35's

01silvapathy

Just my .02-

1. It looks GREAT! KUDOS!

2. Be careful with those big of spacers... you'll be going through the wheel bearings like crazy!

3. REGEAR REGEAR REGEAR Not only will you get WAY better gas mileage AND performance with it, but at the time the shop is re-gearing you can throw in a locker!

4. I'm TOTALLY JEALOUS lol!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 33's and am actually getting better gas mileage. You just have to add the tire size percentage to the mileage. Also adding wheel spacers is no different than having a rim with less back spacing. I had 3 inch back spacing on my old pathfinder for years and never once had an issue with bearings. Just maintain everything properly. But must say looks sweet.

Looks sick man! My thoughts:

-Don't cut up a perfectly good truck unless you are 150% sure this is what you want to do. I hesitate to do such things to a daily driver.

-It looks to me like everyone telling you to regear has a VG33. I wouldn't unless you can get gears cheap, the VQ has plenty of get up and go.

-Come to MD and take me off roading so I can regret selling my R50 more than I already do.

Im really debating on it, pretty sure im going to wait until I get the wheel spacers on in the rear to see where it rubs and how bad then trim as nessicary. It is after all a offroading rig and what good is it if I cant flex without rubbing.....if I rub some may say go to a smaller tire...but upgrading to these tires gave me an additional 2in of ground clearance both front and rear...thats alot! So If I have to cut some for it to be functional so be it. I dont tend to be one that half-asses stuff if I do have to cut....it will look good!

In terms of re gearing thats all depending on how the next few weeks go. Sure its not the fastest but its got plenty of grunt to push itself around. I guess my main worry is off road torque and power if I feel its really lacking then I might have to gear. In terms of on road it cruises straight down the highway at 70mph at 2k without any issues...minus the loud hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm from the tires, sounds like a helicopter going thru tunnels and under bridges lol!

nice work all round.

As to the fenders, here's a little piece to mull over....

The front fenders are easy enough to replace if you don't like the end result. The rear...... Well..... You know what Im sayin. I would never want to hack away at a part of the body that is so intensive to fix. Sometimes the Grass is greener on the other side of the fence, but you never notice the Pot holes until you get over there.

I have 33's and am actually getting better gas mileage. You just have to add the tire size percentage to the mileage. Also adding wheel spacers is no different than having a rim with less back spacing. I had 3 inch back spacing on my old pathfinder for years and never once had an issue with bearings. Just maintain everything properly. But must say looks sweet.

You sir, are uneducated...

1. there's NO WAY you get better gas mileage out of larger tires! That's like saying a 300 pound brick house who benches 600lbs can run faster than a lean 5'8", 145 pound olympic sprinter because the meat head has more muscle. Larger tires mean more weight to go around which adds more friction which therefore causes the motor to have to work harder for the wheel to go around (mass+friction=more used power= LESS MPG)

2. if you're having to push a wheel out (away from the hubs) then there is added stress to wheel bearings. THEY WILL FAIL if taken to extremes.

How much space do you need in the back to clear? 1/2"? (or did I miss that post)

I'd suggest you just get new rims, but you might need different spacing in the front than in the rear, so it might not even be a good option with your setup.

I also like the fact you are still using stock rims. I've looked at pic's of mine with the 2" lift and 31's and still like how they looked. I think they look even better with large tires (33+).

1. there's NO WAY you get better gas mileage out of larger tires! That's like saying a 300 pound brick house who benches 600lbs can run faster than a lean 5'8", 145 pound olympic sprinter because the meat head has more muscle. Larger tires mean more weight to go around which adds more friction which therefore causes the motor to have to work harder for the wheel to go around (mass+friction=more used power= LESS MPG)

I don't really disagree, but it depends on the truck's gearing too. In some theoretical case where with small tires your truck is running at super high RPMs, potentially the fuel economy could be improved by moving to a larger tire and dropping the engine speed to reasonable levels. Not that this is happening here really... presumably the stock gearing is optimized for the stock tire size in most ways.

2. if you're having to push a wheel out (away from the hubs) then there is added stress to wheel bearings. THEY WILL FAIL if taken to extremes.

Yup, but if the stock wheel bearings are overbuilt by a ton, then it may be possible to push the wheels out some while maintaining a livable bearing lifetime. Again, not disagreeing with you really...

With my old 1.5in wheel spacers I never had an issue with wheel bearings, in fact the first time I ever took them apart to service was about 6 months ago after the fact I had had my wheel spacers installed for over a year and a half. The bearings looked in great shape and were repacked and reinstalled and still run great today without any issues. I dont think an extra half inch will do it much more harm.

