Attention Seattle/ Washington - Stolen Pathfinder!

MadManMike

Dang, it was in Burien? Did they tell you where? I'd like to know just how close to my house it was found...

It was found on 177th Pl just up from 1st Ave (at the apartment complex there). Which is really funny because it was parked about 2 blocks from my parents house. Well everything turned out pretty good :) No body damage and no interior damage. The only thing is the inside smells strong of weed and it looks like they left their joints burning on my dash (so little burn marks and ashes everywhere). The officer on scene called me at 9:30AM yesterday while I was at work (in Redmond) and asked if I could come pick it up. He said: "well its illegally parked so I should tow it but if you can pick it up sometime today I wont." So I called my parents who went down there and picked it up for me. Also, the officer said that the parking enforcement lady didn't give me a ticket because it was stolen and said she would not give it any tickets while it was parked there.

So it all worked out really well, didn't have to pay any tickets, didn't have to pay any impound or towing fees.. and no damage. They stole my digital camera (stupid me left it in there), and they stole my box of emergency supplies and tools. The best part of all, from my box of emergency stuff they dug around and threw out my recovery strap (from RedPath88 secret santa 2008), and threw out my jumper cables... Both of which are the only things I use from the emergency box...lol

Thanks for keeping your eyes out guys,

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

It was found on 177th Pl just up from 1st Ave (at the apartment complex there).

Thanks for keeping your eyes out guys,

-Mike

Dang! I drive on Ambaum and that portion of 1st quite frequently too! But I never turn on to 177th...

Found!

(Three weeks later) They found my pathy this morning, it was illegally parked out front of some apartment buildings like a block away from my parents house in Burien. Not sure of the extent of the damage yet, the officer told me that the ignition and doors looked fine, so it looks like they had a key, of some kind. Apparently they stole the speakers out of it (I am more worried about what they did to get to the speakers than about the speakers), but they left the stereo.

I will let you guys know more once I get to take a look at her.

-Mike

Sweet!! Getting an alarm??

Odds are it was a joyride/crime of opportunity deal.

People actually still do that?? When your plate can be run almost any time for many reasons?? It's worth the risk?? :scratchhead:

The officer on scene called me at 9:30AM yesterday while I was at work (in Redmond) and asked if I could come pick it up. He said: "well its illegally parked so I should tow it but if you can pick it up sometime today I wont." So I called my parents who went down there and picked it up for me. Also, the officer said that the parking enforcement lady didn't give me a ticket because it was stolen and said she would not give it any tickets while it was parked there.

So it all worked out really well, didn't have to pay any tickets, didn't have to pay any impound or towing fees.. and no damage.

Damn, cops actually handling things in a considerate, human fashion?? It's good to see for a change. Reward this behavior, have a box of doughnuts sent to the station with a thank you card...

B

People actually still do that?? When your plate can be run almost any time for many reasons?? It's worth the risk?? :scratchhead:

They probably used it to move something, and then dumped it.

Damn, cops actually handling things in a considerate, human fashion?? It's good to see for a change. Reward this behavior, have a box of doughnuts sent to the station with a thank you card...

B

The officer that was called to where my dads truck was, moved it out of the apartment lot and sat there and waited for us to get to it, he even started it up with his leatherman!

Ever used an ignition kill chip? All it does is interrupt the starter signal so the starter won't turn withou it in. my honda has it and is probably the only reason I still have it today

Isn't this sort of thing easy to bypass (if installed aftermarket)? Look under dash, find box, pull out wires and attach them together? Or is it somehow better than that?

Alarms and kill chips are old school... I want a setup where I can control the truck with a cell phone, and chase the would-be thief down the street with it. :D

The fuse isn't a bad idea though, I'll keep that in mind.

Edited by Slartibartfast

You have uh.... personal experience with this? Must be why you're not in the thieving business anymore, you weren't good at it.

