Catalyst Readiness monitor not resetting

I am having the worst luck trying to get my emissions inspection to pass in St Louis Missouri, I had a P0430 DTC which caused a failure. I cleared the code and it has not come back since, ( about 300 miles of driving) The problem is that the catalyst readiness monitor has not reset. My question is, a)is the P0430 code not returning because the catalyst monitor needs to be ready.

B) Is the catalyst monitor not resetting because the cat is bad.

If it is the cat that needs replaced, is it the Pre-cat on the drivers side, LHS USA or both pre and post drivers side.

My licence tags are expired and I cannot register my vehicle until it passes inspection

Please help

Steve

Sounds like you may need this TSB performed so you can pass....

Classification:EC02-020a Reference: NTB02-087a Date:January 22, 2003

2001 PATHFINDER MIL ON WITH DTC P0420/P0430 BANK-1/BANK-2 CATALYST

IMPORTANT: THIS BULLETIN HAS BEEN REVISED.

Chart A on page 2 was revised by changing the Built from date to 8/2/00 instead of 8/2/02.

Please discard previously distributed copies of NTB02-087.

Use this bulletin NTB02-087a for complete information.

APPLIED VEHICLE: 2001 Pathfinder (R50)

SERVICE INFORMATION

If an applied 2001 Pathfinder has a MIL "ON" and either or both of the following DTCs

stored in the ECM:

P0420

P0430

Use the appropriate Service Procedure steps to determine if the bulletin applies to this

vehicle. If the bulletin applies, complete the applicable Service Procedure steps to repair

the incident, if it should occur.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

You will perform the following, as required:

Determine the DTC Stored in the ECM from the CONSULT-II Self-diagnosis results.

ECM Part Number Check to determine if this bulletin applies.

ECM Reprogramming (required if the ECM P/N in the vehicle matches one of those

listed under Current ECM P/N in Chart A - page 2).

IMPORTANT: Do NOT replace the catalytic converters as part of this procedure.

Determine the DTC Stored in the ECM:

1. Determine which DTC code is stored in the vehicle's ECM by performing CONSULT-II

Self-Diagnosis.

2. Print out the Self-Diagnosis results for use in ECM Part Number Check, below. See

Figure 1 for an example of the CONSULT-II Self-Diagnosis printout.

Figure 1

ECM Part Number Check

1. Compare the vehicle's current ECM P/N (from your CONSULT-II Self Diagnosis

printout) to those shown under Current ECM P/N in Chart A, below:

Chart A Current ECM P/N's:

Vehicle Model Year Vehicle Configuration Current ECM P/N

Built before 8/2/00:

A/T 23710-4W000, -4W001, -4W002

2001 M/T 23710-4W010, -4W011, -4W012

Built from 8/2/00:

A/T 23710-4W020, -4W021, -4W022

MT 23710-4W060, -4W061, -4W062

A. If the ECM P/N in the vehicle matches one of those listed under "Current ECM P/N"

in Chart A (above):

Look in the Vehicle Configuration column in Chart A (above) and determine the

vehicle configuration. Make a note of the vehicle configuration and perform

ECM Reprogramming on page 3.

B. If the ECM P/N in the vehicle does not match one of those listed under "Current

ECM P/N" in Chart A (above):

This bulletin does not apply. Use the appropriate Electronic Service Manual

(ESM) to further diagnose and repair the incident.

SELF-DIAG RESULTS

SYSTEM ENGINE

DATE 09/01/2002 12:07:11

P/N 23710-4W001

DTC

Code

TP020016a

DTC RESULTS TIME

TW CATALYST SYS-B1

Current ECM Part Number

TW CATALYST SYS-B2 5

[P0430]

[P0420]

ECM Reprogramming

1. Perform ECM Reprogramming to install the latest available ECM data.

If you are unfamiliar with ECM Reprogramming, click here to link to the "ECM

Reprogramming For Nissan Vehicles" general procedure or refer to "ECM

Reprogramming For Nissan Vehicles" in the print copy of this bulletin.

For those familiar with ECM Reprogramming, perform the following:

Figure 2

A) Select model and model year for the applied vehicle (i.e. Pathfinder, 2001).

B) Locate the vehicle configuration, you made note of in step 1A on page 2, from those

listed in the upper right ECM data description window.

C) Make a note of the To number listed in the ECM Reprogramming Data Summary

screen.

NOTE: The To number will read: 23710-XXXXX.

D) Press Continue and follow directions to perform data download from ASIST to

CONSULT-II.

E) When reprogramming from CONSULT-II, select the To number that you made note

of in step C, above.

2. Use CONSULT-II to do the following:

Confirm DTC P0420 and/or P0430 is repaired.

Erase the DTC code(s).

CLAIMS INFORMATION

Submit a Primary Failed Part (PP) line claim using the following claims coding:

DESCRIPTION PFP OP CODE SYM DIA FRT

Reprogram ECM per TSB (1) DE98AA HD 32 0.7 hrs

(2)

1. Reference the final CONSULT printout and use the indicated ECM P/N as the PFP.

2. Includes sufficient CONSULT diagnostic time do not claim any other diagnostic Op

Code on this claim.

