87 Pathy

maddoc

Picked up a 87 pathfinder from a friend, i don't know too much about these machines but here is what i have

2011-09-10_14-56-53_328.jpg

2011-09-10_15-35-20_77.jpg

2011-09-11_14-32-56_394.jpg

2011-09-21_13-55-33_656.jpg

Bought it with a known bad fuel pump, so dropped the tank and found the tank was bad so i replaced it with a new one.

2011-09-17_16-22-59_949.jpg

When the vehicle is running and in park my fuel light, battery light, brake light, and A/T oil temp light all come on, it also doesn't start in park only in neutral, the lights all go away when im not in park so im convinced the sensor is dead.

starting pulling the console apart to get to the sensor, ran out of time before work

2011-09-21_13-55-21_833.jpg

Fixed my front left turn signal today, put a new bulb in and still had nothing, a few minutes with the multi-meter by checking for continuity on the plug with the turn signal activated, when the bulb is suppose to flash you will get continuity between the two wires. If you do this and you getting continuity then its your turn signal housing. My bulb was not getting good ground inside the plug a few minutes with a screw driver to scrape the metal clean and now i have turn signals

For the battery light, brake light, and A/T oil temp lights being on that is the "code" for a bad alternator. Check at the battery while its running, voltage should be around 13-14 volts

Good info, when I get off work I will have to check, The lights are kinda intermitant I noticed today they comeone right away when the car is in park, as i shift between park and drive the three indicator lights come on and off accordingly. Also come on for a min while drving if i hit the cruise control on button.

Whoever installed the head unit really dicked with the wiring, the head unit only came on with head lights on.

Edited by maddoc

Did some work to the Pathy today. Got the blower motor working again, ended up being a bad connection at the motor, still need to find out why i get power at settings 1-3 but not 4 on the blower.

2011-09-22_12-07-51_320.jpg

I tested the battery as suggested and got this with the car in park and running with the indicator lights mentioned below displayed

2011-09-22_13-19-09_719.jpg

said indicator lights

2011-09-22_13-19-46_575.jpg

and a short video of the lights coming on and off as i shift between Park and Drive

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb181/Matthewbeard/1987%20Nissan%20Pathfinder/?action=view&current=2011-09-22_13-20-04_727.mp4

Based on the information i have of a known bad neutral switch since i have to start in neutral not park, the battery receiving 17 volts with indicator lights on and indicator lights only on in park it leads me to believe that the neutral switch is the root cause.

Edited by maddoc

Based on the information i have of a known bad neutral switch since i have to start in neutral not park, the battery receiving 17 volts with indicator lights on and indicator lights only on in park it leads me to believe that the neutral switch is the root cause.

17 volts sounds like too much. Probably you have a problem with the alternator or some voltage regulator?

17 volts sounds like too much. Probably you have a problem with the alternator or some voltage regulator?

If i dont work this weekend I will pull the alternator and have it tested.

any thoughts on the lights on when i shift to park?

17V will boil your battery out in short order.

As for the lights, missing ground wire somewhere?

I just re-read the thread. Adamzan posted above that those lights mean bad alternator, which you confirmed by measure too high a voltage.

Edited by sewebster

I just re-read the thread. Adamzan posted above that those lights mean bad alternator, which you confirmed by measure too high a voltage.

Yup, just waiting to pull the Alternator to do a final ops check. thanks for the good info.

I just ordered a FSM on amazon, so when that comes in and anybody needs a few pages scanned let me know.

Looks like a good project. Good luck on it.

Yup, just waiting to pull the Alternator to do a final ops check. thanks for the good info.

I just ordered a FSM on amazon, so when that comes in and anybody needs a few pages scanned let me know.

I posted a link to the FSM here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3815&view=findpost&p=591544

Edited by Northernpathy

I definitely missed that some how. Thanks for posting!

Ran some diagnostics on the pathy came up with code 11 camshaft sensor.

my Throttle position sensor is not functioning

and my speed sensor is reading below 12mph while according to the diagnostic the light on the ECM is not suppose to come on until 12mph, mine comes on at about 6mph

Edited by maddoc

It's definitely worth having a paper copy of the FSM. I paid a lot... at least $75 and I don't regret buying it at all.

Thats what I figured, the one i purchased said 87 on the cover

http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Truck-Pathfinder-1987-Service/dp/B000BKD8MG/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

pretty cheap for used, i bought the one in best shape but they had one that was a little rough and second in decent. if anybody is interested

It's definitely worth having a paper copy of the FSM. I paid a lot... at least $75 and I don't regret buying it at all.

For sure. Is nice to have it in the truck with you while you are working on something.

Though if you can't get an original copy, you could always get Kinko's/Staples/etc to print out the pdf version.

I never found a decent paper copy up here for a reasonable price. Only one I ever found was selling for $300. I can almost buy a whole truck for that price.

I need to look up the copyright laws for the book but i plan on making a digital copy of the FSM and if the copyright is expired then i may sell them

Edited by maddoc

I need to look up the copy-write laws for the book but i plan on making a digital copy of the FSM and if the copy-write is expired then i may sell them

Heh, copyright in the US is something ludicrous like 100 years after the death of the author, and they keep extending it, so it's basically forever. It's really quite dumb.

Yea because a lot of things are different on the 87. I didn't know till I got mine that the all clear code for the ECM is 44 on an 87 instead of code 55 like the newer trucks.

James

Had the alternator tested today, it was pulling an impressive 20 Volts AC, the new one is a few days out so looks like i will be driving my jeep instead

You lucky you didn't fry anything with AC voltage. Did you get another 60 amp?

James

New Alternator is in

2011-09-28_16-42-33_862.jpg

I was having trouble getting the front bolt to line up but a bottle jack solved my problems

2011-09-28_16-58-07_282.jpg

Just battery

2011-09-28_16-58-34_511.jpg

Reading around 14v instead of the 17v i was getting previously

2011-09-28_16-59-12_789.jpg

still getting my dash lights though, any suggestions?

Started blocking the hood prep for primer

2011-09-28_13-52-47_927.jpg

Edited by maddoc