Steering damper

Desertrat55

Gidday all NPORA readers,

I am hoping you can help. I have been trying to fine a steering damper system for my truck here in Oz but no one seems to be interested. If any one knows where I could source the kit, let me know.

Cheers

desertrat55

Gidday all NPORA readers,

I am hoping you can help. I have been trying to fine a steering damper system for my truck here in Oz but no one seems to be interested. If any one knows where I could source the kit, let me know.

Cheers

desertrat55

Are you looking for a manufacturer, or a place to buy, or both? I know of at least Rancho, Moog, Monroe, and Old Man Emu off the top of my head make them. I would see if a local place could source one of those to save on shipping, or we could start finding places stateside in the US that will ship to you.

Are you looking for a manufacturer, or a place to buy, or both? I know of at least Rancho, Moog, Monroe, and Old Man Emu off the top of my head make them. I would see if a local place could source one of those to save on shipping, or we could start finding places stateside in the US that will ship to you.

Thanks for the quick reply, read a post from Extreem90Path, he purchased a kit some where but didn't say where from. I have tried to find one here in Oz and they have the dampeners but do not come with instruction or fittings. There is a fitting on the drag link but no one seems to know where to mount the opposite end of the dampener.

If I could find the a fitting kit I could then try to find a photo to help with the installation. Otherwise the complete system is my only option.

Cheers

Desertrat55

Thanks for the quick reply, read a post from Extreem90Path, he purchased a kit some where but didn't say where from. I have tried to find one here in Oz and they have the dampeners but do not come with instruction or fittings. There is a fitting on the drag link but no one seems to know where to mount the opposite end of the dampener.

If I could find the a fitting kit I could then try to find a photo to help with the installation. Otherwise the complete system is my only option.

Cheers

Desertrat55

Being an Aussie truck we have one of the same :-)

One end attches to the centre link as you said and the other to the passenger (L/H) chassis rail near the idler arm mounts. Here you will see two holes, one above the other, where the dampener pin mounts. I had to get this pin from Nissan, but the dampener was just a common one listed for a Terrano.

IMG_0638.jpg

Hard to see as everything is black except for a rusty washer looking part of the dampener, where it mounts on the pin.

One end attches to the centre link as you said and the other to the passenger (L/H) chassis rail near the idler arm mounts. Here you will see two holes, one above the other, where the dampener pin mounts. I had to get this pin from Nissan, but the dampener was just a common one listed for a Terrano.

IMG_0638.jpg

Hard to see as everything is black except for a rusty washer looking part of the dampener, where it mounts on the pin.

Mega cheers mate, I have a Bilstine spring over dampener that came of my Patro that I was forced to sell to pay for medical conditions. Now, thanks for your photo I know what to get.

Won't have it on for the 4WDAction DVD shoot tomorrow, but it will be on as soon as can get the pin. Thanks again.

Any chance of some recent pics of ya truck with all the armor fitted?

Cheers.

Mega cheers mate, I have a Bilstine spring over dampener that came of my Patro that I was forced to sell to pay for medical conditions. Now, thanks for your photo I know what to get.

Won't have it on for the 4WDAction DVD shoot tomorrow, but it will be on as soon as can get the pin. Thanks again.

Any chance of some recent pics of ya truck with all the armor fitted?

Cheers.

Might be something in my build thread? My link If not I will see if I can find something for you.

• 2 years later...

Posted Image

Happen to have a part # on that pin? Appears to be the last part I need to install my damper..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4x4parts.com sells both the Rancho and belstine. They come with all the parts. You only have Minimal effort to install and really help with the steering enhancements. One of the best money I have installed,spent.

Last I checked Nissan only has a few oem damper pins left. I had mine ordered in from Japan at the local Nissan dealer. It was only about 11$ and then i just bought the damper from the parts store. It's all common metric nuts/bolts to attach it all up

the bracket that's on the factory center link will only work with the Nissan OEM steering damper, you generally have to get them off to run an aftermarket one like Rancho.

I've got a moog damper with instructions that state "toyota 4wd" but it looks like a pretty common bushing assembly so it shouldn't be hard to craft up something. Do I take this to mean that the nissan damper pin bolted to the frame in the picture is also not used or just the bracket on the center link? I'm looking at what I've got and it looks like I'm missing something to mount it to. Just like a front shock, it looks like a small plate bolted to the frame with a hole for the other end of the shock to go through would suffice.. The centerlink adapter is perfect size for the bushing assembly on one end of the damper, but the other end just looks like it's in need of a bracket to screw onto that isn't there.. Could certainly weld something up..

Looking at the pics of that pin, it appears the damper/bushing is attached at the frame, the reverse of mine which should bolt right up to the bracket on the center link, but I can't see the other end attached to the center link in the picture.. to see what is there..

On my Rancho steering stabilizer I have a plate that uses two of the bolts/holes that line up with steering pump and a hole for the stabilizer. The other end has a plate that is mounted to center link with u-bolts and a hole for the other end of stabilizer. After I loosely mounted the u-bolts, I turned the wheels to the right side, and pulled the other end out of stabilizer and attached, the tighten the u-bolts up, then tested the full range of stabilizer. There was no need to remove the stock bracket on center link because the new Rancho stabilizer is bigger/longer than the the stock versions. In the test drive I have noticed a much more stable front end. It doesn't wander around even though the alignment still needs done after lifting truck.

Edited by Nissanland

Nissan is showing 5 of the pins by themselves left in the US at the moment.

PART NUMBER: 48612-31G00

DESCRIPTION: PIN-STEERING DAMPNER

$15.08 (Nissan List: $20.10)

Take that part number to your local dealer and see if they can get it there. Shipping something like that from the US will cost more than the part does. $23.95 for priority mail for 6-10 days

Yes it is the pin to mount to the frame rail.

If you look on the inside of your frame rail near the steering box, there are two bolt threads in the front of the frame.

Those are the threads for the dampner pin. You can see it in FAST section 481-001

• 2 years later...

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'll bring this one to the top again.

I have an OE steering damper pin on the way. However, I'm having difficulty tracking down a damper that is known to fit without having to buy a bracket kit or having to pay for a bracket kit included in the price.

Can anybody give me a part number and brand of steering damper for just the damper that is known to fit as OE for a 95 Pathfinder?

Thanks. Resbum

Thanks for the feedback. Yep. I was going to use its specs to see if I could find a comparable Bilstein. If not that a Rancho. Most of the people here who mentioned them seem to like them.

Resbum

i had the monroe one for years and it is still fine, sitting on the shelf with the pin right now. It doesn't take as much abuse as the shocks do. I have a rancho one on there now but only used it because it came with my steering kit from 4x4parts.