VG33E swap into WD21

Nefarious

I haven't cut any metal on mine but maybe my rim offset is different.

Man whoever had that truck before you butchered it, glad you're going to fix it right. Could also take those things off the doors lol.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what i meant to post up before the site crapped out lol.

375379_10151072327270504_764055503_22028603_1379983609_n.jpg

and yes these rims have quite the offset to them. I would like to find some 15x8 rims with alloy deep dish to drop some wheel weight, but these came with the truck so I figured I would make them pretty and they sure look mean with the duras on there! lol

oh yeah its had some abuse but he also put a LOT of money in new parts into it before he sold it. like about 2 grand worth lol. so the mechanics of the truck is SOLID. and it is virtually rust free. most of the frame still has factory shiny paint on it.

I would like to find some used rough country style control arms as well if anyone is selling any or knows where I can buy just the arms seperately. I don't want to lift the front much more without ball joint angle correction of some kind. Is there anywhere that makes spacers with lots of angle to them? I've seen lots of threads about it but no where that actually sells them.

and yes I know a powder coater quite well.... he is me!! lol. I did all those at work for free wooooo.

Luck you! I run a huge mazak machining center at work that does turning and mill work on the same setup. I could make all kinds of cool stuff for my vehicles and my gun habit, but they won't let me do anything on it other than company work. We have a phosphate area too. There are a lot of parts I'd like to run through there!

James

!!!! You have all that around and can't use it!!!?? I would be so angry. lol. We just have to pay for our raw powder and run our parts in when the ovens are already going so it doesn't waste company natural gas. Also we can use the powder that has expired as it does have a shelf life and we have about 400 boxes of powder of various colours laying around. I would die with all that fab equipment and no means to use it! lol.

Yeah we have phosphate dunk tanks for steel and acid etching tanks for aluminum prep. 1500+ degree burn off oven. Diesel powered sand blasting tent, 2 powder booths, 2 main ovens. The larger one is 25 feet x 10 feet wide x 8 feet tall. So whatever will fit in there can be coated!

One day I will take off my frame and sand blast/coat inside and out :D lol one day.....

Edited by Nefarious

Wow... just wow. This truck has changed so much... night and day difference. Still has ample power on the highway even with these ridiculous heavy wheels.... I'm about to hit a trail. Sure turns heads now too! The Ford shocks worked awesome it rides nice and even and smooth. I recommend this swap to anyone.... just wow lol. I think I'm Gunna keep this truck forever.

No.. it is such a huge difference. The truck doesn't even feel the same. The whole powerband and revs and everything changed between the 3.3 swap and the 4 inch larger diameter tires(had 29s before these lol). The torque converter doesn't seem to really unlock anymore? I don't know why but the transmission seems smoother... I did of course change the fluid when I did it but, it's just the way it drives now is so different. The transmission seems more solid now and shifts better. The truck pulls HARD off the line. I can spin my 33s on 15x10 steel rims (heavy sons) with my auto...

On the highway the truck doesn't shift down anymore. It stays in full overdrive. My highway revs changed HUGE. It is a highway cruiser now!!! I used to be revving 2500-2600 RPM doin 100km/h on the highway... My revs have now dropped down to 1750 goin 100km/h. My gas mileage has gone up huge. I will figure out some solid numbers soon but average mileage anyways has improved by at least 60%!!. I did about 100-110km of driving today including about 45 minutes of trail / mud pits with some good acceleration runs on 10$ of premium fuel. That averages to around 23 mpg I think?!?! I used to only get maybe 18 on the highway and 15 while wheelin or around town...

I am at a loss... I was happy with my pathy before, it was a nice rig and got me around and took me where i needed to go but now it is what I always wished it was power wise and drive-ability wise. Worth every drop of sweat and blood and every dollar!!! Can't wait to get those VG30 cams in there now. Just icing on the cake!!

Edited by Nefarious

1. You don't need premium fuel if you are running the good old factory VG compression ratio. You will have more power with regular gas!
  2. The camshafts will change your torque band. You should go with the VG33E camshafts if you like more low end torque and VG30E camshafts for more top end power. The VG33E camshafts are much more conservative when it comes to fuel economy than the VG30E camshafts. It's your pick!