Joyriders and opprotunity thiefs go for quick and simple, more work means more time screwing around to get it running. You wouldn't belive how simple it is to break a colum down in some cars. Even a 'club' type device will actully deter would be thiefs since it's more labor. Now if someone wants your specific ride, it will be gone one way or another...

Sweet!! Getting an alarm??

I already have a cheap "bulldog" security system installed, unfortunately after 3 years it stopped working about 4 months before the pathy got stolen.

I know right? It was nice to feel like the police are actually here to help me.

I think I am going to do two things: 1) I am going to install a kill switch for when I park in shady areas 2) I am going to get another alarm

However, now I am faced with a dilemma. During the 3 weeks where my pathfinder was gone, I bought a little 94 nissan sentra. Super ugly, but it gets 30mpg (pathy gets 15 or 16 on a good day). Now that I drive to work I am driving close to 500 miles a week. My insurance company keeps bugging me about re-insuring the pathfinder, but I don't have the cash right now. I don't want to sell it, but then again I don't want to pay insurance on it if I am not using it. :(

-Mike

Might be able to insure it as a secondary vechile at a letter rate. My eclipse hasn't moved in a couple years but still is insured (the one year when they asked the mileage it actually went backwards a mile from movig it to different parking spots at work and most of it being in reverse :lol: ). It's honestly cheaper for me to KEEP it insured as it helps te multi-car thing (for me)

I already have a cheap "bulldog" security system installed, unfortunately after 3 years it stopped working about 4 months before the pathy got stolen.

I know right? It was nice to feel like the police are actually here to help me.

I think I am going to do two things: 1) I am going to install a kill switch for when I park in shady areas 2) I am going to get another alarm

However, now I am faced with a dilemma. During the 3 weeks where my pathfinder was gone, I bought a little 94 nissan sentra. Super ugly, but it gets 30mpg (pathy gets 15 or 16 on a good day). Now that I drive to work I am driving close to 500 miles a week. My insurance company keeps bugging me about re-insuring the pathfinder, but I don't have the cash right now. I don't want to sell it, but then again I don't want to pay insurance on it if I am not using it. :(

-Mike

I have my pathfinder insured with Allstate as "parked". Basically means it isn't driven, but still covered by natural disasters and vandalism. It's a 1000 dollar deductable though, but it only increased my premium by 5-6 dollars.

Yep, here in Cali you can have a 'cert of non-op' which means registration fees are way cheaper and it is insurance exempt as long as you aren't driving it. A good option for any vehicle not used for 6+ months...

B

• 2 years later...

So in December of 2011 I sold this pathfinder because I was broke and the replacement vehicle I bought (the Sentra) got way better gas mileage. The guy I sold it to bought it to take on Ski trips up on the pass. I saw it around town a couple of times after that.

Fast forward 2.5 years.

I have put over 65,000 miles on my Sentra (yeah I drive a lot). It's been a good car but now I am looking to get another vehicle and want a 4x4 again! Decided to do a VIN# check on my old pathfinder to see if it was still around, thought about maybe buying it back if the guy still owned it. The last entry in Carfax is:

01/02/2014 Texas
Damage Report Vehicle at automotive recycler facility
Vehicle parts offered for sale

CARFAX recommends checking for damage during your pre-purchase inspection.

Kind of sucks to see that some dude took the first car I ever owned beat it to death and wrecked it. Especially after all the work I put into that thing. Not sure why it ended up in Texas? The last emissions test was just a few months before that in WA. Didn't say that it was totaled or anything.

So now I am on the hunt for another Pathy, or some other 4x4 goodness. This time it will be a secondary vehicle so I can make it even more of an offroader :D

Onward!

*snort*

Maybe it was well taken care of but wrecked through no fault of the owner, or maybe it was stolen, beaten and crashed. I am sorry it is essentially gone, but it is helping others keep running, and may not be the next owner's doing. :shrug:

B

Well the truth is I am really not that torn up about it. Also, I kind of want to blame it on the guy I sold it to because he was such a PITA when I was selling it to him.

Glad it is donating parts to people and not just crushed. There was a lot of brand new parts on it :)