Throw out bearing, or Input Shaft Bearing?

Kyle94

so, i have had this whine coming from something in the trans mission area. ever since i got the truck, (5mnths back?) it has made this sound. it makes the noise in all gears except fouth. BUT here is the thing, if i clutch a certain way (let it slide or let it jump a lil bit) it WONT make the noise. and it does NOT make the noise under Deceleration... i had Mr.510 (Mister510?) drive it one day, but he hasnt had much experience with 5spd pathfinders. and he said it was the throw out bearing. because on the previous pathfinder i had, the noise was all the time except fourth, and it make noise under decel or accel, and that was the input. so this one really has me lost. i dont want to go out and buy the wrong part, just to find out i have to rebuild the trans. (pretty much). so what do you guys think? :thumbsdown:

edit: forgot to mention that it makes a sound in neutral with the clutch ENGAGED, unless i let it out VERY slowly... :scratchhead:

Edited by Kyle94

I was under the impression that the throwout bearing could not make any noise except when you have the clutch pedal depressed. The throwout bearing allows you to apply pressure to the spinning clutch plate mechanism with the fixed clutch fork. The bearing makes it so that the fork doesn't get torn off. Perhaps counterintuitively the clutch is fully engaged when there is no pressure applied to it. It uses springs and some weird mechanism to disengage when you push on it.

in N run the engine up to high rpm and stomp on the clutch. Let off the gas but NOT BEFORE the clutch hits the floor.

If the sound you hear in neutral continues as the shaft spins on momentum alone I'd say it is the tranny

If the sound you hear in neutral stops as soon as you stomp and let off the gas I'd say its the TO bearing

i will try this tomorrow after school. :)

I was under the impression that the throwout bearing could not make any noise except when you have the clutch pedal depressed. The throwout bearing allows you to apply pressure to the spinning clutch plate mechanism with the fixed clutch fork. The bearing makes it so that the fork doesn't get torn off. Perhaps counterintuitively the clutch is fully engaged when there is no pressure applied to it. It uses springs and some weird mechanism to disengage when you push on it.

i was told that the Throw out bearing spins full time regardless if clutch is engaged or disengaged.. i dunno. :shrug:

Had a HB trans act like what sounds eerily similar to that... Unfortunately my issue was internal in the transmission.

Oh? like what internal? :( i dont REALLY want to do another trans swap... but whatever fixes it. im gonna try My1path's idea tomorrow...

On our type of trucks the release bearing is only fully loaded when the clutch pedal is depressed. I guess I am unsure of whether or not it has any preload... if so, it would spin all the time, you are right... FSM doesn't say that I can tell.

Sounds to me like input shaft bearing. Has the fluid level been increased as per the TSB? If not, that bearing has been starved of fluid.

Also, make sure to use GL-4 ONLY. I ran a GL-5 fluid in my first WD21, and destroyed the bronze synchros in the transmission. They came out in chunks.

it is internal i had mine rebuilt and it did not sound any diff after, i put probably 30,000 kms on it since and is still fine i also have heard others sound the same with no ill effects and yes as posted earlier there was the issue of not having enough fluid from the factory,

Sounds to me like input shaft bearing. Has the fluid level been increased as per the TSB? If not, that bearing has been starved of fluid.

Also, make sure to use GL-4 ONLY. I ran a GL-5 fluid in my first WD21, and destroyed the bronze synchros in the transmission. They came out in chunks.

This^^^

I am willing to bet someone put the wrong fluid in or didn't fill it up all the way, it happens all the time. When I took my dads to get the oils change I took it to 3 different places before I found one that knew what I was talking about when I said gl5=death.

This^^^

I am willing to bet someone put the wrong fluid in or didn't fill it up all the way, it happens all the time. When I took my dads to get the oils change I took it to 3 different places before I found one that knew what I was talking about when I said gl5=death.

yes it HAS been switched to G-4, (amsoil in fact) and has been "overfilled" but it has been making this noise since i bought it. ( did the fluid change my self!) :)

EDIT: what makes me beleive that it is in fact throw out bearing, is the fluid change/overfill did NOT quiet or affect the noise in anyway... so idunno. :shrug:

Edited by Kyle94