Tierod end wont come out

trenton163

Hey, I cant get my outer tie rod end out. I plan on replacing all of them due to wear. I took the cotter pin and the lower nut off, and loosened the ram nut. I am using a tierod end separator tool, and they still wont budge. Does anyone have any advice, or am I missing something here? I thought they would just pop off?

Thanks

They can be pretty tight. You might need to: crank the tool harder, hit it with a hammer, or use a different type of tool. I had one type of tool that sucked so I took it back and got another that worked way better... just the shape of it let me get it seated much better. I think mine were on there tight enough that the tool was deforming the threaded part before it popped off with a loud bang. Just be thankful you aren't removing your pitman arm.

Smack the spindle where the TRE goes through with a 5pm sledge, and not some dainty little tap, put some momentum into it!

I recently had the same issue. The answer was in fact, get a bigger hammer. If you can smack the side of the joint hard enough, it will temporarily disfigure the tapered joint to pop it loose.

They can be pretty tight. You might need to: crank the tool harder, hit it with a hammer, or use a different type of tool. I had one type of tool that sucked so I took it back and got another that worked way better... just the shape of it let me get it seated much better. I think mine were on there tight enough that the tool was deforming the threaded part before it popped off with a loud bang. Just be thankful you aren't removing your pitman arm.

I got mine at autozone, So of course it bent, hahaha.

I recently had the same issue. The answer was in fact, get a bigger hammer. If you can smack the side of the joint hard enough, it will temporarily disfigure the tapered joint to pop it loose.

Okay, I was using a hammer, so I guess its a cause of going bigger.

Are you using a fork or the or the threaded press kind of tool?

If it is a "pickle" fork, you have to hit it pretty hard when they are stuck.

If is is the threaded kind, put a bar on it and tighten it up, and then tighten it some more.

Either way it should go.

I have always been suprised at how much force is needed to unseat them.

Thanks for all the help, I finally got them. took a lot of hitting, wd 40 and I bent my pickle hammer. But I got them off.

But then I went to re-install, only to find out that the threads on the inners are to small. Damn!