size larger drill bit to pilot the rest fixed that. The lid for the compartment wasn't lined up perfect in the pictures but it is not attached yet. I simple set it on top to form a more complete picture of what I was trying to accomplish.

I plan on starting the forms for the holsers this weekend. They are the last piece keeping me from glassing the rest of the console. I will also try to get some decent pictures of the disaster that is what's left of the existing console. I hope to have it ready before Christmas but I have other projects and work taking up 16 hours/day until probably mid Dec. Progress should pick up after that. I fear if I don't get it done and installed soon I may be looking for a place to stay.

The wood is simply the skeleton that the fiberglass forms around. While I did try to build it as stout as practical, the fiberglass itself adds tremendous strength to the whole assembly. For comparison, speaker boxes are often made with only a base and 3 sides with slender dowels holding up wooden rings. Fleece and fiberglass is layed to make the side(s) of the box that you can see. The rings then hold up competition quality speakers that can easily weigh 50lbs each and create a tremendous vibration.

As for the fiberglass itself . . . yes it is messy and time consuming. In the end though I will have something I created myself. However, if you can find me a center console for a 92 Pathy that won't fall apart like all of the others I've found in Denver that includes two built in concealed holsters I might scrap my project and buy it.

dont pay any attention to negative peeps.... ive been wanting to do my on center console for a while. i wanna do pop out cup holders that push in flush to the back for the rear passengers..... also some sort of actuated concealed holsters as well. if u have any ideas on that plz let me know. also if u have pics that would also help. thanx, Jess

what is with people and this strange obsession with cup holders :crazy:

if you use your truck to go through drive thrus every day consider buying a different vehicle like a car

Agreed. But cup holders come in handy when leaving Starbucks without one of those things that holds 4 cups at once.

what is with people and this strange obsession with cup holders :crazy:

if you use your truck to go through drive thrus every day consider buying a different vehicle like a car

Dude, seriously? What the hell does cupholders have to do with the type of car one drives? I take coffee with me to work, from home, every day. If I didn't have a cupholder, I'd have to hold it. That's inconvenient. Think.

While you haven't been totally belligerent in this thread, you certainly are annoying. Your point was made with your first post. You think it looks like ass. We get it. Now shut your hole until something changes. Continuously re-wording your opinion and re-posting it is where you come off as a jackass.

• Like 1

Cupholders are nice to have for drinks obviously and storage. I bring my coffee with me in the mornings too but I don't have cup holders so it goes in the center console. I try and pack stuff in with it to hold it in place but usually makes a bigger mess when I take a drink. Then when I turn, hit the brakes, or step on the gas, coffee spills depending on the mug. Same with almost any other drink without a tight lid. It's extremely annoying. Depending on the perspective cupholders are awesome. Doesn't matter what type of vehicle they're in.

Ok, let me try to say this again because no one understands what I'm trying to say here...

First of all, I don't think cup holders are bad.

Having 1 or 2 cup holders molded into the console is nice because it leaves room for drinks (as long as they're in spill proof containers) and other things like spare fasteners or cup holder shaped power inverters. However, having 800 cup holders everywhere that slide out all over the place in a truck is ridiculous. That would just make an invitation for a pig sty! Nothing says awesome like all the sugary drinks spilled inside your interior, right?

The absolute worst thing that I see on cars is how some of them have cup holders against the dashboard controls. That is exactly how those controls become sticky.

About the coffee thing... :coffee!:

I see this on the road every day: Idiots driving with their knees with a cell phone in one hand and a raw sewage brand of coffee in the other. Try to get your morning coffee out of the way first before you even leave the house.

Some people have other commitments (children maybe) and don't have time. Plus what if I prefer to drink my coffee in the truck in the morning. And who said anything about 800 cupholders. The wd21 has none, so why not ad 3 or for (2 for the rear passengers)...

About the coffee thing... Just_Cuz_12.gif

I see this on the road every day: Idiots driving with their knees with a cell phone in one hand and a raw sewage brand of coffee in the other. Try to get your morning coffee out of the way first before you even leave the house.

No actually, I like my 2nd or 3rd cup of coffee when I'm heading out. Thanks.

