Performance...what next?

winnipegjohnston

So I put on a K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust and noticed a nice increase in performance. It seems like there are NO aftermarket mods for my VQ35?! Wtf?! It is such a smooth running and sophisticated motor that I thought there would be more aftermarket support for this engine. I cant find ANYTHING! What mods do you guys know of? Would cams from another VQ series motor do anything for me? I can't believe there is basically zero aftermarket support for this motor!

Site note: I have a 2001 3.5l auto pathy se.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!

Say what you want but I would NOT touch that VQ in any way. They are really cheesy built engines meant to go into beige crapmobiles. If you do mod it, you are playing with fire.

LOL, thats why there are several tt kits and supercharger kits for g's, z's and so on.

None are available for Pathfinders.

Edited by Tungsten

Pretty much clearance issues are why many things such as exhaust headers ect are not available. Pretty much the only performance upgrades that are available are intake/popcharger, custom exhaust, plenum spacer, cams...thats about it that I have heard of. There is one guy that put a supercharger on his vq r50 he kinda dropped off after awhile

Its a VQ35DE. Which means its a VQ35DE. Same as a 350Z. The block and heads are the same. But yes the accessories are arranged different and the intake but the basics are the same. There are aftermarket cams for them that AC or JIM Wolf Tech. Plus you could put higher compression pistons in it if you wanted. But unless you are wanting to put a lot of money into it I would go to far. Cuz then you would have to start replacing alot of parts.

I will vouch for the VR38DETT as well. Stock N/A VQ35DEs will grenade with as little as 4 psi of boost. If you want performance, you have to actually take the engine apart and re-engineer it with beefier rods, a beefier crank, etc. The engine was designed for 250 hp from factory and that's it. That was done to make the rotating mass as low as possible for the factory power output for maximum efficiency. The VQ35DE has about the same power as the VG30DETT but only in factory form. The VG block itself can push up to 60 psi of boost! Anyway back to hopping up the VQ, you can't do much with bolt-ons except add a oily cone filter, which may kill the MAF sensor, and add a cat back exhaust.

Pretty much clearance issues are why many things such as exhaust headers ect are not available. Pretty much the only performance upgrades that are available are intake/popcharger, custom exhaust, plenum spacer, cams...thats about it that I have heard of. There is one guy that put a supercharger on his vq r50 he kinda dropped off after awhile

The headers are not available for the engine not because of clearance issues but because of the emissions crap like catalytic converters.

01silvapathy has it right: intake, exhaust, plenum spacer, and cams is about it. Unless you got a bunch of cash you can custom build all of it :crossedwires:

The plenum spacer looks fairly simple to install. Anybody know of before and after dyno results for the plenum spacer? Same question regarding cams...any "proof" of gains out there that you guys know of?

I don't want to dump a huge amount of money into this vehicle for performance...that's what my Subaru STi is for. I, like most of you just want MO' POWA!!

Would cams from a 350z VQ "work" ? I dunno, just throwing it out there... I can't find ANYTHING on the net.

Thanks for all the responses : )

Edited by winnipegjohnston

The plenum spacer looks fairly simple to install. Anybody know of before and after dyno results for the plenum spacer? Same question regarding cams...any "proof" of gains out there that you guys know of?

I don't want to dump a huge amount of money into this vehicle for performance...that's what my Subaru STi is for. I, like most of you just want MO' POWA!!

Would cams from a 350z VQ "work" ? I dunno, just throwing it out there... I can't find ANYTHING on the net.

Thanks for all the responses : )

If you don't want to dump any money then just leave it alone. The cams will work but it's more involved than that because then there is ECU tuning and all that other nonsense.

Do not go looking for 350z parts, because they are not going to fit. I currently have intake and exhaust. Btw, here is how it sounds.

I was thinking of putting some headers from the 350z, but the fitment needs modifications because it does not fit directly, since the R50's exhaust system is longer.

I am trying to find time and money so my mechanic can install the headers and when he does, I will explain what he needed to do. After the headers are done, I am not sure if VQ35 cams fit the R50, but I am definitely considering a piggyback ECU.

Unfortunately, I search almost daily for performance parts that fits my Pathfinder, but almost nothing shows up, besides a throttle body spacer which I am skeptical about.

Let me know what other parts you know of.

That's right, gut that crap and be done with it! Mine will just make a popping sound out of the exhaust since I have a high flow cat, which I need to pass inspection around here or it doesn't pass.

That's right, gut that crap and be done with it! Mine will just make a popping sound out of the exhaust since I have a high flow cat, which I need to pass inspection around here or it doesn't pass.

lol, I did not even have to take my Path to the inspection this year and still passed! (that happens when you are friends with a certified inspector)

01silvapathy has it right: intake, exhaust, plenum spacer, and cams is about it. Unless you got a bunch of cash you can custom build all of it :crossedwires:

which plenum spacer exactly? because I can only find the the skunk2 one supposedly fits because skunk2 told me that I could try to see if it fits while other sites claims that it fits all VQ35DE engines