Oh really, I would lose low end power with the vg30 cams? and lose fuel economy? I was under the impression that my fuel economy could be improved with them as they are slightly more aggressive with slightly more lift.

USDM VG30 "Truck" cams (D21, WD21 and J30) 248/248 .393"/.393"

USDM VG33 Cams (all) 240/244 .354"/.354"

So by using a higher lift and also which is that shorter or longer duration? Haha still very new to cams... Trying to figure all of this out.. I would lose fuel economy?

The higher lift I thought would increase power slightly while keeping most of the low end since the duration is only raised to 248/248 and there is no overlap... What does the overlap do???

Where do you think this would affect my powerband? Right now the truck has so much grunt it seems to not even be revving much over 2 grand - 2400 for my late 2-3 shift that the tranny always does.

Edited by Nefarious

Imagine how fast it would feel on the 29s. Don't spin the duratracs on dry pavement too much, they're a soft compound rubber and will wear fast!!

Man I'm seriously considering this swap, as there are a few r50's in the jy, though my 3.0 is fine. I'm just not too keen on having to mod all those brackets I'm not the greatest fabricator (especially after my welder broke).

Yeah I drove it for just a couple minutes with the 29s on front and a buddys 31s (alloy rims) on the back. It had SO much power. Put my 240sx 5 spd manual to shame lol... LMAO. It was a little disappointing putting those huge 33x12.5 on 10 inch wide steel rims cause it did rob some power, but it still has by far enough. Way more than it had before with the vg30e and 29s.

You could always use Mr. 510 crank pulley adapter, to use your original accessories. But you don't get the higher output p/s pump and 30 amp higher alternator that way.

I believe the aluminum p/s pump is 30% or so stronger and the alternator is a whopping 50% more power (60 to 90 amp) The new steering pump turns my big 33s a lot easier than the old one did when I had 33s on it for a short while(they were extremely worn and torn and came with the truck, put back on the 29s for safety lol). :P

and no i didn't spin them on purpose!!! i give it a little gas and the roads were just slightly wet and they started goin. i am babying these duras tho really. I cant justify ruining 1000$ lol.

yeah man this swap is BAWS. lol. im sure the intake/headers/exhaust made a pretty big difference as well... but they were really cheap actually. the headers were i believe 110-120 shipped from ebay , the muffler was 50, the pipe was another 30-40 maybe both from lordco? the intake was off ebay for 25 bucks. But it required hours and hours of welding!! I got my whole r50 engine/accessories/lines everything for 200 bucks but I had to pull it. Plus 160 for the ford lift shocks all around and maybe another 150 bucks in belts and bolts and miscellaneous other parts.

so the whole deal cost me about 785-800$ and thats including the shocks!!

can't really complain about 800$ for all those upgrades lol.

I should really get a jig setup so I can make those power steering brackets fast and easy.. sell them for a couple bucks for my time to people that want to adapt the r50 accessories (which I prefer in the wd21 as now everything lines up and the runs are all half the length).

Edited by Nefarious

I already have a higher amp alty (from a maxima), and my ps pump works fine with the 33s. My main concern is the A/C as I'm kind of a fan of it lol. And it still works yet my truck is nearing 400k.

Oh really, I would lose low end power with the vg30 cams? and lose fuel economy? I was under the impression that my fuel economy could be improved with them as they are slightly more aggressive with slightly more lift.

USDM VG30 "Truck" cams (D21, WD21 and J30) 248/248 .393"/.393"

USDM VG33 Cams (all) 240/244 .354"/.354"

So by using a higher lift and also which is that shorter or longer duration? Haha still very new to cams... Trying to figure all of this out.. I would lose fuel economy?

The higher lift I thought would increase power slightly while keeping most of the low end since the duration is only raised to 248/248 and there is no overlap... What does the overlap do???

Where do you think this would affect my powerband? Right now the truck has so much grunt it seems to not even be revving much over 2 grand - 2400 for my late 2-3 shift that the tranny always does.

Greater duration results in more peak power at the expense of low rpm efficiency aka torque. Higher lift has more top end power because more air will enter and more exhaust will leave, however the engine has to work harder to push those valves open, which again results in low rpm inefficiency.

ya well then definitely mr 510s crank pulley adapter will be your best friend, maybe inquire on it? I believe he was aiming for end of the year release date but you could always ask if he would be willing to turn one for you. That item will be an invaluable piece once it is in production!!!

So i guess turbo is the next step to get more power hey? i thought the more aggressive cams would have an all around power boost. not just in higher rpm...

oh also i didn't regap my spark plugs and i read that the vg33e has a .43 plug gap. i think the vg30 gap is like .36 or something so ill have to do that tomorrow. should give me a little more efficiency i think.

You should definitely use the VG30E camshafts if you want to boost with a turbo or something. Other than that you may lose a little efficiency with the VG30E cams but you will get more top end power. It really depends on your driving profile. If you like to race the engine, the VG30E cams are better. If you like to have more power down low then stick with your current camshafts.

Edited by Tungsten

well I find that with the new larger diameter tires and the new motor my revs stay a lot lower than they did before . i am thinking since the truck stays between 750-3000 rpm mainly when i am under normal load accellerating i would be better to keep my power down low...

although i like to race engines i find that is more suited to car...like say my 240sx or 300zx :P

although I would be interested in doing it if the power band that it increased was between ssay 2000 and 3000. because i am there quite a bit. if it will only give me power in the 4-5000 range then i will stick with my 33 cams.

i like my truck to accelerate fast and not have to TRY to accelerate, you know? I guess I should stick with the vg33 cams for now until I add a turbo at some point down the line. Another reason I want to keep my body lift....ample turbo room underneath. :D

i have access to a z31 t3 turbo for next to nothing, should be good for a comfortable 8-10 psi and hopefully around 300hp :)

Edited by Nefarious

i find the truck has GOBS of power down low from idle to around 2000. then it seems it drops off a bit. until again later on around 3000. if the vg30e cams would help move more power to 2000-3000rpm then i would be down. as that would give me a really smooth linear power curve

i find the truck has GOBS of power down low from idle to around 2000. then it seems it drops off a bit. until again later on around 3000. if the vg30e cams would help move more power to 2000-3000rpm then i would be down. as that would give me a really smooth linear power curve

I'm reading your entire thread. Especially these last 3 pages and I'm soooo confused.

You keep saying how it has tons more power, but how could that be? You added insane tires, added bigger accessories, and put on a lift. And you somehow got MORE power? You're aware that the vg33e only has 15 more HP from the factory than the Vg30e, right?

Go for the turbos though, that would be sweet.

i had a tired vg30e before ... 153 HP and 170 ft lbs torque. I now have a VG33e with 170hp and 202 ft lbs torque stock then I also now have full mandrel bent stainless polished headers which flow into 2.5 inch very short, very straight run of exhaust, with no cat. also have a pop charger filter for the intake as well as a/c delete and clutch fan delete. which both take some drag off the motor.

I would say my current vg33 would be closer to 200hp and 220 ft lbs with the breather mods done to it. so that is then a much mroe significant power change than just a stock vg30e. so yes even with the bigger tires and bigger rims, i have MORE power. noticeably more. as in my truck doesnt downshift for most hills anymore, my revs are barely above 2000rpm unless i am accelerating and even then it doesnt go above 2750 unless i a really gunning it. down low i have WAY more torque. like in 4 wheel drive i can get my truck to launch forward offroad now. before it would accelerate in 4wd but it wouldnt actually launch the truck.

Edited by Nefarious

the truck is still running a little rich as well too so I am really thinking about taking a crack at rom tuning. I have a bag full of EPROM sockets and i believe the vg30e has an 8 bit ecu am i correct? a nice tune would really wake up this motor with the bigger pipes on it....

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hey been a while, the altima fan is from (i believe) a 94, dont quote me though, its been a while! it was a dual fan setup but both fans were mounted together in a shroud, NOT the seperate fans that some altimas have, and thanks!