CB RADIO SETUPS

Silverfox03

Hey guys i just bought a brand new cb radio from radio shack, i know you guys prolly would have recommended something else but im sure it will work fine with the amount that ill be using it (includes lifetime warrantee.) i was curious to see your guys's cb setups with the antenna placement as well as the placement of the box inside the car. Any advice on where to mount the antenna it is a 27incher.

I did about 3 months of research and decided I wanted my dash mounted (so I bought this CB specifically for it's dimensions):

0213001111.jpg

Antenna is 2' FireStik that is on a hood channel mount - not the best location, but it works great for my purposes. Generally, antennas work best up high surrounded by a flat surface (like smack in the center of your roof).

P1010866.JPG

Edited by Rick13

I know this is R50 specific, but thought I'd toss in my input as well!

I like your install Rick! I may do the same as a WD21 has a Double-DIN spot. As of right now, my radio is wedged between the passenger seat and the center console. It was a quick and dirty job and just haven't gotten around to making it permanent. I'll have to see if I can make it work under my stereo.

As for the antenna I used a standard mirror mount clamp style, and longer hardware, and used an existing hole in my tire carrier. But as rick said, the more of the antenna that is above the roof line (preferably in the center) the better. The flat surface is considered a "ground plane". You see semi-trucks and some pick ups with two antennas because they don't have a proper ground plane so one of the antennas acts in place of it.

There are several threads that have covered this very topic. Try searching CB radio, CB location, CB mount, ect. Here is the one with, what I think, is the best all around info....

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20030&st=0&p=344381&hl="cb%20radio"&fromsearch=1entry344381

Here is my set up,

6037212008_8570042e04.jpg

cb by bammbritt, on Flickr

6036934801_d26d4916ba.jpg

cb2 by bammbritt, on Flickr

I use the "Little Wil" Wilson CB Magnet Mount Antenna. I got it from amazon for 35 bucks, it haas the coaxial cable and I just ran it through the back hatch with the antenna on the roof towards the back. I like being able to take it down if I need to. Works really good for such a short antenna. The fun thing is the PA function, I mounted a trumpet speaker in front of the radiator and ran the wire to the CB through the hole in the firewall for my amp power cord.

Edited by bammbritt

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is my set up,

6037212008_8570042e04.jpg

cb by bammbritt, on Flickr

6036934801_d26d4916ba.jpg

cb2 by bammbritt, on Flickr

I use the "Little Wil" Wilson CB Magnet Mount Antenna. I got it from amazon for 35 bucks, it haas the coaxial cable and I just ran it through the back hatch with the antenna on the roof towards the back. I like being able to take it down if I need to. Works really good for such a short antenna. The fun thing is the PA function, I mounted a trumpet speaker in front of the radiator and ran the wire to the CB through the hole in the firewall for my amp power cord.

I have that same stereo !! :tongue: