Too Many Tires

enginerd

So through the magic of CraigsList I will have a mostly matching set of eight 31" BFG MTs by the end of the week.

The short story is that one was too cheap to pass on, but has more wear than the others. Three came off a salvage yard truck, and appear to be pretty close to new, tread and condition wise. Another set of 4 are coming my way, from a truck I'll inspect this week. In the first "set" of 4, as the 4th just isn't close enough in tread depth to the rest to put on the truck together. I'm being cheap, but attempting to not be too stupid. Feel free to flame here, it won't bother me.

The question is what I should do with the 7 good tires I'll have. It makes sense to me to keep the best 5 on the truck, and sell off the one that doesn't match diameter-wise. But for the other two, is is worth it to keep them and rotate them in? If so I need two more wheels (Silverton, if I don't hear from you, I'll send you a message to see if you still have my old extras). If not, I'll have two extra tires in very good shape, should someone around here need them.

I know there's no right answer here, but I'm curious if someone has a brilliant idea to make the most of the situation.

You have room to keep them? I have all kinds of spare 31s laying around (most mounted) but have the luxury of having somewhere to keep em all. So if you DO have room, I say keep em all, if not you could donate to my collection :lol:

Yes and no. I have a storage unit, but the wife is already unhappy with the growing stack of tires and motorcycle project which block her access to "seasonal clothes". And a happy wife means I get to play with the project truck and bike. That's how Silverton ended up with my extra lego wheels last time.

In a way, craiglist has become my storage space.

• 2 months later...

OK, I sold all of the extra tires, except for one fairly crappy BFG MT. I bought it on CL for $20, when I thought it might have close enough tread depth to a set of 3 that I'd found, but it doesn't. And it has a plug. Here's the listing, with photos:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2675582280.html

If anyone on NPORA wants it, you can have it free. But you pick up in Seattle, or at the next run I make it to. In my opinion, it's not worth shipping, but I'd be willing to ship it for actual shipping costs and maybe some good karma.

In the end, my set of 5 31" BFG MTs (KM) cost me $300!

Nice!! LOL, I thought I was bad with a set of 5 31" BFG MT on the truck, 4 31" BFG AT, 4 235/75/15 M&S tires and 2 undersized spares (all in the garage and mounted of course) and a spare set of American Racing 15x7 aluminum rims... :whistle:

B