Turbocharged Pathfinder carving a dune

slick250

Thank you! +1

The front open differentials make it look like it's not using the front axle but I really want to know if he was using 4WD (spinning the front driveshaft at the same speed as the rear) or not. I guess I will have to ask him about that.

Edited by Tungsten

So is it or isn't it? Can't anyone that's not a douchebag give me an answer? Is he purposely driving it in 2wd to kick up some sand? Or is that how the 4x4 works on these things?

I'm about to -1 every post above this one... Can someone give me an answer already? :wtf:

nopity.gif

Settle down, will you?? P...

B

Looks like the OP hasn't been back so why would anyone else try to tell you what was going on? When he does come back he will probably provide the whole world with useful information regarding the project. His other video mentions being in 2wd so just make an assumer of yourself and assume that this was the case this time. Isn't it obvious that this was in 2wd? Dude is bragging about putting two blowers on his VG30 and stuffing that into a Pathfinder. I am all for that type of bravado. He did a good write-up and is following up with videos of the machine in service. I'm much more concerned with how much it will cost me to do the same thing to my rig.

Pathfinders are heavier than 300ZX cars and they are much harder to push against the wind. I can imagine how fast a twin turbo Pathfinder would go through the fuel tank when at full throttle. He said the fuel pump runs out of capacity after 9 PSI of boost. The reason I wanted to know if he used 2wd or 4wd is because I wanted to see how the 4 wheel drive system handles boost. I did see the 2 wheel drive videos already and they did look just like this one. Does using the 4x4 make a difference in the sand with front open differentials? There was no comment that said what it was in this video. Why is there a new thread too?

Edited by Tungsten

Consider this: I don't ever settle down.

What kind of a forum is this when I ask a question and get a stupid as hell answer to it.

That's your problem because if you can't follow these simple directions, you can go be unsettled somewhere else.

Consider not what you ask, but how. Realize that the common denominator is you.

B

• Like 1

I just like to be short and concise in how I write things. If you meet me you will know why. I don't care for being nice or rude as long as it doesn't violate any forum guidelines.

I just like to be short and concise in how I write things. If you meet me you will know why. I don't care for being nice or rude as long as it doesn't violate any forum guidelines.

You dont care for being nice?

Tungsten, had it been in 4wd, the front wheels would've been working much like the rears. They might not have been turning together, with the open diff and all, but the average speed of the front wheels would match that of the rears, because both diff cases spin at the same speed. If the Pathfinder had a center differential, it would be AWD, not 4WD, and would throw sand from whichever wheel had the least traction. (IIRC the Hummer is AWD, with a locker in the center diff for 4WD.) If the front and rear diff cases weren't mechanically locked together in 4WD, you could drive on dry pavement in 4WD without tire chip/windup/driveline stress. Due to the complete lack of sand kicked up by the front wheels, the sandstorm coming out of the back wheels, and the fact that he's showing off, I assumed it was in 2WD. Hope that clears up your question.

Due to how you asked the question, we assumed you knew how 4x4 works. If you'd said, "Is that in 4x4? Still trying to wrap my head around that" we'd have known exactly what you were on about. As is, we assumed you knew how 4x4 works, making the question appear comically retarded. Remember, this is the Internet, we haven't met you. Concise is good, but if we don't understand the question, it's your problem. And if you flip out over a misunderstanding, you lose respect on the forum, and people are less likely to help you.

And I don't know why this is in a separate thread, maybe the OP will clear that up when he logs in again.

And yes, it would be a little slower/worse milage in 4x4. It's just more stuff for any engine to push, regardless of turbos. And yes, it'll never be as fast/efficient as the car the turbos are from. But if he keeps his foot out of it, it may actually be more efficient on-road than it was before the turbos, as a more powerful engine doesn't have to work as hard. (I suspect that the goal of the project wasn't fuel economy.)

There are many different 4x4 systems and they are all set up differently. I know all about locking differentials and center differentials and all that. How a 4x4 system responds to power really depends on how it's set up. I think you cleared it up for me now though. I also think it's in 2x4 instead of 4x4 looking at how much it's fishtailing. I'm now thinking that he uses 2wd on the dunes because the sand gets thrown out into the back instead of going under the body when the tires spin. Also, properly tuned and well maintained stock VG engines do not work very hard at all. A turbo may increase the efficiency but only slightly. The project was definitely done for more power.

Tungsten, had it been in 4wd, the front wheels would've been working much like the rears. They might not have been turning together, with the open diff and all, but the average speed of the front wheels would match that of the rears, because both diff cases spin at the same speed. If the Pathfinder had a center differential, it would be AWD, not 4WD, and would throw sand from whichever wheel had the least traction. (IIRC the Hummer is AWD, with a locker in the center diff for 4WD.) If the front and rear diff cases weren't mechanically locked together in 4WD, you could drive on dry pavement in 4WD without tire chip/windup/driveline stress. Due to the complete lack of sand kicked up by the front wheels, the sandstorm coming out of the back wheels, and the fact that he's showing off, I assumed it was in 2WD. Hope that clears up your question.

Due to how you asked the question, we assumed you knew how 4x4 works. If you'd said, "Is that in 4x4? Still trying to wrap my head around that" we'd have known exactly what you were on about. As is, we assumed you knew how 4x4 works, making the question appear comically retarded. Remember, this is the Internet, we haven't met you. Concise is good, but if we don't understand the question, it's your problem. And if you flip out over a misunderstanding, you lose respect on the forum, and people are less likely to help you.

And I don't know why this is in a separate thread, maybe the OP will clear that up when he logs in again.

And yes, it would be a little slower/worse milage in 4x4. It's just more stuff for any engine to push, regardless of turbos. And yes, it'll never be as fast/efficient as the car the turbos are from. But if he keeps his foot out of it, it may actually be more efficient on-road than it was before the turbos, as a more powerful engine doesn't have to work as hard. (I suspect that the goal of the project wasn't fuel economy.)

Funny part is I have met him before :rofl:

I've been away from my computer, and actually just got back from the dunes again this weekend. I am running it a lot in 2WD for 2 reasons mainly.... I love throwing roost from the rear tires, and because it is much easier on parts. I can hit that rear differential with all I got all day long and never have to worry about it. I could not say the same for the front CV shafts.

I have some 4X4 videos with it, however, they are a little less exciting.