Weapon-R Intakes?

DesertFox

Well I'm in the market to do a CAI for my 2001 Pathy. I've looked at the K&N CAI, but $350 for a tad more power and a better sound isn't really worth it to me. I've also looked at the JWT Pop Chargers and was pretty set on going that route, but then I saw the Weapon-R intakes and was immediately interested. To me, paying a $50-$75 more for a full CAI instead of just a filter and adapter seems like a much better option. Besides, it's a shiny. :aok:

After discovering that Weapon-R makes intakes for the VQ R50s, I began my research. I found that they actually make two different models! I was in shock! A choice of aftermarket parts for a R50?! There's the Weapon-R Secret Weapon and the Weapon-R Dragon. So far the main differences that I can see are that the Secret Weapon is directly compatible with a RAM Air kit they sell and the Dragon is as well, but requires an adapter. Also, the Secret Weapon is $40 more, and also, in my opinion, looks better and cleaner. But when comparing the pictures, the only thing that was different in the pictures was the actual filter. The down tube, bracket, tubing, etc. was literally all the same.

So my question is: Has anyone used either of them? Do you like them? Noise? Performance? Does anyone know the actual differences between them?

Links:

Weapon-R Secret Weapon

Weapon-R Dragon Intake

Thanks a ton!

Edited by DesertFox

In, my opinion, the Dragon filter looks pretty cool, but I would go with the Secret Weapon because it doesn't need the Adaptor. I personally have never used them, nor do I know the difference performance wise, which I know doesn't really help, but hey! just givin' my two cents =)

Both look really slick, but I would do the Secret Weapon =)

Funny thing, they have it for the 98 too! it's only like 195 too. Hell, I might even think about this one. That webisite has a good selection on Grill Guards too... which is helpfull to me.

Sorry for goin off topic! Good luck in your decision! =)

If you don't have an exhaust to match your intake then you won't see more than maybe 1 or 2 hp gain with a lot more noise. Also, those filters aren't good for filtering anything smaller than small mammals. The Pathfinder intake is already as good as it gets so there isn't much room to modify it. Spend your money on an exhaust instead.

I'm not looking for huge performance gains. The noise mainly. As far as filtration, that's one reason I steered away from the K&N as I heard they weren't very good from a daily driver standpoint. What I liked about the Weapon-R is that it is a foam filter which is supposedly better.

I'll likely go for the Dragon because it is cheaper and mounting the RAM kit in the grille wouldn't be possible without a decent amount of modification due to there not being an routes to the grille from the intake area.

As for an exhaust, it will come later. For now, an intake will do. I would have gone with the JWT Popcharger, but would rather pay an extra $40 for the entire intake.

Edited by DesertFox

K&N not better than Weapon R? That's funny.

And JWT actually is the best intake for this vehicle, performance wise (of course with the addition of support mods, as an intake by itself won't really do anything).

BUT, the Weapon R sure does look good.

Jose

I'm not saying that K&N is a better company or make superior products. I had just read that although the K&N's are good performance wise, they aren't as good for daily driving.

The JWT was my initial choice, but like I said before, I'd rather pay a little bit extra in order to get an entire assembly. Like you said, the differences will be minuscule, so it might as well look good. So long as the filter does it's job and keeps stuff out of my engine and sounds better, I'm happy.

As for the intake not making a big difference, that's fine. When the exhaust comes later on then it will be more beneficial, but that will have to wait little while.

Edited by DesertFox

K&N or JWT. WeaponR has terrible fitment issues. I had one on my 97 and it sucked, I got a K&N for my 01 and was very impressed with it vs. the weaponR. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of the weaponR, stick with the JWT or K&N or leave the stock intake.

Foam filters can be iffy, too. If the foam is crumbly, and the engine sucks it in, I'm guessing it won't do the engine any favors. (I got a set of foam filters with the carburetors for my project car, and the foam was like angel food cake. It's getting different filters...)