How to: Install a AK9849cy Panhard Drop Down Bracket

Dowser

So here is the write up I promised I would write for the installation of AK9849cy’s Panhard Dropdown Bracket. This unit is Completely and totally “Bolt On”. There’s no messing around with drilling or any other modifications to install. The whole installation took about 20-30 minutes. Alright, lets get into it.

First things first, here is a list of the tools you will need to complete the Installation.

Tools Required

- Club Hammer

- 18mm Wrench

- 13/16” Wrench

- 3/4“ or 19mm Socket

- 22mm Socket

- Ratchet

- Pry Bar

- Torque Wrench

- Impact or Breaker Bar

DSC02023.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the product with the hardware that is “Included” with the bracket. The bracket is burly, the welds clean and excellent quality.

DSC02007.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

First thing to do is take the 3/4” or 19mm Socket and Impact/Breaker Bar and “Loosen” the Drivers Side Panhard Bar Mount. There’s no need to take this nut off.

DSC02011.jpg

From here take your 22mm Socket and Impact/Breaker Bar and take off the nut connected to the Passenger Side Panhard Bar Mount, remove the bolt and lower the pan hard bar to the floor.

DSC02009.jpg

Next take the AK9849cy Drop Down Bracket and slide it up into the factory mount.

DSC02012.jpg

Line up the holes of the bracket with the original mount using the end of your Pry Bar and slide the factory bolt back into its same hole it came from, put the nut back on but don’t tighten. Then line up the upper bolt holes using your Pry Bar once again and install the 10.9 M12-1.75x80mm bolt that came with the bevelled washers. Position the beveled washers so that bolt will be flush with the washers when tightened. At this point I did not use the lock washer that was provided as I felt there wouldn’t be quite enough room for my liking.

DSC02013.jpg

DSC02018.jpg

Lift the Panhard Bar up into its new mount location, again using the Pry Bar to wedge it up and into position, then slide the other bolt in.

DSC02019.jpg

DSC02020.jpg

Tighten up the top 2 nuts that secure the bracket in place and provide enough tension that it will not come loose. The bolt with the beveled washers will require the 18mm Wrench on the backside while tightening. Locktite is probably a good idea but I didn’t have any handy. As for the other 2 nuts, I tightened them to torque spec according to the FSM.

Passenger side - 100 ft/lbs using 22mm socket and 13/16 wrench on the back side.

Drivers side - 110 ft/lbs using 19mm or 3/4" socket.

And that’s it. Completed. Fast and easy. Perfect bolt on with no fuss.

And here are the before and after photo’s. Keep in mind I’m using AC’s 3” springs and I haven’t got my Spare Tire Carrier installed.

Before

DSC02006.jpg

After

DSC02021.jpg

All in all the Panhard Bar is at a MUCH better angle. As I mentioned, AK9849cy’s quality is great, installation was a breeze, the product is cheaper then Calmini’s version, and I highly recommend the product. You can find his products online at Ebay under his name “Grandpa X”.

Edited by Dowser

Wow! First off, nice right up, when I put the calmini drop bracket on my old truck, I didn't loosen the driver side. probably would have made it easier! Oops!

Second, holy moly that's quite the angle! I don't remember mine ever being like that. :shrug:

Mine is like that too dennis. The AC 3" springs gave me a crap load of lift too.

A couple questions, this makes the axle centered again right? So it won't constantly veer to the left all the time?

Also, I can't find that name on ebay at all. Maybe I'm just a moron.

Edited by adamzan

Your diff is soooooo shiny!

Ya. I generally Clean things up and restore what I can if I'll be working on an area. I was putting in the Coils and shocks in a few weeks back so that's when that took place.

And about his ebay account, I dont know if they are listed up there yet or not, I just know that will be his Ebay account name. You can just PM him personally and see how long till things are listed or if you're interested in a purchase right now, I'd just PM him and work out the details. He was Very prompt on shipping and made sure I got it with a follow up.

Edited by Dowser

Mine is like that too dennis. The AC 3" springs gave me a crap load of lift too.

A couple questions, this makes the axle centered again right? So it won't constantly veer to the left all the time?

Yeah, with the bar being angled like that, it pulls the axle to the right, drop bracket makes the axle centered again. I remember wheeling without the drop bracket, and the tire would rub on the driver side, but not the passenger side.

soo...i have the ac 3" lift and i just looked at my panhard bar and mines only slightly slanted. Yours has way more angle than mine....crap! lol maybe i didnt need a panhard drop bracket then. wonder if mine saged or something. I almost think if i put that in it might make my pan hard lower than level.

Edited by edicer2

I'd be questioning the Coils then. I'm using Nige's AC springs that he installed YEARS ago. These have got plenty of miles on them. I also mentioned I have the Energy Suspension Isolator seats and they provide about 1/2 to about 3/4" of lift as well. Regardless though, that's not going to make up that much of a difference. In that photo I took I didn't have the Carrier on yet, but the back of the Pathy was FULL of tools, a jack, parts, basically about 150-200lbs of weight. Probably the weight of a carrier and a tire.

I'm not the only one who's had the rear end lift that high either. Might be something to look into.

You can measure how much lift you have in the rear by checking the angle of the stabilizer bar... with no lift the "plane" of the stabilizer bar should be parallel to the ground. With lift the front ends of the bar rise up. So you can measure how much higher the connection to the stabilizer end link is than the bushings on the axle. That is the amount of suspension lift you have. I could have sworn this was in my (91) FSM, but I can't find it in the online 94 version.

I was talking to Adam...i have red ac coils so i guess a member screwed me whenhe said it was a 3" lift and not the 1.5" one....guess ill be looking to get ne springs and reindex my tbars. Might just do the body lift now too.

HB pickups don't as they are leaf sprung unlike Pathfinders which are coil sprung and need the track bar to help with keeping the rear axle centered

Dowser, great informative write up on a great looking product. Definatly on my list of stuff I want to order once I got some spare money (gotta couple things on the list ahead of it)

HB pickups don't as they are leaf sprung unlike Pathfinders which are coil sprung and need the track bar to help with keeping the rear axle centered

right...duh. How stupid of me. Well, now I know. That's why I'm here

Sorry Guys.. haven't had time to get the ebay store running yet.. Just PM me for now! Until the Ebay is up and running they will be $50 plus the ride. They fit in the small $5 flat rate box for the U.S. folks. The ride to Canada is around 13 dollars..

They will be $69 on Ebay..

Edited by AK9849cy
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

ok ryan ...what i have done is lengthen my pan hard bar (to raise the rear of the truck)if i go with th 3 in drop do i have to shorten the bar(go back to stock)....i have not noticed any mis-aligement of the rear axle(just eye balling it) but i do have bad tire wear issues (the outsides wear first but i think i warped my axle while welding it)i have a new housing in the garage ready to be welded by a professional welder

ok my question was would i need to go back to a stock bar?

• 8 years later...
On 11/12/2011 at 1:18 PM, AK9849cy said:

Sorry Guys.. haven't had time to get the ebay store running yet.. Just PM me for now! Until the Ebay is up and running they will be $50 plus the ride. They fit in the small $5 flat rate box for the U.S. folks. The ride to Canada is around 13 dollars..

They will be $69 on Ebay..

Are these still available?