Front Differential Drop Bushings

William

Hi All,

Just finished a 2-stage lifting project on my 92 PF XE.

It is a 3" BF + a 3" Custom SL (from AC). The car looks awesome.

(Pics coming soon)

Just ordered and received a set of Front Differential Drop Bushings

from 4x4parts.com

I have no clue how to install these new bushings. All I know is they

are really needed to correct the CV angles. Don't know where they need

to fit? Or how to install them? I asked 4x4parts.com but there were

not very helpful.

Please help or at least point me to a relevant forum topic that was

discussed earlier (hopefully with pics).

Thx a Mil

William

I haven't actually installed those bushings but I know where the bushings are! lol. There are 2 big fat bushings in the middle of the front differential mounts. If u get under there look where your diff is bolted to the suspension crossmember. it replaces those big fat rubbers in there with the drop bushings.

there are 4 Places to install the bushings.

On what Nissan calls the 'front axle', which is the cross member that runs between your lower control arms, are 2 anchors for the front differential mounts.

There is another cross member that runs directly behind the transmission pan. This cross member is suspended by a bushing on each end.

Those bushings aren't likely to be too easy to change by the way. I think you're going to need to do some work to get the old ones out. Unfortunately they don't drop the diff all that much, but every bit helps. I don't have them by the way, so take this with a grain of salt.

Thank you guys for the replies :)

I am quite a newbie in terms of "Car Mechanics". Is there any chance someone

could post an image that shows the location where these Bushings should

fit. Pleeeeeeease!

I tried 4x4Parts.com and they couldn't help with pictures. They merely

gave me similar directions.

William

Damn internet did not submit my post!

Ok Much abreviated version: Have a freind help you, the diff is heavy and can be painful. Cut, torch or both the bushings out. Get 'energy suspension formula 5' and apply it to all mating surfaces of the new bushings.

This will be a PITA. The bolts for the diff may not line up your first try so you will need to rotate the bushings little by little to get it all to line up. make sure you offset the holes in the right direction.

Clean up the 'energy suspension formula 5' with WD40 and then rubbing alchol.

If I remember I will find you a picture of the bushing locations.

Damn internet did not submit my post!

Ok Much abreviated version: Have a freind help you, the diff is heavy and can be painful. Cut, torch or both the bushings out. Get 'energy suspension formula 5' and apply it to all mating surfaces of the new bushings.

This will be a PITA. The bolts for the diff may not line up your first try so you will need to rotate the bushings little by little to get it all to line up. make sure you offset the holes in the right direction.

Clean up the 'energy suspension formula 5' with WD40 and then rubbing alchol.

If I remember I will find you a picture of the bushing locations.

Thank you all (esp. "My1Path"). Awaiting the photo of these Bushings please :)

Thank you MY1Path :jig:

It is too bad that someone had to flip his Pathy on the side for the rest of us

to know exactly where these Bushings go :lol:

Last question (more technical):

The Drop Bushings consists of 8 pieces + 4 Cylinders. The Bushings are numbered as follows:

1164 (4 identical pieces)

1163 (1 piece)

1165 (1 piece)

1166 (1 piece)

1169 (1 piece)

Images are as follows:

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

1166.jpg

1169.jpg

1165.jpg

1163.jpg

1164-4.jpg

There are 4 Bushing locations marked in RED above.

The question is, which one goes with which and where?

William

Probably once you get the carrier out you can compare the bushings/bolts and see what fits where?

I was hoping for a more accurate reply that minimizes the guesswork during installation :(

I was hoping for a more accurate reply that minimizes the guesswork during installation :(

I think it's just not a super common installation, so people don't know. I can't tell how different the metal sleeves are from the pictures, but if they are all different then it's probably going to be pretty obvious when you have everything all apart? Before you melt/press the old bushings out you should be able to compare everything and figure it out. If not, maybe post back with those pics. Sorry that's all I can suggest.

I think it's just not a super common installation, so people don't know. I can't tell how different the metal sleeves are from the pictures, but if they are all different then it's probably going to be pretty obvious when you have everything all apart? Before you melt/press the old bushings out you should be able to compare everything and figure it out. If not, maybe post back with those pics. Sorry that's all I can suggest.

The 3 sleeves on the RIGHT-side are the exact same length, thickness and diameter. Only the one on the LEFT-side is shorter in length.

The 3 sleeves on the RIGHT-side are the exact same length, thickness and diameter. Only the one on the LEFT-side is shorter in length.

I've got this mod planned when I put in my suspension lift and (hopefully) swap my R180 diff over for an R200. Hopefully this pic from the FSM may help, uploaded to my sendspace.com site:

12 PD Propeller Shaft & Differential Carrier 16.pdf

Looks like the two big bushings are on the rear of the unit and the two smaller notched ones on the front. The shorter sleeve is probably at the bottom right of the schematic.

I've got this mod planned when I put in my suspension lift and (hopefully) swap my R180 diff over for an R200. Hopefully this pic from the FSM may help, uploaded to my sendspace.com site:

12 PD Propeller Shaft & Differential Carrier 16.pdf

Looks like the two big bushings are on the rear of the unit and the two smaller notched ones on the front. The shorter sleeve is probably at the bottom right of the schematic.

Thank you DieselBoy. That makes perfect sense. I colored the location of

these BUSHINGS in Red and numbered them in the image below. Please let me know

if my understanding is correct :)

12PDPropellerShaftDifferentialCarrier16.jpg

All I have left now is to figure out which Bushing fits with which and where.

Most likely, the 4 identical "1164" bushings are for positions #3 and #4.

Do that makes sense? What about the remaining ones?

1163 (1 piece)

1165 (1 piece)

1166 (1 piece)

1169 (1 piece)

William

Yup, that looks spot on.

They're split bushings anyway, to on each sleeve. So yes, two large ones on Nos. 3 & 4.

My kit came with the two bushings assembled on the sleeves already. Made figuring it out a bit easier.

Sleeves 1, 3, & 4 should be the longer ones, No.2 the short one.

• 6 months later...

How the hell did you get the thing back in? I have been fighting with it all day and finally just gave up (until tomorrow). I was trying to do it without unbolting the engine mounts (I just got them in and it will be irritating if I have to unbolt AGAIN). Does it make all the difference with the diff?

What did you use to lift the diff up?