Summary

Update for A/T Models

To 23710-XXXXX VQ35 MT

Replaces 23710-XXXXX, -XXXXX

To 23710-XXXXX VQ35 AT

Replaces 23710-XXXXX, -XXXXX

More

Altima

Maxima 2002

NOTE: Example only, your screen may differ. TP020017a

(This was copied directly from the Tsb on ASIST, from a pdf document. Thats why it looks wierd.)

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

How long ago did you have it flashed? If that repair was performed and you are still getting the code, then take it back. The dealer shoudl look at it for free as did not fix your problem(if thats what you took it in for).

The other possibility is the Air Flow Meter is on its way out. There is no damage to the cat?

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

While investigating a cause for the P0430 failure, I discovered the TSB on the web and had taken my pathy to the dealer to diagnose. They ran the Consult II and showed me that the upgrade had been done earlier prior to my ownership. I cleaned the MAF and sealed the air filter and cleared the code, that was over 500 miles ago. The catalyst monitor has still not reset. Would deterioration of the MAF affect resetting the Catalyst monitor? The reading for the s fuel trim was at 81% and according the dealership, it should be 100% +/- 10. Does this affect the catalyst monitor. Lets be clear, I do not have any DTC codes since clearing them over 500 miles ago.

While investigating a cause for the P0430 failure, I discovered the TSB on the web and had taken my pathy to the dealer to diagnose. They ran the Consult II and showed me that the upgrade had been done earlier prior to my ownership. I cleaned the MAF and sealed the air filter and cleared the code, that was over 500 miles ago. The catalyst monitor has still not reset. Would deterioration of the MAF affect resetting the Catalyst monitor? The reading for the s fuel trim was at 81% and according the dealership, it should be 100% +/- 10. Does this affect the catalyst monitor. Lets be clear, I do not have any DTC codes since clearing them over 500 miles ago.

Yeah, what did you clean the air flow meter with? If it was damaged, it would definately mess the the catalyst function. If the ECU id not reading the MAF correctly because its sending incorrect info, then the O2 sensors will think the Cats have too much or too little oxygen in them. This will cause richening or leaning the fuel mixture. If your rig is at 81%, i think you much be running rich. The MAF is probably reading less air coming in that what is actually coming in. The O2 is picking this up thinking the Catalyst is having a issue. Normally I would take a look at the other bank and see if it is off as well. I have replaced many MAF sensors for this same issue.

I cleaned the MAF sensor with an MAF cleaner and I never had the DTC P0420 on the other bank. Would it not be the case that if it was a bad MAF sensor, that it would affect both sides of the engine and I would have gotten the P0420 code?

The dealership had diagnosed a new MAF and said it may also need a new cat, All of which are expensive along with other recommended fixes. Of course they would say that, if they fix everything that could be wrong it would cost more than the car is worth. I would like to try and narrow it down to the specific cause and fix that. Is there anyway to know for sure if it is the MAF sensor or the Cats, or both?

Yeah, what did you clean the air flow meter with? If it was damaged, it would definately mess the the catalyst function. If the ECU id not reading the MAF correctly because its sending incorrect info, then the O2 sensors will think the Cats have too much or too little oxygen in them. This will cause richening or leaning the fuel mixture. If your rig is at 81%, i think you much be running rich. The MAF is probably reading less air coming in that what is actually coming in. The O2 is picking this up thinking the Catalyst is having a issue. Normally I would take a look at the other bank and see if it is off as well. I have replaced many MAF sensors for this same issue.

Well, you can unbolt the Cat and check to see if its broken inside, or any possible leaks. As far as the MAF goes, you could do some pin testing, but In not sure you will find a definate failure. IF I was looking at it, I would compare real time data from Consult, to what the specs are in the FSM. Driving the vehicle and watching Calculated Load, MAF meter voltage, and MAF sensor data. Under hard accel, usually the Calculated load and sensor data will drop out of spec. The reason the other side might not get picked up is simple. The ecu needs to see a two trip fault(thank you obd2), before it sets a code. One side might pick up quicker than the other. You could try swapping in a good MAF from another vehicle, maybe from another member in your area. Otherwise, you gotta take a shot at something. The MAF sensor is quite chaper than a new cat(plus, the cats dont normally go bad all by themselves). Every tech is differnet, but if he is good, he should of caught this and been able to diagnois it instead of just resetting a few things.

• 2 years later...

Well, you can unbolt the Cat and check to see if its broken inside, or any possible leaks. As far as the MAF goes, you could do some pin testing, but In not sure you will find a definate failure. IF I was looking at it, I would compare real time data from Consult, to what the specs are in the FSM. Driving the vehicle and watching Calculated Load, MAF meter voltage, and MAF sensor data. Under hard accel, usually the Calculated load and sensor data will drop out of spec. The reason the other side might not get picked up is simple. The ecu needs to see a two trip fault(thank you obd2), before it sets a code. One side might pick up quicker than the other. You could try swapping in a good MAF from another vehicle, maybe from another member in your area. Otherwise, you gotta take a shot at something. The MAF sensor is quite chaper than a new cat(plus, the cats dont normally go bad all by themselves). Every tech is differnet, but if he is good, he should of caught this and been able to diagnois it instead of just resetting a few things.

If the MAF was bad wouldn't you be able to see/feel performance drop?