You just entirely contradicted yourself. Again. First it's buy another car to have cupholders, then cupholders aren't bad. Are you schizophrenic? No one said they wanted 800 cup holders. Quite obviously they are referring to one or two in the center console.

"Ok, let me try to say this again because no one understands what I'm trying to say here..."

Maybe if you'd quit contradicting/rewording yourself and being a dick, people would care to understand what you're trying to say. Looks to me like most at this point don't give a flying fornication what you think.

OP: Sorry for the :jacked: Can't wait to see what the console will look like when it's done.

Edited by Kingman

Wow, this cup holder thing is outta control! I'm gonna stick my kneck out here on this one for a little TRUE STORY comic relief. I built a cup holder for my 87 yesterday in 5 minutes. This is how:

First things first. I found a random piece of interior plastic in a Walmart parking lot. It looks like it came out of a console. It was rectangle with a square hole in the middle.

Then I placed it ontop of my console. It only hung over by an inch on all four sides.

Next I grabbed a round Rubbermaid container i used to take walnuts for a snack. I ate all the walnuts and placed this round container in the square hole. Then I though "damn a little wood and fiberglass" ... Jk, so then

I got my sunglasses out of the glove box and I removed them out of the silk black bag thing. I then placed that inside the container like a liner. Then I assembled my new Rubbermaid, Oakley, Honda console into my pathfinder console.

It fits a 20 oz bottle, or a 12 oz can perfectly!

And if haters are h8'n, then I can throw the whole thing in a recycling bin (after recouping that sunglasses bag of course)

Yeah, it's the most kick-ass cup holder ever! Genius, I know :D

I LOVE the ingenuity and I am glad you are please with it. But I presented my wife with that and a "TADA! Look what I made for you out of stuff I found laying in the Target parking lot" I would likely be limping my way to a friends house for the night. Plus . . . no concealed holsters.

Oh christ.

To the OP, didnt read your whole first post, but whats with the little cubby on the rear, just a random little cubby or is it a ash tray. Or am I seeing it wrong and its just an opening too the big empty space under the consal?

Love all this cup holder arguing going on. My rule in my truck is "Dont bring a drink if you cant hold it" I hate using the sorry excuse for cup holders in the center console. :)

Same with me. I don't want people spilling drinks all over the place. I do have those two fold out cup holders in the arm rest but those are not that great. I only use them once in a while in certain situations. Having a molded in one next to the handbrake would have been better and more convenient over the arm rest fold out holders.

Either way I was really never bothered by the lack of cup holders. I only keep a water bottle around and just jam mine between the seat and the console. That's all I have to say and I'm out of here before the sharks eat me. :whistle:

Just to make it really clear, I said people have obsessions with multiple cup holders around and not that having one or two is bad.

Edited by Tungsten

Same with me. I don't want people spilling drinks all over the place. I do have those two fold out cup holders in the arm rest but those are not that great. I only use them once in a while in certain situations. Having a molded in one next to the handbrake would have been better and more convenient over the arm rest fold out holders.

Either way I was really never bothered by the lack of cup holders. I only keep a water bottle around and just jam mine between the seat and the console. That's all I have to say and I'm out of here before the sharks eat me. :whistle:

Just to make it really clear, I said people have obsessions with multiple cup holders around and not that having one or two is bad.

OMG I never thought anyone else saw cup holders this way. The same way I see them. XD

My bro got in the truck with dunkin hot choc. and went straight for the center console cup holders. I said, and I quote, "Hell No. Close that lid. Dont buy sh*t if you cant hold it. Thats the rule" x] and i found out that a half empty can of AriZona fits perfectly between the pass. seat belt buckle and the seat. No spill regardless of how hard I drive.

• Like 1

a half empty can of AriZona fits perfectly between the pass. seat belt buckle and the seat. No spill regardless of how hard I drive.

LOL! Yep that's where mine usually goes too.

Yes, I like to keep my interior sugar free as well. Things getting sticky from spilled drinks, especially when they spill in the arm rest thing, irritate me to no end. I would only put tightly sealed things in the arm rest fold out holders like thermoses. I had a CD binder in that spot between the seat and the console before so I figured it works great for anything. :lol:

Back to the custom console thread: If you can't include any cup holders into the design it's really not a big deal.