My 2.5" SFD

So after being inspired by people on this site, I decided to make myself a SFD. Thanks to the info available I had all the block dimensions without even pulling a bolt out. The strut spacer geometry was the only tricky part. I actually only spaced the struts 2.125" and the sub frame the full 2.5. This way it brings my cv angle back closer to stock.

Here are the strut spacers

03112011194.jpg

09052011071.jpg

I believe the angles were 12 degrees and 5 degrees and you can't just simply add them together and divide by two to find the created angle at 45 degrees to the normal axis. If you draw it on a 3D softare you will see that it is closer to 12.5 degrees. I just wire EDM cut the pipe to exactly 12 and 5 so i didn't need to find the angle at 45. Welding them in orentation to the flanges was the confusing part, but I got it and they worked great! My chamber angle is perfect.

09052011073.jpg

The steering was a problem. I started with just a block to bridge the gap. Bad idea. It was terrible. My steering was screwed up before which I found out while doing the SFD that the U joint was siezed. So after arm wrestling my steering wheel for a couple days, I took out the block and bolted and welding in a second U joint. It works perfect now.

09052011072.jpg

09052011070.jpg

For the rear I used F250 shocks and made some coil spacers from some pipe.

Before with OME HD's front fender height of 35.5" and rear 36.5

DSC02458.jpg

12192010101-1.jpg

After front fender height 37 3/4 and rear 39"

09052011069.jpg

• 1 month later...

I keep reading about strapping up F250 shocks, but haven't gathered the make/model of the F250 in question... Mind clearing it up for me? I don't really want to burn $80/shock for the Ranchos, when pickup truck shocks are usually $30 with the same travel.

I appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Mario

BTW: Beautiful SFD, beats paying $500+shipping on the prefabbed. If you ever feel like building another set minus the steering parts, I'd gladly buy it ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I believe the angles were 12 degrees and 5 degrees and you can't just simply add them together and divide by two to find the created angle at 45 degrees to the normal axis. If you draw it on a 3D softare you will see that it is closer to 12.5 degrees. I just wire EDM cut the pipe to exactly 12 and 5 so i didn't need to find the angle at 45. Welding them in orentation to the flanges was the confusing part, but I got it and they worked great! My chamber angle is perfect.

I'm bumping this thread to point out how little sense this made

Have a nice day!

-Kyle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...