And yeah my rpm's dropped for highway crusing, but may be a bit higher for local driving. I filled up today and started my gps odometer, I will report back with my findings on mpg.

You sir, are uneducated...

http://www.omix-ada.com/gear-ratio-vs-tire-size.asp

Check it out.

Would you agree that with bigger tires you actually go further than if you use stock tires? So if your odometer says 100 miles you actually went further right? Lets just say "actually" 110 miles. So if it took "never in a pathfinder" 5 gallons you would say ok I got 20 MPG. Right??? Ok if you recalculate for tire size then you would have gotten 22 MPG. Well that is what happened to me. I bought two inch bigger tires back in the spring. I keep extremely detailed tracking of my gas mileage. So let just say I have a super truck then. I am getting a constant extra 1.2-1.5 MPG better. So maybe its just me and my truck but hey whatever. Plus you don't know anything about me so I think its messed up your comment "U are uneducated". Not that it matters but yes I am. I have a civil engineering degree and a fabrication degree.

I am by no means a smart person esp when it comes to mathematics lol. All I know is I filled up my tank today and I rest my trip odometer on both the truck and on my gps which is in the truck and on whenever it is. The gps is 99 percent accurate so we will see how tire size affects both the mpg and distance.

Would you agree that with bigger tires you actually go further than if you use stock tires? So if your odometer says 100 miles you actually went further right? Lets just say "actually" 110 miles. So if it took "never in a pathfinder" 5 gallons you would say ok I got 20 MPG. Right??? Ok if you recalculate for tire size then you would have gotten 22 MPG. Well that is what happened to me. I bought two inch bigger tires back in the spring. I keep extremely detailed tracking of my gas mileage. So let just say I have a super truck then. I am getting a constant extra 1.2-1.5 MPG better. So maybe its just me and my truck but hey whatever. Plus you don't know anything about me so I think its messed up your comment "U are uneducated". Not that it matters but yes I am. I have a civil engineering degree and a fabrication degree.

I meant you were uneducated with what I quoted you on... If you get better gas milage with bigger tires you'd literally be THE FIRST person out of THOUSANDS on MULTIPLE forums that this has happened to that I know of. With stock gearing and going bigger than factory set tires you will loose efficiency (MPG) UNDOUBTABLY! And you are correct- if you don't change the trucks computer's "set tire reading" then you will have traveled further distance than your odometer reads, and you'll be driving faster than your speedo reads. With larger tires it takes longer to get the wheel around to make a complete circumference than it did before. This however does NOT mean you'll get better gas mileage. Now take your degrees and talk to someone who cares about them!

:owned:

Sorry to get off topic from the awesome work of the original thread poster.

Edited by mattyrides07

I meant you were uneducated with what I quoted you on... If you get better gas milage with bigger tires you'd literally be THE FIRST person out of THOUSANDS on MULTIPLE forums that this has happened to that I know of. With stock gearing and going bigger than factory set tires you will loose efficiency (MPG) UNDOUBTABLY! And you are correct- if you don't change the trucks computer's "set tire reading" then you will have traveled further distance than your odometer reads, and you'll be driving faster than your speedo reads. With larger tires it takes longer to get the wheel around to make a complete circumference than it did before. This however does NOT mean you'll get better gas mileage. Now take your degrees and talk to someone who cares about them!

:owned:

Sorry to get off topic from the awesome work of the original thread poster.

Wow. Maybe I am the first because I am smart enough to recalculate for tire size when I do my mileage. Oh an by the way I drive a 5 speed. Which gets better mileage anyway. I am sure if you are driving an automatic then no it wont because the computer will keep down shifting and you don't have as much control. So why don't you shove your head up your rearend where it belongs and be opened minded to the possibility that you dont know everything.

Wouldn't you expect to get better mileage with larger tires? If you drive the same speed as before (REAL speed, not what it says on the speedo) then your engine will be turning slightly slower. This will reduce your power, but quite possibly slightly increase your mileage. If you go too far then your engine will be lugging and your mileage will decrease again. Anyway, I don't know what really happens, but it doesn't seem so ludicrous to me. The jeep chart that someone posted above says the same thing actually.

Man Andrew, your posts seem to have a propensity to get :jacked: .

Can't we all just :friday::beer:

But seriously, you guys might want to make a new thread for the conversation (or we probably already have a topic for this and I'm just to lazy to check). If you do make a new one, I'll be sure to tune in and watch.:cheetos:

As stated..... no need to turn this into a pissing match. If you don't have Actual experience, then there is no need to comment since anything you say will be hearsay anyway. Even with charts, it's not accurate since it would depend a lot on the engine in the vehicle. A lot of engines can handle different weight loads without being overly taxed on fuel.

Lets try and keep it from getting a bit too hostile.