How well does YOUR rear defroster work?

nunya

So it's starting to get some chill in the air at night enough to frost the windows in the morning here. I know and have known that my rear defroster don't completely work (nor did I ever really care), but I actually paid attention this morning for some odd reason and figured it might be fun to see how poorly some peoples defroster grids work as well!

mine from top to bottom is as follows

fd566bb3.jpg

Good

Bad

Bad

Good

Bad

Good

Good

Good

Bad

Bad

Good

Bad

whats yours?

You know, I VAGUELY remember someone fixing their rear defrost by soldering wires i think... it was like 4 or 5 years ago I think. I'll see if I can find it. :shrug:

Edited by Dowser

Mine has a few bad ones, I don't remember which ones but I know at least two are side by side. All a defroster is is strips of a metal, copper I think, fed by an electrical current to heat up the glass. So they are easily repaired.

check the bars for scratches, auto shops should have little silver metallic etch kits that you can fix them with.

You basically sand arrund the scratch, clean it and lay down 2 strips of tape with a thin gap in the middle there the bar is. Then you paint the stuff on followed by an protective coating once the etch has dried.

I've been painting the copper paint on mine over the past few months. I use to have only a couple that work, now I'm up to about half. Unfortunately I'm still missing a bunch in the top part which is really the only useful part because of the large spare on the carrier. Not that it really matters too much since the back is often full of stuff, but at this point it's a battle I intend to win!!!

I Too have been lucky, heated Mirrors and Rear washer nozzle / pump along with the rear window defogger elements have worked reliably....rear washer nozzle stopped working once....but a quick blow with air compressor and fluid was clear and free.

Last winter I notice my rear def had a few lines that weren't working...so I picked up this kit to fix it.. http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-15067-Window-Defogger-Repair/dp/B000HBI9YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321796650&sr=8-1

Can't say how well the kit works cuz before I could get around to that project I awoke one morning with a rock through my rear window....solved my defroster repair problem anyway...

Last winter I notice my rear def had a few lines that weren't working...so I picked up this kit to fix it.. http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-15067-Window-Defogger-Repair/dp/B000HBI9YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321796650&sr=8-1

Can't say how well the kit works cuz before I could get around to that project I awoke one morning with a rock through my rear window....solved my defroster repair problem anyway...

That sux. I guess that's one way to get it fixed...not that i recommend that way