AC 1.5" Coils

87BeachCruiser

I've done quite a bit of searching and reading all the suspension lift threads, but have a couple questions and appreciate any help. I'm driving a two door (87) without a spare carrier and with a donut (but planning on carrying a full size spare when I find one). Plus tools, gear, dirty laundry, etc. whenever I leave the neighborhood.

Is anyone here using the shorter AC coils (https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-rear-coils-15-inches-of-lift-p-497.html)?

In all my searching I couldn't find anyone using these as opposed to the 3". My truck is sitting low, and these aren't much more expensive than stock replacements, so I'm wondering:

- How much lift did you get? How's the ride? How does it look?

- Which shocks are you using? From the big shock size thread I've got:

Stock:

Rancho RS5118

Ext - 22.250"

Coll - 14.00"

Lift:

RS5116

24.000" / 14.875"

RS5112

26.250 / 16.00"

So I guess it's either 5118 or 5116- any opinions?

- After the corresponding torsion bar lift in the front, will the smaller lift still screw up my front end geometry to where I'd need aftermarket UCAs? I read somewhere on here that the stock setup was good enough up till about 2" of lift.

Basically I want to return to stock height or gain a little bit but keep my 31s and keep it simple and inexpensive (and more importantly, easy enough to do on an NYC street in an afternoon without running around to junkyards looking for the perfect Jeep springs). I do 90% of my driving on the highway, although I occasionally go off-road camping/fishing/driving through big ruts on a sandy beach with four fat fisherman in the truck/etc. No rock crawling though.

Thanks.

you can do 1" up front with minimal stock IFS issues.

For loading I think the OME springs are better (they do provide some lift) because their intened use is increased load while maintianing smooth ride.

Are your stock springs sagged? Moog makes a fine set of progressive springs for stock replacement. Much more comfortable but still load up just fine.

Just don't replace stock with new stock.

If you are only keeping 31's i would go for the moog replacement ones from rock auto. They are a great price too. Then when you get them in you can see how much your front end needs cranked. I had a 1.5 inch crank on my oem control arms and it aligned just fine.

I have the 1.5" AC coils on my 93, with a slight t-bar lift in front, stock UCAs. In the 8 years since I installed the coils and cranked the bars I haven't had any real issues. I changed out my ball joints 2 years ago from wear, but they were the originals (16 years old). The springs initially gave me about 2" lift in the rear, but settled down after about 6 months, and haven't drooped yet. :aok:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. I meant to come back with some ride height measurements but the weather and laziness kept me from getting under the truck. Regardless it's definitely time for replacement shocks and coils, rear end sags, especially when loaded. I'm hoping to put an order in today to take advantage of Rancho's debit card special (50 bucks, which may go towards the purchase of an SS).

I'm leaning towards the AC coils. They're 30 bucks more than the moogs. I think I'd like a little bit of lift when I'm done (although I'm keeping the 31s), mainly to clear the ruts in the beaches entrances around here. Plus it'd look cooler. Other than the extra 30 bucks, anything I'm losing here? I don't imagine the extra 1.5" will affect ride / rollover quality too much.

Grim Greg, which shocks are you using in the rear? I'm thinking the 5116 will give a little extra travel and fit with no problems. Sound right? Interestingly, the Rancho site is listing these as for stock - http://www.gorancho.com/shock_lookup.php?year=1987&make=NISSAN&model=Pathfinder+&drive=4WD&height=Stock+-+2.50-in.&submodel=w%2F+Rancho+System&x=45&y=8

Thanks again y'all.