Just starting out

802stock

Hey so this site seems great. I just bought a 98 pathfinder and was wondering what would be the best upgrade would be to make this into a trail/field rig. I have a little of both and the tailpipe already broke off- where it was welded to the muffler. I just want to prevent more major problems from coming up.

Before doing any mods, make sure your front suspension towers aren't rusted out. Get that addressed ASAP.

After that, I'd say make sure your suspension/steering parts/half-shafts/wheel bearings/hoses/belts/ignition/fluids are in good shape before you spend money on tires. A worn out suspension will only wear out your fancy new tires. Big tires will magnify *anything* wrong with your setup and accelerate the demise of anything marginal.

Once you have a solid baseline established, then consider mods, but figure out what you want to do with your rig. A weekend trail rig for driving on fire roads to go camping or mountain biking will be built up much differently than a rock buggy and differently from a mud bogger, so consider your end goals first so you aren't buying parts twice.

First mod I'd do is add an external transmission cooler with an external inline filter. Bar none the biggest problem with pathfinders is cooking the tranny due to a clogged up factory transmission cooler.

Second mod I'd do is upgrade the brakes so when you buy bigger tires you can still stop safely. Replace the brake fluid because its probably 14 years old and should go. I never skimped on brakes, and have had close calls that I don't think I could have avoided without them, so I never consider it an extravagance.

After that, create a plan, and get to work :treadmill:

Consider doing the suspension lift before you buy tires, so you can plan for both at the same time.

First mod I'd do is add an external transmission cooler with an external inline filter. Bar none the biggest problem with pathfinders is cooking the tranny due to a clogged up factory transmission cooler.

R50s do not suffer from this problem nearly as often as the WD21s I believe, but this is a good idea for any transmission regardless. The strainer/filter in the transmission pan is more like a rock catcher.